Oil Pressure gauge problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schkoda411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum.
I just bought an 04 !500 SLT 4.7 single cab with 120,000 on it. Every couple starts the oil pressure gage doesn't seem to want to work and the CHECK GAUGE but it runs fine. Also i just purchased it so what else should I look out for and i wanted to do and transmission flush along with every other fluid. Also is there any grease joints that i should be hitting?

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a problem like that on my Jeep (many parts are the same). I would start by replacing the oil pressure sensor. I got one from autozone and everything went back to normal. If your oil pressure IS that low, your engine would be fried, pretty quickly.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My '02 isn't a gauge, it is an idiot indicator. The sensor is either on or off, when it is on the gauge goes to half way, when it is off it flatlines and throws the check gauge error. Scared the crap out of me, I thought I had lost the oil pump.

I figured this out by putting a real gauge on it. Seems the trigger is about 8 or 9 PSI.

So your gauge might not be a gauge. Can one of you gurus confirm this please?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
I've read that if the oil pressure is anywhere between 10-90 psi the gauge will sit in the middle. I guess its common on the 4.7 for the oil pressure light to come on when sitting at a stop light etc and the pressure drops below 9-10 psi. A good rule of thumb is that you should have 10 psi of oil pressure for every 1000 rpm.

I would pull a spark plug to see if they need to be replaced.:welcome: