offset and backspacing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

El_Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic SLT
Engine
My SLT has factory 17x7 wheels with stock goodyear tires. I want to upgrade to either 33's or 35's depending on how much lift i get later. Anyway, my question is more about wheels. I'd like to upgrade to either wider 17's or 18's. I'd like my tires to poke out about 1" from the fenders and not sure which offset/backspacing I should be looking at. Can you guys help with that? For example, what offset should I look for for 18x8?

Thanks all.

rod from md

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My SLT has factory 17x7 wheels with stock goodyear tires. I want to upgrade to either 33's or 35's depending on how much lift i get later. Anyway, my question is more about wheels. I'd like to upgrade to either wider 17's or 18's. I'd like my tires to poke out about 1" from the fenders and not sure which offset/backspacing I should be looking at. Can you guys help with that? For example, what offset should I look for for 18x8?

Thanks all.
theres a bunch of threads here that i searched before i made my decision

the short answer is 20X10 -18 offset fit my needs . didnt see the need to go past 10 wide and my wheels have the nice deep lip i wanted without getting too far out of the fenders

sounds like a good fit for your description

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Tire availability (and cost) can be more limited depending on wheel size. I run 18x9 with a -12 offset. Tire is 37x12.5 advertised size. Actual size is closer to 36". KM3 is known for running a little smaller. But when I picked these the available choices were significantly less then if I had a 17" wheel.

You'll find a Tire that fits whatever wheel diameter you choose but it may not be your first choice of tire manu and size, that's all I'm getting at.

Upto 13.5" wide tire can be run on a 9" wide wheel, fact check that to be certain.

Just for completeness, offset isn't necessarily 0 for stock wheels. The power wagon was +56 mm or something stock. Many owners go to +18 to 0 due to max clearance with regard to 37" Tire size. 37s can be cleared on a wagon w stock suspension with the +18 to 0 offset. Just saying so you know there may be future considerations for your truck.

Here's -12 offset, pics always clear stuff up or confirm for me.
738b09fd33f3e0b5893afc41853d311f.jpg

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Goto www.customwheeloffset.com

Ignore backspacing and use offset. Positive offset brings the wheel in closer and negative moves it out. My guess is probably -12 or -18
Nice avatar photo, that's badass. Reminds me of my dog hanging from the side of the boat.

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, quick question...

A guy here just offered to swap the stock rims and tires on my 17 Laramie for his XD779 Badlands in milled and black with Fuel 33x12.5x20 and tons of tread. Says he wants to go back to stock cause they are a little to aggressive for his wife on his 15 Ram Big Horn... bit of road noise.

The question is: will these fit under my 17 Laramie with no lift, or at worse, a spacer? is the stock Big Horn suspension any higher than the Laramie? The XDs have -12 offset which should be enough to keep the clearance on the control arms. He sent me pics of his wheels at full lock left and right and they look like they clear easy.

Thoughts?wheel.jpg wheel3.jpg wheel4.jpg wheel2.jpg

Last edited:

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should be fine. -12 offset is about 1.5" poke out past stock, 0 offset will be around 1" poke out.

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Should be fine. -12 offset is about 1.5" poke out past stock, 0 offset will be around 1" poke out.

Yep, My thoughts too. Just have to get used to a more aggressive tread design and possibly a little noise, but have been thinking about trying something different and this just fell into my lap...straight up trade.

Probably pull the trigger this weekend.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, My thoughts too. Just have to get used to a more aggressive tread design and possibly a little noise, but have been thinking about trying something different and this just fell into my lap...straight up trade.

Probably pull the trigger this weekend.
i like -12offset in pretty much all of my applications where i can run a 35 or 37 tire. No rub on control arms tipically, and just enough poke for a better stance and little wider footprint.

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i like -12offset in pretty much all of my applications where i can run a 35 or 37 tire. No rub on control arms tipically, and just enough poke for a better stance and little wider footprint.

Do the Laramie and Big Horn have the same suspension geometry in stock configuration? Didn't know if the BH might have somet4hing different as it may be considered a "work truck".

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I went with the 20x12 -44 offset ...

On an 18x8 wheel you will probably only find -28 offset and no more .... that is when the backspacing comes into play as well ... on an 18x10 you can get up to -53 offset ...

