Opinions on Cummins Engine Break-in

Discussion in 'Engine and Performance' started by tadalex, Aug 30, 2011.

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. tadalex

tadalex Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Cummins 6.7L
    I'm new to this forum, but have owned Dodge RAM trucks since 1996. While I've searched forums with keywords on break-in and such, I haven't found anything. My apologies in advance if this is an old topic that I've missed.

I'm picking up my new 2011 RAM 3500 tomorrow about 500 miles away. As this is a brand spankin' new (8 miles on the odom), I'm concerned about driving it at constant highway speeds for 6 - 7 hours.

Over the years, I've heard various opinions about what to do and not to do. I've also heard that "today's engines" are machined to much finer tolerances that in years gone by, and engine break-in is no longer the issue it once was. So, I've heard that you shouldn't tow because of the added stress on the entire powertrain. I've also heard you shouldn't drive at constant speeds for long periods of time and you shouldn't rev the engine up.

Does anyone have any scientific or empirical data (pipe in your gut feelings as well) or details on what engine break-in is recommended these days for maximum engine life and fuel economy?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bluesmoke91

Bluesmoke91 2nd GEN Site Mod Staff Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Cummins are work horse engines....id be surprised to see that they would need any sort of break in period

3. ramhunter9

ramhunter9 Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    P-Star Jeep Wrangler
    They don't get broke in until about 100k. So you are fine. Drive like normal bud it's a cummins it's built for anything.

I will also move this to the cummins section for you so you can get better feedback

4. dripley

dripley Member

Ram Year:
    2002 2500 ho 6 speed 4X4
    Engine:
    5.9 24v cummins
    i bought mine in late 01 when my v10 blew. i was concerned with the same thing. the mech's at the dealer told me to drive the piss out of it. the owners manual said the same thing although worde differantly. the manual says "Your Cummins 24 valve Turbo Diesel does not require a normal break-in period due to its construction" it further states 'Because of the construction of the Cummins Diesel engine, engine run in is enhanced by loaded operating conditions which allow the engine parts to achieve final finish and fit during the first 6k miles" i took delivery of mine and strapped an 11k 5th wheel to the back of it and drove it from SC to NJ at highway speed. since i only move my rv 3 or 4 times a year mine did not break in in 6k miles, it was more like 25k miles. it was like getting a new truck when it finally started to wear in. if just got stronger and stronger for about 5k miles. today the engine is stonger than when i was new.
    it probably would not hurt to ask the dealer and read the manual to be sure nothing has changed with the cummins. if it has not load it up and drive it. they were not made just to ride around in, they were made to work and work hard.

5. ramhunter9

ramhunter9 Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    P-Star Jeep Wrangler
    This ^^^

6. Mopar1973Man

Mopar1973Man Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1996, 2002
    Engine:
    1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
    Agreed... Hitch up a trailer and work the truck...

The only thing I would do is allow the engine to fully warm up before laying your foot into it. So fire it up and put it gear drive nice and easy till the engine temp is up fully then you can cut her loose... (Grin)

With any truck I would suggest you consider getting gauges for it eventually. Best way to protect your investment!

As for 6.7L truck with the DPF they are not daily drivers trucks. You need to get the EGT's up to 1,000*F for a period of time every day to burn the carbon from the DPF filter and to keep it from Regen'ing all the time. Once again these truck are made to work...

Heck I got a buddy with a 01 Dodge Cummins that rolled the 1 MILLION miles... These trucks are designed for the long haul...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  7. 05singlecabHEMI

05singlecabHEMI Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    ^^bad ass!

8. MarbleCrusher

MarbleCrusher Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    VP Cummins
    Always makes me feel good when i see that picture!

-Jordan-

9. Mopar1973Man

Mopar1973Man Senior Member

Ram Year:
    1996, 2002
    Engine:
    1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)
    More coming up to bat... :naughty:
    Dodge Cummins Milestones

So truely the Cummins engine don't complete break in period for at least 100K miles... Midlife is right around 400-500K miles if taken care of. The million mile engine I is still running back and forth across the US hauling boats daily. As for the million mile truck he blew a head gasket at around 700K miles (coolant jack to exterior) and when the head was off he still had cross harching in the bores... It not even hurt!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  10. quietpeen

quietpeen Administrator Staff Member

Ram Year:
    2016 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    welcome to RF. I've always heard to to put them to work