One more year for the "Classic"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
yup....Im glad...

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice!! I hate how cheap and ugly the 5th gens are.

Jessica Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Works for me! Who would have guessed that 12 years after my Dodge Ram rolled off the assembly line, when people were throwing 20 bitcoins away on a pizza, and many were watching their first polarized 3D movie ala James Camerson's Dances with Smurfs, that my body style would be passable for one rolling fresh off an assembly line! Usually anything good lasting that much longer than expected comes with a warning to seek immediate medical attention.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nice!! I hate how cheap and ugly the 5th gens are.

It will grow on you if you give it a chance and stop thinking how ugly it is.

Couple years ago I bought a jeep, because there was not a single truck out there that appealed to me. Then 2019 showed up and I had my choice of new Ram, new Chevy, or new GMC, and I love all 3.

Now that I have the 2019 Ram, funny enough the "classic" model is becoming more attractive, and if I had to replace my truck (accident or whatever) I would consider the 2018- models too (even though the interior is definitely a step down compared to the 2019+).

If you stop convincing yourself that something is ugly, it might surprise you.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It will grow on you if you give it a chance and stop thinking how ugly it is.

Couple years ago I bought a jeep, because there was not a single truck out there that appealed to me. Then 2019 showed up and I had my choice of new Ram, new Chevy, or new GMC, and I love all 3.

Now that I have the 2019 Ram, funny enough the "classic" model is becoming more attractive, and if I had to replace my truck (accident or whatever) I would consider the 2018- models too (even though the interior is definitely a step down compared to the 2019+).

If you stop convincing yourself that something is ugly, it might surprise you.

I get that i didnt like the 4th gens at first but i can 100% say il never own a 5th gen they look like crap and look cheaply made doesn't look like a ram.:D
Glad they are making the classic another year.

Sgambots91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My cousins 5th gen 2500 Cummins does not look cheap and is one hell of a truck. Got me thinking I want one next. But I don’t have a need for a CTD so would be a waste

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My cousins 5th gen 2500 Cummins does not look cheap and is one hell of a truck. Got me thinking I want one next. But I don’t have a need for a CTD so would be a waste
I like the 5th gen 2500 also and am planning on buying one. They used a lot of the styling cues from the 4th gen 2500 on the 5th gen and they even have the same cab. The 5th gen 1500 on the other hand is completely different and I am not a fan. I think it's apparent that the 4th gen 1500 still holds it's own and that's why they are still making them. If there wasn't a demand for them they would stop production. In my opinion the styling of the 4th gen trucks was a home run, especially the 13 and up trucks with the different grill and updated interior. I love my 14 and don't feel that wow I would love to have a new one whenever I see a 5th gen 1500 next to me. I actuality think my truck looks better and I'm proud to drive it. Obviously the interior on the 5th gen 1500 is updated from the newer 4th gen trucks but the 4th gen interior is still nice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think a big part of this is the covid shutdown. They probably had to cut production way back, have "left over" parts if you will. Probably have not been able to convert that factory over to the 5th gen production yet etc. Basically 2020 didn't exist for a lot of things so they have another year to catch up. Beyond that I'm betting you won't see it any more. Doesn't make financial sense to keep 2 gens of trucks in production. While many don't like the 5th gen, many didn't like the 4th gen either but over time they get over it and it becomes the new norm. Same with happen when a 6th gen comes out.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
The main reason the classic exists...the value and regular cab and 8 foot bed.

The 5th Gen roll out was completely aimed at the Laramie and Limited buyer and the person who has to have the latest and greatest.

The classic was around for the value shopper and the tradesman.

The goal...take over 2nd place.

For awhile they even had 1st in the battlefield.

When you get a chance to follow a 4th gen and a 5th Gen down the road. Do it. The 5th Gen is an awesome blend of every generation of RAM trucks.

After this experiment...i can nit get icer the beak nose look of the 4th Gen.

I really like the roll from the door to the fender bulge on the 5th Gen.

The line For The 5th Gen is created more with the hood than the fender. Why if viewed a certain way it seems to lose the big rig look of the 2nd 3rd and 4th Gen. But viewed from here...it is there and very noticable.

And the 4.5 Gen HeavyDuty. Well...it makes my 4th Gen look so so dated.20200726_182642_HDR.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Maybe big tires, a lift kit and flares on your old one would make it a better comparison. The small door ding in the front bumper doesn't help either.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Maybe big tires, a lift kit and flares on your old one would make it a better comparison. The small door ding in the front bumper doesn't help either.
I actually have a picture beside this truck before it got the upgrade. But my SD card isnt working.

The 4.5 Gen severely dates it.

But I love my truck...it will be getting some upgrades soon. I can do alot with $73000

Probably wont even apend $7300

And that was from a stump offroading and being to intent on seeing a bear.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The feature that I dislike the most on the 4th gen is the Jay Leno chin/bumper. Very happy to see they removed that this time around.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The first time I saw a 4th gen I fell in love with it. I had a 2nd gen at the time (2001) and the 3rd gens just didn't do it for me.

The first time I saw a 5th gen I thought it was nice but like the 3rd gen it just didn't do it for me. They have grown on me but it has to be the right color and trim. The less chrome the better. I've always liked the color matched bumpers. When I bought my current truck it was either going to be a sport or an express.

I still love the way the 4th gens look.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500