OP
OP
El_Dude

El_Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic SLT
Engine
from the two below i think I rather get the -25 because they wont poke out as much, is that right? I just want a nice stance not to be very aggressive. What do you all think about these wheels? They are 20x10.

-25 offset
https://www.customwheeloffset.com/b...&model=1500&drive=RWD&suspension=Leveling+Kit

-44 offset
https://www.customwheeloffset.com/b...&model=1500&drive=RWD&suspension=Leveling+Kit

Also I'll be getting a Maxtrac lift sometime this year. I'm undecided on the 4.5" lift or the 7" but I'm leaving more towards the 4.5". So I also need to think about tire size. Not sure if to go 33" or 35". That customwheeloffset site is awesome to get ideas on what stuff looks like on your truck. There are very little examples on 33" with 4.5" lift tho, mostly older gen rams.

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went with the 20x12 -44 offset ...

On an 18x8 wheel you will probably only find -28 offset and no more .... that is when the backspacing comes into play as well ... on an 18x10 you can get up to -53 offset ...

Yeah, and that looks like it works well with your 7" Lift, Fox 2.0 shocks, and Core 4x4 Upper Control Arms!!

Just wondering about possibilities without any lift - Stock suspension - or maybe, at worse, a spacer....as far as combination of wheel/tires. Looks like the Fuel Gripper M/T with XD779 Badlands all on 20" will work just fine...

OP
OP
El_Dude

El_Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic SLT
Engine
So I went ahead and purchased the Maxtrac 4.5" lift. I'm still undecided if I want 33's or 35's, and now leaning more towards 18's or 20's.

On this forum I've read the Maxtrac spindle will push front wheels out 1" so will need to take this into consideration when choosing wheel offset as I don't want to to poke out too much.

I'm having a hard time picking the offset because in customwheeloffset.com several Rams with same wheel width, same Maxtrac lift, but different offset seem to look the same as far as stance goes.

These are two examples:

20x9 -12 offset
https://www.customwheeloffset.com/w...-****-cepek-dc-2-maxtrac-suspension-lift-45in

20x9 +18 offset.
https://www.customwheeloffset.com/w...00-xd-monster-ii-maxtrac-suspension-lift-45in

probably because there is only about an inch of difference and kinda hard to see in the pics. And tires may be masking the look too.. I may just be overthinking it. haha

I like the look of it sticking out just a bit, not too much.

Help a dude out in decision making?

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
well if you are doing a 4.5 inch lift go with 35's. it'll look stupid with 33's. Also if you have a 1500 which I think you do, go with a 12.5 wide tire or 315 or whatever and a zero or 1 offset. That'll get you the look you are going for. When I owned a 1500 I had oem flares and that offset and tire combo was pretty close to flush if not a little further than the flare.

VA-RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I went ahead and purchased the Maxtrac 4.5" lift. I'm still undecided if I want 33's or 35's, and now leaning more towards 18's or 20's.

On this forum I've read the Maxtrac spindle will push front wheels out 1" so will need to take this into consideration when choosing wheel offset as I don't want to to poke out too much.

I'm having a hard time picking the offset because in customwheeloffset.com several Rams with same wheel width, same Maxtrac lift, but different offset seem to look the same as far as stance goes.

These are two examples:

20x9 -12 offset
https://www.customwheeloffset.com/w...-****-cepek-dc-2-maxtrac-suspension-lift-45in

20x9 +18 offset.
https://www.customwheeloffset.com/w...00-xd-monster-ii-maxtrac-suspension-lift-45in

probably because there is only about an inch of difference and kinda hard to see in the pics. And tires may be masking the look too.. I may just be overthinking it. haha

I like the look of it sticking out just a bit, not too much.

Help a dude out in decision making?

This may help you out a bit in getting a different visual on different combo of wheels and tires...at least where clearance is conceed...make sure to check ot the informaiton at the bottom of the page after you put in whatever informaiton your thinking about.....

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Also I forgot to mention this.........Someone did mention earlier customwheeloffsets.com It's a great source for pictures. Most of the wheels you see in pictures are 20's. Wheels can look drastically different in a smaller size and offset. If the wheel is really dished, chances are it's a very negative offset. So if you go with something more positive it might not give you the look you are going for. Anything with around a zero usually looks ok in that department. Just google tons of pictures. There's a bunch of wheels out there and they always look different in person. I just saw a black rhino artillery wheel this week in person and it wasn't anything special online but it was bad ass in person.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500