Oem backup camera on Pioneer HU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'm looking to buy a good backup camera kit that will work with my Pioneer 4600bt. Preferably with the steering angle guide lines if possible

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the steering guide lines are controlled through the BCM. lots of cams come with the fixed guide lines.

what canbus module are you currently running with your pioneer? if any. some canbus modules can utilize the factory cameras. if this is the case you could do the OEM kit into the canbus module out to the pioneer.

IMO just buy any cam and use it. On my old '13 i just used a $30 amazon cam it had fixed grid lines so i just had to get use to what they meant.

OP
OP
Big Boi

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
the steering guide lines are controlled through the BCM. lots of cams come with the fixed guide lines.

what canbus module are you currently running with your pioneer? if any. some canbus modules can utilize the factory cameras. if this is the case you could do the OEM kit into the canbus module out to the pioneer.

IMO just buy any cam and use it. On my old '13 i just used a $30 amazon cam it had fixed grid lines so i just had to get use to what they meant.
I used these modules. And they have a backup camera input wire. I believe it's purple

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68038_Axxess-ASWC-1.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14514_Axxess-XSVI-6522-NAV.html

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i may be wrong but i dont believe that module can utilize the factory cam. the wire you are talking about is controlled off the canbus and it triggers the radio to go into back up mode when you put it in reverse. basically goes to 12+ when you put the truck in reverse. its not a video wire.

in your case you might as well just purchase any old back up cam and not worry about the moving grid lines. if you get one of the "bullet" style cams there is plenty of space you can drill a hole next to the tailgate handle just like factory.

dale.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just like baum said which is the same thing I did and I have the same head unit as you

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Big Boi

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Just like baum said which is the same thing I did and I have the same head unit as you

Which camera did you get?

alfred.romero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I got the Gino for my front and rear camera. Been 4 months for the rear and had no problems with it! I got the x5800bhs.

https://vimeo.com/158533468

For $10 it is so worth it and the video is surprisingly clear. Looks just like the one on my 2013 Mercedes. The lines are static though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big Boi

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I got the Gino for my front and rear camera. Been 4 months for the rear and had no problems with it! I got the x5800bhs.

https://vimeo.com/158533468

For $10 it is so worth it and the video is surprisingly clear. Looks just like the one on my 2013 Mercedes. The lines are static though.

Where is the front camera located?

alfred.romero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I got the black grill so it is inserted and siliconed in one of the smaller holes. Looks like it's not even there.

dale.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wired the red to the reverse trigger on trailer wiring just the red from the camera not the RCA black obviously to ground, ran it up to the head unit and just plugged in the RCA to the Brown input on the back. So leave the reds alone on RCA leads

alfred.romero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
You can also splice the RCA red wire to the 12V (red wire) on the head unit harness. The red runs the whole length of the cable to the other end and wire that to the red camera harness. Then all you would need to do is find a suitable ground for the camera harness (I used the tail light ground since I didn't want to splice the hitch wires that is open to the elements).

I did that for both Gino cameras I have (front ground point was on the chassis). Also worked on the two different double DINs I have used. But each HU didn't like the same ground points for some reason.

The front camera is on the lower left grill. Can you find it?

746d06a9fd6d39d0eb884ca4843c6354.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big Boi

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I wired the red to the reverse trigger on trailer wiring just the red from the camera not the RCA black obviously to ground, ran it up to the head unit and just plugged in the RCA to the Brown input on the back. So leave the reds alone on RCA leads

Cool. I'll rewire mine first

OP
OP
Big Boi

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You can also splice the RCA red wire to the 12V (red wire) on the head unit harness. The red runs the whole length of the cable to the other end and wire that to the red camera harness. Then all you would need to do is find a suitable ground for the camera harness (I used the tail light ground since I didn't want to splice the hitch wires that is open to the elements).

I did that for both Gino cameras I have (front ground point was on the chassis). Also worked on the two different double DINs I have used. But each HU didn't like the same ground points for some reason.

The front camera is on the lower left grill. Can you find it?

746d06a9fd6d39d0eb884ca4843c6354.jpg

Thx for the info guys. I'll rewire mine

I had to zoom in, but it's on the passenger side lower grill, about 2" up from the bottom?

dale.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's just the way I did mine and it worked hope it works for you!

alfred.romero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Thx for the info guys. I'll rewire mine

I had to zoom in, but it's on the passenger side lower grill, about 2" up from the bottom?

Yup you found it.

I think both installation methods are fine. As long as you get power to the camera. Rewire first and switch ground points before buying another one. That is why I ended up with a front camera! Thought my rear was broke when I swapped head units. Ended up being the ground after hours of troubleshooting!