Oil cooler hose disconnects

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kilo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
what up fellas, just had an unusual occurrence and I was wondering if anyone else has had it happen. Or if there’s something that possibly caused the issue and needs to addressed before moving forward. Anyway

I had just made a short trip to the store and when I got back home I noticed a strange smell. I started looking around and quickly discovered a pool of transmission fluid flowing down my driveway. Upon further inspection I found one of the hoses going to the trans cooler had come apart at the (quick connect?). The metal fittings that are crimped to the rubber hose and look like the fuel line connection into the rails.

It had somehow disconnected from itself and drained my ATF. I was about to to a fluid change anyway cause the tranny seemed to be getting sluggish. The trans is one of my least familiar systems on this vehicle. I just wanted to make sure this wasn’t an obvious indication of a separate issue i should be checking for. I was able to re connect the hoses easily and it seems to be good. I haven’t pressure tested It or anything. Before I refill the ATF does anyone have any information about this issue. I appreciate any thoughts on the matter

Thanks

OP
OP
Kilo

Kilo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sorry, I got a 2012 ram 1500 big horn
About 90,000 miles
Never touched the trans.

OP
OP
Kilo

Kilo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yea I thought so too. I’ve been noticing some hesitation in my shifts, especially at lower speeds. I’m wondering if the two issues are related or purely coincidental. I figured if it’s happened before someone on this site could fill me in as to what they discovered. But I’ve never seen one just come apart on its own. I was thinking maybe a blockage somewhere causes the system to pressure up? But I don’t know a whole lot about the 65rfe or whatever trans I’m running. So much technology goes into vehicles nowadays it makes them near impossible to diagnose/repair.

40 years ago cars came with instructions on how to adjust and service your engine. Now they have to remind people not to drink the coolant.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have you driven it off-road lately,if so maybe you hit something that loosened it ?

OP
OP
Kilo

Kilo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
No, it’s been all highway miles for the past 20,000 or so. I’m just gonna re fill it and keep a close watch. I haven’t done much research as far as changing the oil goes, but I did check the dipstick and it’s not showing any atf at all. So I’m guessing most of the old stuff is drained out. I’m debating on whether to try and find the same oil or something compatible and just refill it. Or should I drop the pan, change the gasket and thoroughly clean the old stuff out. The oil that spilled didn’t loom or smell terrible. But every time I’ve tried saving a little time or money on this truck it’s come back and cost me in the long run.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since you already not at fault drained out some fluid, if you have the knowledge and capability, why not drop the pan and do a service. 95K a nice amount of miles. But your ride and yer wallet OP, do what works for you.