Ok everyone this has probably been asked before but I need some help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sal269

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So what has everyone done to improve your gas mileage on their Ram's. I have a 2017 1500 Laramie and the mileage sucks, I'm not heavy on the pedal but still only getting about 15 miles per gallon. Don't have thousands to spend but want/need to get better mileage. Thanks in advance..

OP
OP
S

Sal269

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So what has everyone done to improve your gas mileage on their Ram's. I have a 2017 1500 Laramie and the mileage sucks, I'm not heavy on the pedal but still only getting about 15 miles per gallon. Don't have thousands to spend but want/need to get better mileage. Thanks in advance..

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Cold air intake helped with some and Air up ur tires Alittle more.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Driving habits has the biggest effect on mpg. Drive like a granny and it will improve. Extended idling in the winter time will also kill your mileage real fast. There’s nothing you can really change as far as mods that’s going to increase your mileage by any noticeable amount.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I drive downhill both ways to and from work and push my truck. Lol. Unfortunately there’s really no good way to improve it other than a tune up, replace the air filter, use the highest octane gas (winter gas mixes are the worst for gas mileage no matter what you drive), keep your tires inflated correctly, and keep your foot off of the gas pedal.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't like taking a defeatist position, even on a truck that inherently gets poor mileage it is always worth trying to optimize it.

Simple things you can do:

Use cruise control as often as possible and learn to just chill at the speed limit.

Be realistic about the tire and lift choices you make. 35" mud tires are an expensive choice to make. Stock sized michelin defenders are way, way better off road than they look.

Get a tonneau cover. That is part of the HFE package from Ram, it won't help your city mpg at all but the fact it was included in Rams own fuel efficiency trim tells us it works. Probably only good for a half mpg at freeway speeds.

Combine trips and don't drive as much. Nobody wants that advice but you save 100% of every mile per gallon if you don't do the miles in the first place.

Not much else is going to have a payout. In the end we have to acknowledge that manufacturers really are trying to squeeze as many mpg as possible from these vehicles and the engineers working on that puzzle are among the best in the world - a 50 dollar bolt on accessory just isn't going to give you prius mpg from a v8 truck if they could accomplish that it would already be done at the factory

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I did see where the pedal commander and some of the tuners do provide a “canned tune” for better gas mileage. Sorry. Just thought of that.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For me a free flowing air filter cost mpg, I haven't seen anything other than aero mods that will help mpg - at least highway mpg with 3.92 gears.
Tail wind and hot summer air might get my Outdoorsman into the high teens/low 20's (seldom) but add a headwind coming from a 45 degree angle vs. headwind and my mpg will drop to as low as 12 mpg @74 mph.
Cold dense winter air will drop me into the 16-18 mpg range @ 74 mph even with no wind.

Nova John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 regular cab 2 wheel drive truck with 392 gear. I average 18 combined driving and 21.5 on the highway at 65-68 mpg. I have a K&N drop in, flowmaster hd50 with single exhaust and a Flash pak tuner set at 87 tune. Truck runs [email protected] in quarter and get good mileage. Got 24.5 a few years ago when traveling the mid west on 92 non ethanol gas which you can't find here in NJ. Get it when I go to Lake George in NY. Truck gets better mileage and runs and idles better. Start getting into throttle and gas mileage drops.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
have just had my truck 2 weeks, get around 20mpg combined. terrain and conditions can vary mileage but the weight of the right foot has a lot to do with it. figure for a 5k lb + vehicle, not going to get much better

Last edited:

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Swap in 3.21 gears, adds horsepower too!

J/K but seriously check out ebay they have a chip for like an additional 100 hp and 50 mpg.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Swap in 3.21 gears, adds horsepower too!

J/K but seriously check out ebay they have a chip for like an additional 100 hp and 50 mpg.
[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787] You bean the blue obd one? It works great ish. Lol

ajs3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Trade it in for a four cylinder Tacoma.... problem solved....[emoji16]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did see where the pedal commander and some of the tuners do provide a “canned tune” for better gas mileage. Sorry. Just thought of that.

I took my PC off to go to the dealer and decided to leave it off for a bit to see if it was causing what I think it valve float. But I jumped like 1.5 mpg without it. I guess I didn't realize in sport+3 I'm pretty much flooring it everytime I take off haha. Since I got used to it

Sheapdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't due much city driving, mostly country road driving. I've found that getting up to speed faster, so you are at optimal MPG rating for a longer period of time, gets me better mileage. I'm not talking flooring it, but getting it up to about 3,000 RPM's on acceleration works for me.

When I nurse it takes me most of the road to get up to speed, then I have to slow down for a stop sign. When I accelerate fast I get up to 55 to 60 MPH and spend more time in that range, better MPG.

Also, coasting to stop signs helps. Knowing the roads I am driving and anticipating a stop coming up I can coast and not use more fuel. May take a few extra seconds but I'm not hitting the brake as much.

As others have said higher Octane, I use 89. And winter gas kills my MPG as well. Drops it almost 4 MPG from the summer months.

Just what I've found works for me.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered and use a Pedal Commander. I keep it in ECO mode most of the time, unless I'm doing a lot of driving around town. I go easy on the gas unless I have to pass some granny doing 35 in a 55 - and then I put PC into Sport +2. Keeping it in ECO and going easy has given my about +.4 to +.6 MPG so far - giving me about 17.8 MPG (I'm a pretty heavy footed driver, so trust me, that's pretty good for me!). I also stay off the gas completely if I'm on a good hill and just let the truck coast.

CPTII

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You know, cruise control is a great recommendation. I started to use it on the highway (but it also increased my disdain for other drivers that pull out in front of you going slower or those that refuse to move over) doing no more than 5mph over the posted limit and my mileage increased into the 20’s. Granted, if you go over 75mph you will stay in the mid teens. Also, using the mid grade fuel versus the cheaper stuff has helped as well as proper tire inflation