One more year for the "Classic"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do see one down side. It does work to lower our resale value a bit. Elk Grove Ram in CA is selling new Classic Crew Cab 1500 Laramie Eco Diesels 4X4s for $37k. 2x4 Laramie Eco's for $34k. Tradesman Eco Diesels 4X4s for $33k. At least 45 of each model to choose from.

I bought my '17 Laramie from them the same way. I figured at the time buying a new Laramie at $23k off of MSRP would be great since I'd avoid a massive amount depreciation. But the bottom has fallen out of our used market in Nor Cal as long as these Classics keep hitting the market.
My buddies and I have bought several trucks from Elk Grove Dodge. We got 16.5k off of a loaded 17 Laramie 4x4 and 17.5k off of a 2019 Bighorn Classic 4x4. A lot of people on the forum seem like they don't believe me when I mention the discounts you can get there when they have their big sales. Like you said all the trucks on special are equipped exactly the same except for the colors.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Tom McClellan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just came from my dealer. He said I will have to wait at least a month before I can order my new Warlock. DAMN!!

MattCham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Good stuff. The newer models aren't that great looking. Front end isn't appealing

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll just keep my as new 2011 Big Horn 4x4 with 15K. Has a much better Hemi vs my 14 (little if any start up tapping even after couple weeks) and the 5 spd altho ancient is a proven transmission. I tried to trade on both a 2019 2wd Classic Big Horn and a 2019 "new" 2wd Laramie. I'm not seeing thise kind of discounts. The classic is 33-35000 minimum and the new 19 Laramie cannot be had for less than 45-46K in 2wd. The cork saulking dealers are leanin on mine being an 11 and even with only 15K are only offering 14-16K on a trade in. Fork them idiots. I'll drive and enjoy my 11.

bighorn11m.JPG

eddie046

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad to see the Gen 4 trucks continuing to be built. I still love my 2017 and they are going to end up being in production the longest since the old Gen 1 trucks from 72 to 93, not sure anything will break that record!

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Im thinking that in future years, the 4th gen will be considered the 'best looking' kind of like the 69 charger or the 71 cuda. Or maybe like the 55-57 chevys.

But only the SCSB versions

johnts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After over 2 years of looking at the new Rams, I still have not warmed to the style of the front end of the truck forward of the windshield. It needs to be redone asap to a more aggressive look. Right now it is just a very bland design except for the Rebel.
When I had my '95 Ram and the new style came out in '02, I liked it and knew I would eventually get one. I had a '05 RC. When the next gen came out in '09 model year, I really liked that and eventually bought a '14. Now I have a '16 Ram. When I 1st laid eyes on the 5th gen Ram in Jan '18 I did not feel that got to have it need, and I still don't. Fix the front of the DS, more fender drop, no hood badges, get rid of the brow, and bring back the crosshair for some models.
When the new style came out, Ram threw out 24 years of strong brand identity for a GMC , Tundra look. Companies try for years to build brand identity and Ram threw it away. With the crosshair and dropped fenders, no badges or nameplate were needed to identify a Ram coming at you from a distance.
If I needed to replace my '16, I am fairly certain I would get a new Classic and not the 5th gen.
One poster mentioned the Classic will go down as one of the best looking trucks ever. That is so true, and sadly not true for the gen 5 Rams.

Seth Richards

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 l Hemi
My buddies and I have bought several trucks from Elk Grove Dodge. We got 16.5k off of a loaded 17 Laramie 4x4 and 17.5k off of a 2019 Bighorn Classic 4x4. A lot of people on the forum seem like they don't believe me when I mention the discounts you can get there when they have their big sales. Like you said all the trucks on special are equipped exactly the same except for the colors.

I live very close to EG auto mall and went to the dodge dealership last year when I was looking to buy a truck. Test drove a couple of different models there but ultimately they lost my business when the salesman I was working with got upset because I didn’t want to pull the trigger after they low balled me by 6 or 7 k on my trade in and weren’t willing to go up on it. Then in a text he blamed me and my wife for not being able to make a deal because I went with out my wife the last time when we talked about the trade in. I ended up going to Woodland where they not only gave me what I wanted for my trade in but they gave me a better deal on a truck.

Oh and my wife didn’t have to be there lol.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live very close to EG auto mall and went to the dodge dealership last year when I was looking to buy a truck. Test drove a couple of different models there but ultimately they lost my business when the salesman I was working with got upset because I didn’t want to pull the trigger after they low balled me by 6 or 7 k on my trade in and weren’t willing to go up on it. Then in a text he blamed me and my wife for not being able to make a deal because I went with out my wife the last time when we talked about the trade in. I ended up going to Woodland where they not only gave me what I wanted for my trade in but they gave me a better deal on a truck.

Oh and my wife didn’t have to be there lol.
I know sometimes dealers will really try to rake you over on a trade in. I had Hoblit dodge offer me a ridiculous amount to trade my tuck in. It was so low I just got up and walked out. There wasn't even any point discussing it. I haven't ever tried to trade anything in at E.G dodge so can't comment on them. All the trucks my friends and I bought from them were without a trade in.

6speedcummins

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
20200302_193451.jpg 20200307_174116.jpg I think it's a smart move selling two different models at the same time. Think about it, GM has been doing almost the same thing for years, selling the Silverado and Sierra. Besides a few options THEY'RE THE SAME DAMN TRUCK! Ram is offering two completely different models that have a lot more differences. Plus they're catering to a more people, the ones who love the Gen 4 like me and those who love the newest thing on the dealer's lot (Gen 5). Plus you can't deny the high sales numbers of the Gen 4 over the years so why completely kill off a winner if it's still selling? Besides that "Classic" badge looks nice, I should put some on my 2015 lol.