Oil Change at Dealership?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I paid 115.00 for a Pennzoil ultra platinum oil change. First time anyone but my self has ever changed the oil on my vehicle.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What average cost have you guys been paying if you furnish your own oil and filter?
Jay

ScottFL

U.S. Navy Gulf War Vet
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn 4X4
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Only have about 1400 on the truck now so I've not had my first oil change yet, but upon logging into the Mopar site I somehow got a 4 oil change in 2 years plan?

The thing I found curios was;
"OIL AND OIL FILTER CHANGES: The Plan provides for 4 oil and oil filter change(s). The Plan will pay up to $30.00 for each oil/filter change and lube. Any dealer charges in excess of the amount allowed by the Plan are your responsibility. This service MUST be performed by a Dealer and used by the expiration date of the plan"

So, should I be expecting the dealer to say, oh you got a V8 so you owe us $$$?

Also, upon the end of two years, if the plan only cost $79 I would definitely order it, is it something you buy on the Mopar site or at the dealer?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think sometimes dealers have their own "plans" that they sometimes use as an incentive for buyers, both before and after the sale.
Jay

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
like what? I do oil changes every 6k to 7500 miles

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Here is the deal. Not all the oil companies will tell you that Synthetic base stocks will allow you to extend OCI. In fact, Pennzoil has a policy of saying that the manufacture of the vehicle, not the oil company, are the only ones who can tell you the proper OCI. Mobil, Amsoil and probably some others take the liberty of claiming longer OCIs but they typically also specify an upgraded filter to go with longer OCIs.

The bottom line is that if you don't follow FCIs recommended OCIs with the suggested MS-6395 spec oil of the proper viscosity, there is the possibility of issues with warranty work on the vehicle.

After warranty I'd have no problem with longer OCIs as long as you verify the condition of the oil based upon an lab analysis of the used oil. Of course, by the time you pay for that any benefit of a longer OCI is lost.

My take is that you are best off just using an MS-6395 based product and changing it at the design interval. If it makes you feel better to use one of the more expensive flavors, do so. You can often get the synthetic on sale if you are super shopper willing to send in mail-in-rebates (or internet based ones). I've done it and used high quality Pennzoil Ultra on changes for roughly the same price as a quality "standard" oil. To be honest though it only would make a difference in extreme conditions. There is something to be said for 0W-20 synthetic in the great white north.

I'm busy enough though that I've just standardized on Chevron Supreme 5W-20 off Amazon (<$12 5-Qt). Our weather is mild year-round so I don't deal with sub-arctic conditions and I buy the filters in bulk off Rock Auto and an oil change cost me < $20. The Chevron product is top-notch so it isn't like you are cutting your throat to save a few dollars on an oil change. Other things will kill your engine first.

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i buy my own mobil 1 full synthetic and my local dealer charges me $28.00 which includes mopar oil filter,labor,oil disposal,full inspection and 1 free jug of windshield washer fluid.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
"OIL AND OIL FILTER CHANGES: The Plan provides for 4 oil and oil filter change(s). The Plan will pay up to $30.00 for each oil/filter change and lube. Any dealer charges in excess of the amount allowed by the Plan are your responsibility. This service MUST be performed by a Dealer and used by the expiration date of the plan"

So, should I be expecting the dealer to say, oh you got a V8 so you owe us $$$?

I've not experienced an upcharge on the Mopar oil change contracts. I thought the same as you because the Hemi uses more than 5 quarts of oil. I asked the question before I paid and was told no upcharge, after using this plan for four years, never experienced an upcharge.

Best to ask first, different dealers different rules.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never had a full synthetic change done by anyone other than me. The difference in the cost of oil is minimal at Walmart. I have a feeling dealers, oil change places and everywhere else treat it as a premium service and charge accordingly.

I change my truck at home and it only takes 15-minutes. It is actually easier than taking it to the dealer except in foul weather. Wait for good weather.

Either way... 5 Quarts of synthetic at Walmart is $17-$25 for your standard fare synthetic. You may want to stick with the Penzoil flavor that is MS-6395 if under warranty. "Standard" discounted motor oil that is still MS-6395 rated is around $12-$18 so about $5 difference per oil change.

I think if you stick with anything that is MS-6395 rated you cannot go wrong. I'd ignore the synthetic vs. dino oil thing. As long as you stick with oil that meets MS-6395 and is of the appropriate viscosity your engine won't know the difference. (flame suit on).

I hope you don't have a hemi....it takes 7 qts....and Ram doesn't recommend synthetic oil....they say you can use it if you follow the specs, but it is not specifically recommended.

