Oil Leak 2021 Rebel 35,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
2021 Rebel., I have an oil leak in the area of oil filter. It is not my filter or left over from oil change. I do my own because yes the dealer techs are sloppy and do not clean the mess. Also i cant get them to do synthetic oil so i said the heck with dealers and do my own. 2021 Rebel 35,000 miles and wet around filter area. I clean it and dry it but it comes back in a few miles. Cant really tell where it comes from. I have tightened the oil pressure sending unit which was not tight at all but really dont see it coming from there. I have spent a good bit of time under the truck with it running and roasting me in this GA summer heat but cannot tell exactly where the leak is. I really hate dealers and how long they take and the crap they always try to give you. With only 35,000 miles i should not have a leak. I am posting to ask if anyone else has had this issue and what you found?

OP
OP
J

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Could be as simple as the seal on your oil filter. Double gasket on filter is another possibility.
i replaced the oil filter just in case. it is not double gasket and is not leaking from the filter. I stated this in my post but thank you

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thank you very much. i bet that is it since it is wet looking up in that area as well. let me ask this, how do you tighten the body against the gasket?
My truck doesn't have the heater/cooler,so i'm not sure,but if i was to guess it's probably an internal hex/allen key type nipple.Chrysler likes to use 14mm allen keys/wrenches ,might see if a 14mm allen wrench will fit inside the nipple

OP
OP
J

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
My truck doesn't have the heater/cooler,so i'm not sure,but if i was to guess it's probably an internal hex/allen key type nipple.Chrysler likes to use 14mm allen keys/wrenches ,might see if a 14mm allen wrench will fit inside the nipple
are you meaning the internal nipple the filter threads onto? and thank you very much for you help.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
are you meaning the internal nipple the filter threads onto? and thank you very much for you help.
Yup,the inside of the filter nipple should be hexagon shaped,that should take a big allen key to tighten.At least that's my guess,pull the filter,and see what the inside of the nipple looks like. If the seal is buggered,i don't know if it's a seperate servicable part,or if you have to buy the oil heater assembly for $145 to get it. Seal is #3 in the pic,the assembly with seal is #2 in the pic.I'm not sure if i'm a fan of using coolant to heat the oil,if it was my truck and it was the seal leaking,i'd seriously consider deleting the heater assembly,they didn't start using it till 2017,the earlier 5.7's never used coolant to heat the oil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Yup,the inside of the filter nipple should be hexagon shaped,that should take a big allen key to tighten.At least that's my guess,pull the filter,and see what the inside of the nipple looks like. If the seal is buggered,i don't know if it's a seperate servicable part,or if you have to buy the oil heater assembly for $145 to get it. Seal is #3 in the pic,the assembly with seal is #2 in the pic
Thank you. Yes i looked at the breakdown. If i cant tighten it and stop the leak it will go the dealer as bad as i hate that idea. But truck is under warranty. to be honest i wish i had my 20156 tundra back. I wanted a new truck and the ram was the nicest looking i could find and has all the creature comforts. But i find the quality to be ****.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you do decide to delete the oil heater assembly,you'll probably want to swap to the earlier thermostat housing,as it won't have the extra nipple to send coolant down to the heater. You'll probably also be able to fit a bigger filter onto the engine with it out of the way.

OP
OP
J

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If you do decide to delete the oil heater assembly,you'll probably want to swap to the earlier thermostat housing,as it won't have the extra nipple to send coolant down to the heater. You'll probably also be able to fit a bigger filter onto the engine with it out of the way.
i did not realize you could do that. if it is a heater with me living in GA i find no need for it. I would like the idea of a bigger filter or at least more room to change what it there. The setup is the worst i have ever seen for replacing the filter. I finally used a gallon ziplock this last time and that catches most of the filter oil but not all and it gets on everything.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
i did not realize you could do that. if it is a heater with me living in GA i find no need for it. I would like the idea of a bigger filter or at least more room to change what it there. The setup is the worst i have ever seen for replacing the filter. I finally used a gallon ziplock this last time and that catches most of the filter oil but not all and it gets on everything.
If you're still under warrenty,i'd leave it,and let the dealer fix it.FCA/Stellentis will use any excuse they can,to deny warrenty,and even though the earlier trucks never used the heater,i wouldn't put it past them denying warrenty if you deleted it. But living in GA you probably don't really need coolant heating the oil,lol

OP
OP
J

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If you're still under warrenty,i'd leave it,and let the dealer fix it.FCA/Stellentis will use any excuse they can,to deny warrenty,and even though the earlier trucks never used the heater,i wouldn't put it past them denying warrenty if you deleted it. But living in GA you probably don't really need coolant heating the oil,lol
Well i hear ya. And yes i know they do this. They tried to deny a warranty on my sons jeep with 1200 miles on it when exhaust studs broke off of head.
I have been doing my own oil changes. Use K&N filters. Use Penzoil platinum oil as manual. I installed a Motofuel quick drain valve for the oil due to how it goes everywhere when you pull the drain bolt. I am concerned they will use this to try and deny so i will pull the filter and check it. Hopefully find something lose. I do know the sending unit was lose but after tightening that it still leaks so i bet you are correct on the heater gasket.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Well i hear ya. And yes i know they do this. They tried to deny a warranty on my sons jeep with 1200 miles on it when exhaust studs broke off of head.
I have been doing my own oil changes. Use K&N filters. Use Penzoil platinum oil as manual. I installed a Motofuel quick drain valve for the oil due to how it goes everywhere when you pull the drain bolt. I am concerned they will use this to try and deny so i will pull the filter and check it. Hopefully find something lose. I do know the sending unit was lose but after tightening that it still leaks so i bet you are correct on the heater gasket.
You might even want to swap your K&N filter for a Mopar filter,the less they have to use against you,the better off you are.Go down to the 4th Gen section,and check out a few of the filter threads,as i don't think your K&N filter has all that great a rep,but i might be mistaken

OP
OP
J

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
You might even want to swap your K&N filter for a Mopar filter,the less they have to use against you,the better off you are.Go down to the 4th Gen section,and check out a few of the filter threads,as i don't think your K&N filter has all that great a rep,but i might be mistaken
The filteration is 99.5% at a very low micron rate. I use the High Performace type. But if it goes to the dealer i will most likely pull it and put a mopar on.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This is a good filter thread,but i don't know if i'd read it all,but it's probably worth reading through the last 1/2 dozen pages though.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The filteration is 99.5% at a very low micron rate. I use the High Performace type. But if it goes to the dealer i will most likely pull it and put a mopar on.
To save a pile of reading,you could ask the guys on the filter thread what they think of your choice of filter.

OP
OP
J

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
To save a pile of reading,you could ask the guys on the filter thread what they think of your choice of filter.
i will. I had a Fram Ultra Guard which is third on their list of likes but i like the hex nut on the end of k&n filters. And i run K&N on my harley and have for the last 92,000 miles. Some people try and say they don not filter well but i know for a fact that is not correct

Big3MG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The device the filter screws into is not a heater for cold weather, it just gets the oil warmed up to normal temp faster.