2011 6.7 Low oil pressure, low coolant, and over full on dipstick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBlue67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hello all, my 2011 Ram 3500 recently dropped oil pressure. Not completely, but from its usual 40-45 psi to 26 psi. Thinking it's low on oil, from a leak, I checked it and t my surprise it's more full. The consistency and color were different than usual too. It wasn't oily like oil, and wasn't black, rather almost clear. I do my own services and work as I am a semi diesel mechanic (big trucks). I also noticed the coolant was way lower in the reservoir than normal. Could this be a oil cooler issue, head gasket, or something to do with the turbo? Engine wise is stock, and 212k miles

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like coolant made it into the oil, the most likely culprit is a blown headgasket...or a cracked block

Does it smoke more then usual ?

OP
OP
B

BigBlue67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's what I'm thinking too, hopefully it'd just be a head gasket. Doesn't smoke at all, either

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It does sound like a head gasket. Is the truck tuned? It isn't that common to hear of a 6.7 popping a head gasket unless the boost has been turned way up but I suppose it's possible. When my 6.4 Powerstroke popped the gaskets it didn't smoke either, but there was as slight hint of condensation coming from the exhaust if you watched it really closely.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
my 2011 Ram 3500 recently dropped oil pressure. Not completely, but from its usual 40-45 psi to 26 psi.
Unless you've added an aftermarket oil pressure sensor, you won't find an actual oil pressure transducer (just a low pressure switch). The oil pressure and temperature are calculated by the ECM.

If it's not deleted, the EGR cooler could be the culprit for low coolant. Might want to have the oil tested for fuel and/or coolant contamination.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Coolant/water in oil will give a milky appearance. Pre-DEF 6.7s were heavy EGR and were known for oil dilution AKA "making oil".

Agree on oil analysis recommendation.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Coolant/water in oil will give a milky appearance. Pre-DEF 6.7s were heavy EGR and were known for oil dilution AKA "making oil".

Agree on oil analysis recommendation.
I forgot about this but it's a true statement.

Does the oil smell like fuel? Sounds like it's diluted down. How often are you changing the oil?

OP
OP
B

BigBlue67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It does have have an EGR "delete" and I change oil every 5-6k miles. It is not tuned and the oil doesn't smell like fuel either. I checked it again yesterday and oil looked fine. Even drained some oil out into a jug and there wasn't any water in the bottom of the pan, jt didnt look milky at all either. It is not tuned so boost pressure is stock.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Do you mean it has a stock HP tune? It has to be tuned, otherwise the EGR delete wouldn't work. The PCM would throw a fault.

Odd if it doesn't smell like fuel and doesn't look like coolant. Do you have any pics of the oil? What are you using?

OP
OP
B

BigBlue67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That's what I meant to say, stock tune for egr delete. I don't have any pictures of the oil, and I run Royal Purple 15w40.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Only thing I can think of sans what we've already said is to change it, monitor the levels/condition, and see if it happens again. I would heavily suggest sending for an oil analysis as well. I don't have any experience with RP. I've always ran Rotella T4.

OP
OP
B

BigBlue67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sounds good, I'll get a sample sent out and keep everyone updated. Thanks for the advice and information!

OP
OP
B

BigBlue67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Nothing ever came out of it. Every time I have checked the oil since it has been on the money and looking normal. Not sure what to make of it, if I'm being honest.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Did you ever send the oil out for an analysis to be safe? Glad to hear it isn't doing it again but it's odd that it happened in the first place. I'd want to know what it was.

OP
OP
B

BigBlue67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I did not end up sending it off. I was planning to but got busy with work and completely forgot about it.