OEM/Factory Radio No Workie...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MayerMR

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 & 2014
Engine
3.7 & 3.0 EcoDiesel
Hey fellas,

I'm in the process of "restoring" a 2005 Ram 1500 SCSB truck that I picked up with a blown motor. Now that I've replaced the motor with one I rebuilt and got it running great, I'm starting to try to delve into some of the other issues. The foremost issue for me right now is the OEM radio. When I first got the truck and put a battery in it, the radio display (OEM standard tape deck) would light up with the interior lights, but would only show a random set of numbers that didn't make any sense (like a "30" in the 12 part of the "12:00" part of the display) or other random numbers. I never got any sound or anything from it. After replacing the ECM and getting the truck running good, I realized that the radio was now deader than a doornail. Nothing works except the interior backlighting. I then got another radio from a friend of mine from what of his donor trucks. That said, that radio wasn't in good shape either, so it could likely be bad too. That said, I have the same issue with this radio. Nothing works at all except the backlighting.

Issues those helping me may need know - the dude that had it before me side swiped something and clipped the antenna. It was bent at an angle when I got it and I just unscrewed it and re-fastened it to the fender properly this past weekend. Not sure if that could cause any issues with the radio, but anyway, thought I'd include it.

So what I've done:

Checked the Radio and Dash/Gauges fuses - they are good
Checked the connectors in the back of the radio - they are securely fastened

Thanks for your help!

-Matt

OP
OP
MayerMR

MayerMR

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 & 2014
Engine
3.7 & 3.0 EcoDiesel
Thanks for the reply. I saw that thread already but discounted that as a possibility when I saw it was for a 8.4 system since mine is much older and had a tape deck. But you're prob right. I should look for that fuse anyway.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The power wiring for the radios should be the same for all the radios, it's the output wiring to the speakers/amp that would change.

OP
OP
MayerMR

MayerMR

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 & 2014
Engine
3.7 & 3.0 EcoDiesel
Well, I checked the harness today over lunch and didn't find any fuse going into the harness where that other thread indicated. I'm thinking there may have been some changes between 2005 and the 2010+ trucks. I appreciate the lead though!