Oil/Coolant temps 2015 SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I was on my way to work this am, and noticed my coolant and oil temps running a little higher than I have seen before.

221°F ish for both. I dont recall seeing them that high before. I am getting older, though.....lol

2015 SLT QC 2WD 5.7L 8SPD. Bone stock.

162k miles on the odo.

Coolant is full, reservoir is too.

Was thinking maybe something is starting to give way. T-stat sticking, water pump, clutch fan, ags sticking, just not sure if there's something going on or not.

Thoughts?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Need some context, have the following ever been changed?
Coolant
Thermostat
Water Pump
Belt
Last oil change

You'd hear the clutch fan sticking, hard to ignore.

Were you towing/driving spirited/hot day/whatever?

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Coolant and tstat changed at 107k ish
Belt, too. same time
Water pump original, no leaks seen
Oil changed approx 2k miles ago

Trans temp solid ~ 190° +/-

Not sure what clutch fan sticking sounds like

Last edited:
OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No towing, Spirited driving? Maybe a little :Big Laugh:, but not excessive. Traffic has been an absolute b*tch here in SWFL since Hurricane Ian, though.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Coolant and tstat changed at 107k ish
Belt, too. same time
Water pump original, no leaks seen
Oil changed approx 2k miles ago

Trans temp solid ~ 190° +/-

Not sure what clutch fan sticking sounds like
Usually if the clutch starts going south,it'll either squeak like hell,or you'll notice a constant "roaring" style noise from it Ed,not always,but those are 2 indicators it might be leaving the chat room,lol

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Usually if the clutch starts going south,it'll either squeak like hell,or you'll notice a constant "roaring" style noise from it Ed,not always,but those are 2 indicators it might be leaving the chat room,lol
You know, I have heard a short (1/2 second) squeak/groan at startup for awhile. Not every time but maybe 2/3 - 3/4 of the time. Havent been able to pin it down, and havent seen anything else out of the ordinary either, the truck has been really good (hope I didn't jinx myself....lol)

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You know, I have heard a short (1/2 second) squeak/groan at startup for awhile. Not every time but maybe 2/3 - 3/4 of the time. Havent been able to pin it down, and havent seen anything else out of the ordinary either, the truck has been really good (hope I didn'y jinx myself....lol)
Did you try spraying the belt with WD40 or belt dressing to see if it makes a differance in the noise Ed

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No, and the noise is not really like a squeak, lower pitched than that, more of a groan. I wish I could record it.

I have to drive a bit tonight so I will watch my temps and see what happens.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thoses oil temps I see rather often in fairly warm weather. But usually don't see 220 for coolant unless towing and even then it wouldn't be constant 220F most of the time. Oil temps can easily rise into the 240s or even 250 if towing.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When I ran it after work, it was normal. Or at least, more normal.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No one more in-tune to your truck than you so when you know the temp is off even if a little then yes no doubt could be an issue and better to catch before gets out of hand. Same way for me knew something was up with my truck when the oil pressure was off just 5psi still well within range for cold/operating temps but knowing what the numbers should be I knew something was off. Then 2 days later sure enough the oil pressure sensor completely done for reading only 96psi.

If you are now hearing a noise you did not hear before start with that. Could be the waterpump which could make sense as far as slightly than higher temps. Do you notice any new coolant leaks at all? I would personally start with the easiest and change out that t-stat. Not uncommon for them to go bad and maybe get two as they have been known to be bad brand new. Also could be fan clutch try and wiggle it, should have no back and forth movement at all.

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No one more in-tune to your truck than you so when you know the temp is off even if a little then yes no doubt could be an issue and better to catch before gets out of hand. Same way for me knew something was up with my truck when the oil pressure was off just 5psi still well within range for cold/operating temps but knowing what the numbers should be I knew something was off. Then 2 days later sure enough the oil pressure sensor completely done for reading only 96psi.

If you are now hearing a noise you did not hear before start with that. Could be the waterpump which could make sense as far as slightly than higher temps. Do you notice any new coolant leaks at all? I would personally start with the easiest and change out that t-stat. Not uncommon for them to go bad and maybe get two as they have been known to be bad brand new. Also could be fan clutch try and wiggle it, should have no back and forth movement at all.
Absolutely.

My water pump is original and no leaks i can see anywhere the rad and reservoir were both full.

Tstat would prob be easiest and cheapest at this point, I can reuse the drained coolant also.

It has been really close to 90 here lately as well and traffic stupid heavy all the time anymore, so who knows.

I probably am paranoid to an extent also, I hear something and start thinking too far ahead.

The temps did hold ok tonight, so gonna keep an eye and ear on it for now, hopefully i can check things out a little further.

Any instruction on checking my fan clutch?

TIA

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Absolutely.

My water pump is original and no leaks i can see anywhere the rad and reservoir were both full.

Tstat would prob be easiest and cheapest at this point, I can reuse the drained coolant also.

It has been really close to 90 here lately as well and traffic stupid heavy all the time anymore, so who knows.

I probably am paranoid to an extent also, I hear something and start thinking too far ahead.

The temps did hold ok tonight, so gonna keep an eye and ear on it for now, hopefully i can check things out a little further.

Any instruction on checking my fan clutch?

TIA
Crap quit hogging all the heat,send some north,lol

Attachments

• IMG_2916.JPG
    IMG_2916.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Come on down to SW FL, Rick.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Come on down to SW FL, Rick.
My wife is at that stage of a womens life she hates heat,me i'm at that stage of life i like heat,lol. I'd be there in a heartbeat,if i could,lol. We sleep with the bedroom window wide open even if it's -30 and snow is blowing in,lol
I went out and bought us a heated mattress pad and heated blanket,just so i could stay warm at night,lol

OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My wife is at that stage of a womens life she hates heat,me i'm at that stage of life i like heat,lol. I'd be there in a heartbeat,if i could,lol. We sleep with the bedroom window wide open even if it's -30 and snow is blowing in,lol
I went out and bought us a heated mattress pad and heated blanket,just so i could stay warm at night,lol
Here in Florida we almost never run the heat at our house. I probably should just to burn off the dust, but I have not done it for many years. When it gets cool or cold we just open up the windows and leave them open for most of the night and bundle up in the morning and it's awesome. The coldest it usually gets here is low 30's, sometimes 20's, usually warms up to 70 ish, and it's only colder for a couple days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EdGs

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My Wife is Florida born and raised, so she'd never seen snow until I took her to MI a few years ago.

We got to the hotel in Port Huron and the lady at the desk asked where we were from. We said "Florida". She said, "What are you doing here?" My wife said, "We're here to see the snow." The lady said, "Are you nuts?"

My wife is outside the hotel, ten o'clock at night out in the falling snow, she really fell in love with it. So much so, that my sister-in-law said that it was fun seeing my wife enjoying it so much, especially when they loathe it for having to deal with it in the winter.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My Wife is Florida born and raised, so she'd never seen snow until I took her to MI a few years ago.

We got to the hotel in Port Huron and the lady at the desk asked where we were from. We said "Florida". She said, "What are you doing here?" My wife said, "We're here to see the snow." The lady said, "Are you nuts?"

My wife is outside the hotel, ten o'clock at night out in the falling snow, she really fell in love with it. So much so, that my sister-in-law said that it was fun seeing my wife enjoying it so much, especially when they loathe it for having to deal with it in the winter.
Have you had your wife tested,as i think she's crazy,lol