Last edited:

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I hope you don't have a hemi....it takes 7 qts....and Ram doesn't recommend synthetic oil....they say you can use it if you follow the specs, but it is not specifically recommended.

No... I have the Pentastar and it has a 6-quart sump. But only about 5.5-5.7 drains.

The manual specifies MS-6395 and the viscosity but says nothing about the base oil composition of the oil used.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

its doubt a synthetic oil with the proper cert will hurt a hemi.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

I agree but you can not ignore the owners' manual, at least during the warranty period. Nobody needs the possible battle of a warranty denial because you didn't use the "right oil". They hold the cards and I've been there and done that. One experience like this will sway one to just step back and let the dealer maintain the vehicle or heavily document products you used to maintain.

RMelton

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Good morning! I can assist you with an oil change contract. Chryslerwarrantydirect.com or you can call me at 888-352-6103 I am also a preferred vendor on this site, you can simply click on my link, to the right of the page. Chrysler Warranty Direct.

Last edited:

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I agree but you can not ignore the owners' manual, at least during the warranty period. Nobody needs the possible battle of a warranty denial because you didn't use the "right oil". They hold the cards and I've been there and done that. One experience like this will sway one to just step back and let the dealer maintain the vehicle or heavily document products you used to maintain.

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing in the owner's manual or FCA documentation saying you should not use synthetic oil.
The benefits of synthetic are numerous, with the only drawback being the price.

Any vehicle I own from new will get nothing but the full synthetic treatment.
I expect a lot out of my vehicle, so I treat it well.
It's worth a whole lot more to me than saving a few bucks on oil changes.

If you're talking about semi-synthetic, then that's a different story.
Huge waste of money for no real benefit.

Last edited:

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Never said it would, I simply pointed out that the manual does not specifically recommend it.

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing in the owner's manual or FCA documentation saying you should not use synthetic oil.
The benefits of synthetic are numerous, with the only drawback being the price.

Any vehicle I own from new will get nothing but the full synthetic treatment.
I expect a lot out of my vehicle, so I treat it well.
It's worth a whole lot more to me than saving a few bucks on oil changes.

If you're talking about semi-synthetic, then that's a different story.
Huge waste of money for no real benefit.

You are correct, nothing says you can't or that you shouldn't.......but if it was desirable, they WOULD say to do it. They don't.

In fact, the way the owners manual is worded, it implies they prefer you don't use it. In other words, since they said you MAY instead of you should or you must, it implies they don't recommend it, but it may be used as long as it meets the spec.

From my owners manual:
Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils if the recommended oil quality requirements are met and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed.

Last edited:

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My dealership did the oil change in my wife's Town & Country for 49.99 (up to 6 qts)
I usually do them at my store (I am a Auto Care Center Manger for Walmart) we currently charge 44.88 for full synthetic and that includes up to 5 quarts and filter.
Hers is usually around 52.00 with the extra quart and my Ram is 58.00ish with the two extra quarts. This is using Pennzoil Platinum.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
From my owners manual:
Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils if the recommended oil quality requirements are met and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed.

I guess we're just interpreting that entry differently.
Nothing about that statement indicates to me that synthetic engine oil isn't recommended for use. It simply says it needs to meet quality requirements.

Since synthetic is generally a higher quality oil to start with, I don't think anyone should have reservations about using it in their Hemi's.

It's a personal preference. Not a warranty concern.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never said it would, I simply pointed out that the manual does not specifically recommend it.

You are correct, nothing says you can't or that you shouldn't.......but if it was desirable, they WOULD say to do it. They don't.

In fact, the way the owners manual is worded, it implies they prefer you don't use it. In other words, since they said you MAY instead of you should or you must, it implies they don't recommend it, but it may be used as long as it meets the spec.

From my owners manual:
Synthetic Engine Oils
I'm
My personal opinion and also as to the way that is worded is some synthetics do not have PI certification, not meaning that they don't meet the specs just that they don't have it. Also the big thing with some synthetics is extended drain intervals, Mobil 1 is now advertising 20000 miles or 1 year. Naturally Ram is not going to indorse that. I have used synthetics in everything I've owned since 2002, cars, trucks,, motorcycles,,lawnmowers,,and never have have the first problem. I change my oil every 6 months or 6000 miles. Synthetics are not the problem, it's what people try to do with them is the problem.

Red-R/T

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer charges $89 for synthetic. Also has a deal where you can buy a plan with three for $150.