Officially a 1st Gen member today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I've always liked the 1st Gen trucks. Almost bought a really nice looking 91 a while back, but couldn't agree on price. I've continued off and on to follow-up on a few that I've found. Surprising to me there are a lot of 1st Gens running around, sadly many have been beat on pretty hard and are only still on the road as a testament to their toughness. I found mostly by good fortune a one owner 89 diesel 2wd that the keys were finally taken away from the original owner (sad). His mechanic was holding the truck and made the arrangement for the sale. It was a special ordered truck and has power mirrors, cruise control and AC. First time I've seen these offered on a 89'. Steering is tight, newly rebuilt 727 with an upgraded TC. All fluids have been changed, oil and filters were given to me for the next round of maintenance. Needs tires, they have only a little tread left. Body is pretty straight and needs paint. It's has a new lift pump and starter and the pin fix done. Need to find and reinstall the original air filter. Which is the only thing I don't like. The door panels need a little gluing and repair. The seat is in excellent condition. Glass is all good. This is the support truck for my Redtruck. Very happy with the purchase. Wife looked at it and asked, WTH is that? She has no eye for beauty. lol

KoJbky.jpg
qrCtkb.jpg

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That is a beautiful example of an early first gen Cummins.

Nice score.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I was surprised at how smooth this deal went. Sometimes you feel like you are trying to pull teeth. The guy I dealt with was a pleasure to talk to and deal with. Plus he had a old bull dog as sweet as honey. I like standup country folks who talk straight and are honest. We spoke about money once when I confirmed the price he was asking was right and I said I was good with it. He was proud of representing the truck and being a friend of the owner who is in his nineties and must be a real character. It was an enjoyable experience.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles an how much if you don't mind me asking?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Just please tell me you're going to fluid film or undercoat it if you run it during the winter. lol

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
sweet. that is a clean looking truck. you know the best think about those early non intercooled engine is they got bigger injectors from the factory and respond pretty good when you intercool and tune them.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Well I took the Farm Plate off this morning so it is now unrestricted. I ordered tires today, with them to be installed tomorrow along with a wheel alignment and suspension check. Taking the fifth wheel plate out tomorrow also while at the shop. It's been a Virginia truck from the start and has a tiny bit of rust on one rear fender. I'll have a pretty good idea how it's holding up after the inspection. It drives amazingly well even with mis-matched tires that are cupped. May not ride as nice once the big plate is removed. I'm really liking this old farm truck.... lol

CUZIoY.jpg

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Posted the wrong picture before, actually meant to point out the tailgate trim is held on by genuine wood screws.... :)

It was the last fix the old man made before giving up his keys... both the mechanic and I had a pretty good laugh. I'm thinking of leaving it that way for awhile..... lol

WBZcwf.jpg

Last edited:

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Lol, it sounds like he wasn't as laissez-faire about the engine as he was about the body work thank goodness.

I'm studying your tailgate to see if my bumper is at about the right height since my tailgate is still missing.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
The family mechanic did all the real maintenance, the old gent also really liked electrical tape. Still have the throttle pedal wrapped up like a mummy.....

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Hahaha. Have fun.....and if you come up with a good cup holder solution can you let me know, I'm always looking for ideas.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Thanks guys, as for the cup holder, I was out there this morning with my coffee getting ready to leave and was hunting for a spot and didn't find one... Left the cup in the car port. lol Something obviously needs to be done!

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, as for the cup holder, I was out there this morning with my coffee getting ready to leave and was hunting for a spot and didn't find one... Left the cup in the car port. lol Something obviously needs to be done!

Lol! That is a cool beast though, I really like it!

They are sorta like an English Bulldog, big and strong, ugly to some people, but still popular!

Like this:

Attachments

• EnglishBulldog.jpg
    EnglishBulldog.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 30

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
depending on the size of the cup it usually goes on the dash. just make sure to grab it before turning. in my 93 i got a cup holder just sitting there leaning against the seat and it usually works good but you could always get away with gluing earth magnets to the bottom of a cup holder and stick it where you want. now eventually i would like to attach the cup holder out of a 98 Plymouth voyager to my seat like this
20140628_203216.jpg

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
That would definitely work. I saw one with a very nice center console mounted to the floor. It would place the cup at arms length. I'll have to see if I can find it's source.