5th Generation Overhead Console Wiring - Hot (+) in there? Diagram?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
What I want to do (Why I am asking): Hard wire a Dash Cam into the overhead console with a hot (+) and the hardwire kit for both the Hot (+), Select / Accessory (+) and then earth ground (-) to the bolt in the roof of the cab.

Basically do the same thing as if I ran the camera's hardwire adaptor cable under the headliner, down the A Post and to the Fuse Box.

ASK: Can someone tell me if there is already a dedicated hot (+) wire that runs to the Upper Console, (RAM 2500) or confirm that there is not? To do this wiring at this console, I need an always hot (+).

I do not have any schematics for the wiring harness at the Overhead Console but already can guess that there is not a dedicated wire that bypasses the ignition to the Overhead Console (can't think of why there would be a need or why they would terminate a non-select power source there). Even the overhead lights go out after 10 minutes.

Note: I do have the self dimming mirror, so I know that I can order a Dongar Technologies Dimming Mirror Harness adaptor for the select / accessory on power if I just want to go that route. However, that does not cover me for "Park" mode on the camera.

What I plan on doing:

If no current hot wire exists to there, I'll just run the commercial Wire adaptor Kit with the battery low charge protector for the Camera to the fuse box.

1697325564731.png

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let me know what you find have a new dash cam and installing it soon. I have the power cord for the power to come on if the truck is hit when parked by it self. would be nice to hook up with out going down to the fuse box by the steering wheel I got a 2023 longhorn Limited.

OP
OP
ANGLICO

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
I Just wrote that I tested all the wires.... but I just realized I did not (after some mental rethinking). I think there are two that may be viable and need to go retest.

More to follow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ANGLICO

ANGLICO

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Well, the overhead circut for the Map lights are hot, but when you turn them on, the circuit use turns on rhe system. So, I'm not sure I can constantly draw from the light without the other partially awake dash draining the battery.

I really need a mechanic that understands if I can do a constant draw of 12v from that circut.

Also, I jumped my fuse 90 and 91 across the slot and now have full time 12V to the cigarette lighter and front USB ports. There are utube videos on this.

Black Panther

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e torque
Hello, I just found this thread after searching for the same reason. Trying to install a dash camera. The black primary harness has your power & switch (12vdc constant & 12vdc switched).

The only problem is in my 2024, the 12vdc constant times out about 30 secs to 1 min after the switch is turned off. My dash camera works fine while driving but I won’t have the parking monitoring feature.

I believe the grey harness may have a 12vdc constant but I’m hesitant to tie in over there. Well, that’s what I found out so far.

Attachments

• IMG_6883.jpeg
    IMG_6883.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 8

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357