Overheating issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2010dodgesport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2010 Dodge Ram sport hemi. It’s been overheating and the 105* weather doesn’t help either.
I have replace the thermostat with a 180, put a V6 e fan mod on it and burped the cooling system. When idling it sits at 185 and when I give it gas it will climb until I make it idle again and then it will stay at the increased temp. When I take it for a drive it climbs way past 210 and starts spewing coolant. I can’t imagine my radiator is bad I have no leaks and I THINK there is a flow of water and the water pump doesn’t have any leaks or play in it. I’m thinking it’s the water pump but I want to know for sure before I start taking things apart. Any recommendations?
I have spent so much money on this truck replacing the lifters and cam and modding the cooling system it’s driving me nuts. I just want it to go from point a to b.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Does it have shutters? No way coolant should spit at 210f.

OP
OP

2010dodgesport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It does not it’s a sport package I don’t think they came with shutters I’ve pulled the grill off multiple times and never seen anything. I didn’t know shutters where an actual thing till I started having this problem

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Check if all the hoses are hot. You proy shouldn't start puking coolant till the temp is in the 230s. Make sure the coolant pressure cap is good.
You might want to test the coolant for exhaust gases, it possible a head gasket or head has a crack.

OP
OP

2010dodgesport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I replaced the radiator cap which is what I think you are referring to as coolant pressure cap with a brand new one, and it has new head gaskets. I tore down the whole engine and rebuilt it. The oil isn’t milky either

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What condition are your upper and lower radiator hoses, give it the gas and see if your bottom hose is collapsing when you rev it up there is supposed to be a spring inside that lower hose to prevent it from collapsing or sometimes the hose gets weak from supplying the water pump, is it spewing coolant from the overflow?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like water pump not properly pumping or blockage somewhere. Obviously pressure is building. Side question but Did you adjust the tune for the 180° tstat? Otherwise the truck will still attempt to run around 210°

tallfetcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
i would get a block tester and check for combustion gasses in the coolant. just because you replaced the head gaskets doesn't mean they aren't the problem... some parts stores will rent one out. here is a link to one on amazon. https://a.co/d/2RIstzJ

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I replaced the radiator cap which is what I think you are referring to as coolant pressure cap with a brand new one, and it has new head gaskets. I tore down the whole engine and rebuilt it. The oil isn’t milky either
Yes, the radiator cap, with some vehicles it's not on the radiator itself.
If the oil is milky, that a catastrophic failure, yours may not be that bad yet. