Overhead console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Couple questions. Looking to add the overhead console to my 14 express. I would love to grab one with the homelink buttons and get rid on my garage fob. Is anything extra required other than throwing it it and getting the proper wiring up there? Will the homelink work once installed? Any flash from the dealer required?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Couple questions. Looking to add the overhead console to my 14 express. I would love to grab one with the homelink buttons and get rid on my garage fob. Is anything extra required other than throwing it it and getting the proper wiring up there? Will the homelink work once installed? Any flash from the dealer required?

If your truck would have came with the factory overhead console then it would have been a plug-n-play install. Since your truck did not come with overhead console and has a standard 3.0 radio. You will need to add the wiring and have the CV2 sales code added in order for it to work.

Last edited:

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried this on my 15, I got the console in no problem, ran wires for homelink to what I think is the Linbus as well as power and ground. I took the truck to the dealership for the code to be added and the tech couldn’t get the programmer and homelink module to link? I checked out my install and found out the module failed so, I replaced it and the module worked for about a week before it failed as well. Not sure why the module, keeps failing but I just stopped trying on this one. Input power is 12vdc and the linbus seems around 3-8vdc if that’s the linbus on this truck? I’m not sure my year will work without the linbus either since without that wire connected the lights on the key pad don’t work, with it they do? Anyway, just giving you my experience doing this project. With a 14 I don’t think yours needs to go thru the linbus links mine but I could be wrong on that? Maybe Rocks Ram can give you a little more?

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
So the homelink is probably a no go. Got it. Anyone know the part number for the wiring harness for a basic overhead unit? Would a simple 12v and ground run up there be fine, tapped off of the other interior lights to provide the dim function?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So the homelink is probably a no go. Got it. Anyone know the part number for the wiring harness for a basic overhead unit? Would a simple 12v and ground run up there be fine, tapped off of the other interior lights to provide the dim function?
I have installed the Homelink in a 2014 that previously had the RA1 non console. We actually got a harness off of a headliner that had been removed from a truck that had a leaky third brake light and just plugged it in to the trucks existing harness. Once we added the code it worked perfectly. I guess what I'm saying is if you wire it correctly and put in the code it should work. You may want to contact M2Mods. They might be able to make you a harness for your overhead console and possibly to connect your Homelink. If you end up getting a Homelink make sure it's out of a 2013 or newer Ram as they are different than the 2012 and older.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wasn't trying to tell you you not to try it, just letting you know what I went thru. If you do everything like you said, it should work. I'm not sure why mine needs to have an input from the Linbus to work? I only know that without that input the module won't even power up? From what I've heard, this is particular to the 15's and up. A 12vdc input and ground should power your module. Not sure about the dim function, never had mine working long enough to see that.
To sum it up, I'd try it. The wiring isn't hard, running them isn't hard and the module is around a hundred bucks so for a few hours work and a hundred bucks you can put away that garage door remote.

jshillin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did it a couple weeks ago in my '17 Express and it was Plug & Play. Works great. I programmed both garage doors with no problems.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did it a couple weeks ago in my '17 Express and it was Plug & Play. Works great. I programmed both garage doors with no problems.
Yes you obviously have the RA2 radio with the factory overhead console. Your truck is completely different than his. His truck came with the RA1 radio and no overhead console. His can be done but it's definitely not a plug and play like yours.

jshillin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes you obviously have the RA2 radio with the factory overhead console. Your truck is completely different than his. His truck came with the RA1 radio and no overhead console. His can be done but it's definitely not a plug and play like yours.

Yeah, I didn't realize he had the RA1. I had the RA2 in my truck when I bought it and upgraded to the RA3. If he doesn't have that, I'd just add a homelink rearview mirror.

Stlram81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is probably a stupid question. What's the difference between RA1 &RA2? And how do u know what I have in mine? 2018 Express.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is probably a stupid question. What's the difference between RA1 &RA2? And how do u know what I have in mine? 2018 Express.

Not a stupid question. RA1 is the radio with the 3 inch screen. RA2 is the radio with the 5 inch screen. Similarly, RA3 is the 8.4 inch screen, and RA4 is the 8.4 inch screen with navigation.

Stlram81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That makes sense. Thanks for the info.