opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin On The Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.9
Hey guys, been a little but im looking at putting some money into power next. Id love to tune my truck up but dont know much about this Topic. My rams the 1500 Laramie 5.9 shortbed.
I already have a good idea of what exhaust id get, intake, and tbs. Wondering what kinda of things add power and also wondering what i should replace, my friend said (he's older and more into these fields) that it felt like my tranny was slipping. Idk if that means its going out but i can feel a difference in driving power wise then when i got it. I would love to beef it up and have it sound/preform good. Not trying to build a dragster Or anything, its my dd but id like to give her more power and maybe replace stuff that could be goin out if any

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Tune up stuffs
Plenum (think you've already done this, right?)
Off road y-pipe with shorty headers (can also use stock exhaust...depends on how much cash you wanna spend, really)
SCT tuner
Harland Sharp 1.7 ratio roller rockers (behaves much like a small cam)
Double roller timing set (if it hasn't been done already)
E-fan (removes the small parasitic loss of the clutch fan, but more importantly, takes the stress off the water pump and can free up engine bay space if done right)
As far as exhaust from the cat back, the pipe is good. Get a straight through muffler like a Magnaflow or something. Flowmasters (Chokemasters, Rustmasters, Blowmasters, etc.) and other heavily chambered mufflers INCREASE back pressure, not DECREASE it like they claim.

I think that's all of THAT.

As for your transmission, if you want to take the chance of it grenading (hey, might help it!) you could change the fluid and filter and tighten the bands and see if it helps any. It could make it slip worse....but in that case you needed a new trans anyway.

If you need a new trans, look at Trans Depot, Monster Transmission and PATC.

ChillyPhil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Tune up stuffs
Plenum (think you've already done this, right?)
Off road y-pipe with shorty headers (can also use stock exhaust...depends on how much cash you wanna spend, really)
SCT tuner
Harland Sharp 1.7 ratio roller rockers (behaves much like a small cam)
Double roller timing set (if it hasn't been done already)
E-fan (removes the small parasitic loss of the clutch fan, but more importantly, takes the stress off the water pump and can free up engine bay space if done right)
As far as exhaust from the cat back, the pipe is good. Get a straight through muffler like a Magnaflow or something. Flowmasters (Chokemasters, Rustmasters, Blowmasters, etc.) and other heavily chambered mufflers INCREASE back pressure, not DECREASE it like they claim.

I think that's all of THAT.

As for your transmission, if you want to take the chance of it grenading (hey, might help it!) you could change the fluid and filter and tighten the bands and see if it helps any. It could make it slip worse....but in that case you needed a new trans anyway.

If you need a new trans, look at Trans Depot, Monster Transmission and PATC.

Where can you get a straight-through magnaflow? Aren't they a tad quieter than flowmaster?

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Where can you get a straight-through magnaflow? Aren't they a tad quieter than flowmaster?

Some are straight through and some are chambered. You have to look at the description. It sucks that they don't have them categorized like Flowmaster does.

OP
OP
Austin On The Coast

Austin On The Coast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8 5.9
Went by the Audio place yesturday that did my subs and stuff and got new wiring and a new ported 2 12 box Ordered as the one they gave me came unsealed, and the guy helped pop out the dents i had as well as check some other stuff, he used a nice computer deal to check my tranny and it seemed fine he said, but my alternator and radiator need replaced, and ill save a ton of money by having this guy do it, so im kinda stoked. He gets discounts at napa, and alike stores so i might be building my truck up some here soon and not buying this quad i was going to buy. Might include a nice magnaflow

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Do the plenum, timing set and ignition tune up at the same time. lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members