Off Road Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

65Plymouth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Well. I am still waiting on buying my 2500. Mainly waiting on Volkswagen to to buyback my two TDI's as part of their huge emissions scandal. So, as of now, I am being held hostage by VW. Needless to say, it may be a few months before I am serious about buying and head out to the dealers (regardless of what I have posted previously)

Ram released news of an "off road" package in February of this year. I guess it comes with skid plates, hill decent control, locker in the rear, all-terrain tires, Bilstien shocks and some other minor items (decals). I have been going back an forth between a lower optioned Power Wagon Tradesman and a regular SLT. I am thinking the "off road package" may be a nice compromise. BUT, I am not sure what it offers (other than hill decent control) that I couldn't add to an SLT as an option. Living in MI, I doubt I would ever use hill decent control. Would rather have the Power Wagon's winch!

Any thoughts on the new off road package?
I heard it would be available in the 3rd quarter of this year but have not heard of specific dates or prices. Any news on this package???

If anyone can link a previous discussion on this topic that would be helpful.

Thanks

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Your not getting the fuel tank skid plate. Its the only skid plate you need as everything else is protected by the axle or cross member

OP
OP

65Plymouth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
it's easier if you read this first

2015-2017 Ram Power Wagon: Off-Road Pickup Trucks Return

and a power wagon has reduced cargo capacity and towing capacity because of the springs (springs have a 2" raised ride height but less rate)

Read it.. Thank you... I am quite familiar with the differences between the Power Wagon and the standard 2500. Really don't feel like I "need" many of the cool features the power wagon has. I would like some of the features it has hence my question about the 2500 SLT with the new "Off Road Package".

Not that I tow a lot of heavy loads (or plan to), It is a bummer that the power wagon has 1/2 ton hauling and towing capabilities. That sucks!

Looking at Ram's website it appears I can add the following options to a Standard 2500 SLT

- Skid Plates
- Anti-Slip rear end
- Tow hooks
- 4:10 Gear
- 18" wheels with All Terrain Tires.

Then... Looking at what the "off road package" may offer later this year I would not be able to get the following on a truck without the off road package...

- Bilstein shocks
- Off road decal
- Hill decent control (I would likely never use this)
- Factory fender flares

That looks to be about it... Maybe I just convinced myself to stick with a standard 2500 SLT. I would probably have to order it as I definitely want 4:10 gears. Can buy Factory fender flares and Bilstein shocks if I really want them.

I wish Ram would have taken the new off road package and offered a bit more instead of the typical Chevy Z71 dress up... Instead of hill descent, give the package front and rear lockers ala the power wagon.. maybe a winch... I bet hill decent control is useless for 95% of truck buyers.

PWR-WAGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Not that I tow a lot of heavy loads (or plan to), It is a bummer that the power wagon has 1/2 ton hauling and towing capabilities. That sucks!

I certainly don't want to open the can of worms and bring on a debate about the PW's reduced ratings, but I can assure you that the numbers are somewhat misleading (although still a legal limitation). It's still a 3/4 ton truck with a stout frame, brakes, powertrain, etc... This has been debated in a few other forums, but the only real differences mechanically are the reduced spring rates, D-Rated tires (although with the same load capacity as regular 2500's), higher ride height and limited front GAWR due to the Articulink set-up. I'm not sure if alll that justifies the significantly lower GVWR of the PW, but that's what RAM decided.

The PW is a niche vehicle, so it's ratings don't get highlighted much as a negative. That being said, I would definitely tow/haul at max with my PW with confidence. Can't really say that about most half-tons.

OP
OP

65Plymouth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
I certainly don't want to open the can of worms and bring on a debate about the PW's reduced ratings, but I can assure you that the numbers are somewhat misleading (although still a legal limitation). It's still a 3/4 ton truck with a stout frame, brakes, powertrain, etc... This has been debated in a few other forums, but the only real differences mechanically are the reduced spring rates, D-Rated tires (although with the same load capacity as regular 2500's), higher ride height and limited front GAWR due to the Articulink set-up. I'm not sure if alll that justifies the significantly lower GVWR of the PW, but that's what RAM decided.

The PW is a niche vehicle, so it's ratings don't get highlighted much as a negative. That being said, I would definitely tow/haul at max with my PW with confidence. Can't really say that about most half-tons.

I appreciate your opinion... I am still considering a Power Wagon tradesman as I really don't tow anything other than my M101A2 Military trailer back and forth to deer camp. No plans for a 5th wheel or large boat in my immediate future.

***Does anyone know approximately (time of year) that I would no longer be able to order a 2016 truck? Can I order one until Jan 1st 2017 or is there a cut off date? I may not be ready to buy until this fall and if I had to order, I would want a 2016. I do not care for the giant RAM badges on the tailgate of the 2017 nor do I like the grill.

Thoughts?
Thanks

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
wait until 2017 and get the new PW

OP
OP

65Plymouth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
wait until 2017 and get the new PW

Don't like the new grill or giant RAM lettering on the tailgate. However, I may be forced to wait for the 2017's as I am not sure how long I have to order a 2016.

