Oil Leak 2021 Rebel 35,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Retiring Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Had the same or similar issue on my’19 Laramie 5.7l. Always did my own oil changes using Pennzoil full synthetic and Fram Ultra Guard filters. After 60k miles it developed a small oil leak that was dripping off the steering rack. Knowing it’s electric power steering it had me stumped. Took it to the dealership. $140 later they said it was left over oil from the last time I changed oil. Knowing that wasn’t the case I changed the filter again with another Fram Ultra Guard. Still had the leak. Went to Autozone and compared Fram filter to a STP filter. The STP filter gasket was about twice as wide and thicker than the Fram. Bought and installed it…no leak. Bought a Wix filter on Amazon and it has a gasket similar to the STP so it is going on with the next oil change. Don’t know why after 4 years the Fram filters started to leak unless they changed their design or manufacturer but I’m not going back.

Retiring Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Correction. Went out today and found it is the Fram Extra Guard not Ultra Guard that I use. While out I measured the gaskets between the Fram Extra Guard and Wix XP. The Fram measures 4mm wide and 1.4mm thick measuring to the metal rim of the filter. The Wix measures 4.5mm wide and 1.8mm thick. Not going to Autozone to measure the STP filter gasket but it, like the Wix, was visibly wider and thicker.

Attachments

• Filters.JPG
    Filters.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 5

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Correction. Went out today and found it is the Fram Extra Guard not Ultra Guard that I use. While out I measured the gaskets between the Fram Extra Guard and Wix XP. The Fram measures 4mm wide and 1.4mm thick measuring to the metal rim of the filter. The Wix measures 4.5mm wide and 1.8mm thick. Not going to Autozone to measure the STP filter gasket but it, like the Wix, was visibly wider and thicker.
Picture of the gaskets would work better.Flip the filters over so we can see them

Rebel4Mo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just bought a 2019 Rebel with the 5.7.
Changed the oil and filter for the first time.
As soon as I lossend the oil filter oil was dripping all of the front axle accuator and down into the skid plate.
There were signs of oil from previous oil changes.
Without removing the skid plate I dont see how all the excess oil can be cleaned up.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The device the filter screws into is not a heater for cold weather, it just gets the oil warmed up to normal temp faster.
Actually my oil was hotter with the heat exchanger above the filter. I removed the heat exchanger on my truck. Oil temp is actually lower now. It does take slightly longer to warm up but not much longer.

I used the nipple from a 2017 6.4 on my truck. It’s the same nipple as the 5.7 uses in earlier years. Or you could order the nipple for the earlier 5.7.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just bought a 2019 Rebel with the 5.7.
Changed the oil and filter for the first time.
As soon as I lossend the oil filter oil was dripping all of the front axle accuator and down into the skid plate.
There were signs of oil from previous oil changes.
Without removing the skid plate I dont see how all the excess oil can be cleaned up.
Open the hood at your local coin-op carwash,and hose the engine and skidplate down. Washing it at the carwash isn't a hell'va lot differant then driving it in a heavy rain storm

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So far myself and two others I know that are using the Fram XG10575 have not experienced this problem.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 94519 miles.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i did not realize you could do that. if it is a heater with me living in GA i find no need for it. I would like the idea of a bigger filter or at least more room to change what it there. The setup is the worst i have ever seen for replacing the filter. I finally used a gallon ziplock this last time and that catches most of the filter oil but not all and it gets on everything.
Agreed on quality and crappy location. I think we all agree on the latter. For the former, just tired of everything being over priced and paper thin aluminum / plastic.

Once the leak is fixed look at a pacbrake oil filter relocation kit. Lots of other options including threads here doing it complete from scratch which is awesome, but the pacbrake kit bolts on and has good quality. Oil changes are now as easy as they should be and you can use a bigger filter that’s not always out of stock.

Good luck!

Retiring Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
So far myself and two others I know that are using the Fram XG10575 have not experienced this problem.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 94519 miles.
I have almost the exact same truck except mine is Patriot Blue, 3.92 rear gear and 20" factory wheels. The Fram book and website call for Fram Extra Guard PH10060 which I have always used before or the Ultra Synthetic XG10060. I searched for your Fram XG10575 and what it fits, and nowhere does it list any Ram. Plugged it into Amazon and it came back as not fitting a 2019 Ram 5.7l. What made you chose the XG10575 filter?

John Schmidt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi w/FLOWMASTER 50 SERIES DELTA FLOW
I have almost the exact same truck except mine is Patriot Blue, 3.92 rear gear and 20" factory wheels. The Fram book and website call for Fram Extra Guard PH10060 which I have always used before or the Ultra Synthetic XG10060. I searched for your Fram XG10575 and what it fits, and nowhere does it list any Ram. Plugged it into Amazon and it came back as not fitting a 2019 Ram 5.7l. What made you chose the XG10575 filter?
There are at least 3 Fram filters that fit the 5.7L hemi ... the 10060, the 10575, and the XG2. Only the 10060 is recommended by Fram for the 5.7, but folks who simply want a bit larger filter w/theoretically more filtering material, go for one of the other two. I myself have been using the XG2 for a couple of years - since the vehicle was new. A little more wiggling to get it into position, but I prefer it over the very small 10060.
Thanks.
John