Probably not long based on my research.. Found a few sites saying July is the last month to order a new 2016... Not sure how accurate that is.

I know the blacked out powder coated bumpers on the 2017 PW look cool, I think they would be scratched/scuffed immediately while driving down a logging road or through tight areas. Cant beat chrome for that.... Most everything will polish off of a chrome bumper.

I am hoping all the 2017's do not have the gaudy (IMO) Ram grill and giant lettering on the tailgate. I think the letters on the tailgate are not two way taped either. I think they are molded into the gate. Someone with a rebel can correct me if I am wrong.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I HATE the giant ram badge too. im sure it can be removed if we really wanted though. might be a few holes to fill.... the black powder coat on my bumper seems tough. i like it more because when it gets scratched up im going to reinforce both with some more steel inside of them, and stronger braces vs factory sheet metal, and then get them rhino lined. it suck removing chrome if you need too.

or you can just keep repainting them

EDIT: I actually pulled up next to a guy at a light with the giant badge on the tailgate, laughing of course. We rolled the windows down and I told him "it"s a little big don't ya think" (TWSS) he said "they sure are proud of it aren't they!

Last edited:

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
they start making the next model year in July, my '16 PW was built in July 2015

not saying that is set in stone, a dealership maybe able to answer that

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Um, being that I upgraded from a 1500 to a PW I can assure you that it doesn't have 1500 ratings. FCA lawyers made them derate it. Guys on the PW Registry who disassembled and rebuilt their winch discovered that they are the M15000; basically a 15000lb winch that for some reason, Ram says is rated to 12,000lbs.

I believe the derating is for liability reasons. Most likely because of the lift and the springs being softer, etc. Heavy off-roading and heavy towing put a lot of stress on the vehicle. It's best to convince people to do one or the other. Both is double the wear.

But it should, in theory, be able to do the same job as a similarly equipped 2500 with 6.4. But it will have increased squat because the coils are softer to allow for greater articulation when offroad.

-----

On another note, that hill descent is really nice when off road. I've tried it a few times now. But it's for real offroading.

Also the PW gets additional skid protection compared to the standard flare.

I don't think Ram's off-road package should get the same features as the PW. But I have thought to myself that the Rebel and the Off-Road package should come with hill descent and a rear locker. That would make put both in a class ahead of the other manufacturers. They can leave the front dif open for cost savings.

Besides, you've gotta really be crawling to need both front and rear locked.

Last edited:

PWR-WAGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Um, being that I upgraded from a 1500 to a PW I can assure you that it doesn't have 1500 ratings. FCA lawyers made them derate it. Guys on the PW Registry who disassembled and rebuilt their winch discovered that they are the M15000; basically a 15000lb winch that for some reason, Ram says is rated to 12,000lbs.

I believe the derating is for liability reasons. Most likely because of the lift and the springs being softer, etc. Heavy off-roading and heavy towing put a lot of stress on the vehicle. It's best to convince people to do one or the other. Both is double the wear.

But it should, in theory, be able to do the same job as a similarly equipped 2500 with 6.4. But it will have increased squat because the coils are softer to allow for greater articulation when offroad.

-----

On another note, that hill descent is really nice when off road. I've tried it a few times now. But it's for real offroading.

Also the PW gets additional skid protection compared to the standard flare.

I don't think Ram's off-road package should get the same features as the PW. But I have thought to myself that the Rebel and the Off-Road package should come with hill descent and a rear locker. That would make put both in a class ahead of the other manufacturers. They can leave the front dif open for cost savings.

Besides, you've gotta really be crawling to need both front and rear locked.

I second this! The PW's ratings are arbitrary BS that RAM had to compromise on for legality's sake. I don't think it's ideal for fifth wheel towing (height and rear springs), but it will handle anything else another 2500 gasser can.

I'm not saying the PW is the best option for everyone, but another thing to consider is resale value. Here in the west, PWs are highly desirable and hold their value better than non-PW RAM trucks.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that the 2017 PW will still be available in Tradesman trim with more subdued looks. I don't know for sure if that includes the tailgate, but may be worth inquiring about.

OP
OP

65Plymouth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Guys... You are NOT making my decision between a 2500 SLT and a Power Wagon any easier!!! Damn.. Good points!!

I doubt I will have my **** together by July so I can order a 2016. So, that leaves me with a used 2016 or a new 2017's. I am really hung up on the PW RAM badging and black powder coated bumpers for the 2017 model year. Yeah, I get they are powder coating the bumpers for Durability as well as looks but I think the black power coat will show every single scuff/scratch. I have black powder coated wheels on my current Silverado and I can tell you they have not held up well AT ALL..

2016 Power Wagon w/tradesman trim are very rare around here. Yes, there are several 2016 PW within 200 miles, but most are the standard PW or the Laramie with window stickers in the mid to high 50's.. Not possible for me.. I am looking for something OTD in the $35,000-$40,000 range.

I really hate the new RAM grill and tailgate. Anything that has the massive RAM lettering will automatically be thrown out. Again, just one man's opinion.

Also, I am hung up on axle ratios. I want a 4:10 rear end with anti-slip. No exceptions. It is VERY hard to find a 4:10 in anything that is not a PW. They just don't have them on the lots. Everything I have read says the 6.4 and trans perform better with the 4:10. If I get a 2500 SLT I plan on getting larger tires so the 4:10 will be cut down a bit.

Decisions... decisions. I wish I could just order what I want but may not be able to take advantage of incentives and dealer special pricing like I would for trucks sitting on the lots.

Thanks for all the input..

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
guys... You are not making my decision between a 2500 slt and a power wagon any easier!!! Damn.. Good points!!

I doubt i will have my **** together by july so i can order a 2016. So, that leaves me with a used 2016 or a new 2017's. I am really hung up on the pw ram badging and black powder coated bumpers for the 2017 model year. Yeah, i get they are powder coating the bumpers for durability as well as looks but i think the black power coat will show every single scuff/scratch. I have black powder coated wheels on my current silverado and i can tell you they have not held up well at all..

2016 power wagon w/tradesman trim are very rare around here. Yes, there are several 2016 pw within 200 miles, but most are the standard pw or the laramie with window stickers in the mid to high 50's.. Not possible for me.. I am looking for something otd in the $35,000-$40,000 range.

I really hate the new ram grill and tailgate. Anything that has the massive ram lettering will automatically be thrown out. Again, just one man's opinion.

Also, i am hung up on axle ratios. I want a 4:10 rear end with anti-slip. No exceptions. It is very hard to find a 4:10 in anything that is not a pw. They just don't have them on the lots. Everything i have read says the 6.4 and trans perform better with the 4:10. If i get a 2500 slt i plan on getting larger tires so the 4:10 will be cut down a bit.

Decisions... Decisions. i wish i could just order what i want but may not be able to take advantage of incentives and dealer special pricing like i would for trucks sitting on the lots.

thanks for all the input..

from what i was told you will get the incentives on your truck (from you dealer of choice) that are in place at the time of delivery. So its kinda a shot in the dark as to what they will be offering when you get it.

PWR-WAGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Guys... You are NOT making my decision between a 2500 SLT and a Power Wagon any easier!!! Damn.. Good points!!

I doubt I will have my **** together by July so I can order a 2016. So, that leaves me with a used 2016 or a new 2017's. I am really hung up on the PW RAM badging and black powder coated bumpers for the 2017 model year. Yeah, I get they are powder coating the bumpers for Durability as well as looks but I think the black power coat will show every single scuff/scratch. I have black powder coated wheels on my current Silverado and I can tell you they have not held up well AT ALL..

2016 Power Wagon w/tradesman trim are very rare around here. Yes, there are several 2016 PW within 200 miles, but most are the standard PW or the Laramie with window stickers in the mid to high 50's.. Not possible for me.. I am looking for something OTD in the $35,000-$40,000 range.

I really hate the new RAM grill and tailgate. Anything that has the massive RAM lettering will automatically be thrown out. Again, just one man's opinion.

Also, I am hung up on axle ratios. I want a 4:10 rear end with anti-slip. No exceptions. It is VERY hard to find a 4:10 in anything that is not a PW. They just don't have them on the lots. Everything I have read says the 6.4 and trans perform better with the 4:10. If I get a 2500 SLT I plan on getting larger tires so the 4:10 will be cut down a bit.

Decisions... decisions. I wish I could just order what I want but may not be able to take advantage of incentives and dealer special pricing like I would for trucks sitting on the lots.

Thanks for all the input..

I read this a lot in other forums and blogs too. However, I'm not sure a lot of folks know why FCA is going this route with RAM. They already made RAM a stand alone brand and I think ditching the traditional Dodge cross-hair grill is the next step. I kinda like the new grill as it has a ram horn element but the giant RAM lettering on the tailgate is hideous. My gut says when they do the next major update on the trucks in a year or two that the cross-hair grill will be eliminated all together.

I say wait till the 2017 comes out and see what the Tradesman PW looks like. If it has the blacked out bumpers, new grill and big-lettered tailgate maybe we can work out a swap. I'm 50/50 right now that I might black everything out and ditch the chrome anyway!!! :naughty:

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
Longiveity is why the PW has a lower rated payload and towing. Sure you can take a prius and haul 1000lbs of concrete once but try it everyday. Same principle with the PW. Then toss in the J2807 standard and there's the answer. I think the PW will soon be offered in 2wd like the Z71 and TRD off-road as they are the new fade. Everyone wants the looks of a big truck but no one uses it as intended, aka mall crawlers.

A Weighty Issue: Calculating Real-World Payload, Towing Capacities - PickupTrucks.com News

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Danno

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
In other words, the only feature you get over the current model trucks is hill descent control and crappy Bilstein shocks. The rest is already available on the 2500.

Exactly, you get a logo.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
i wonder if the body lines are close enough to swap out the tailgate for a 2016.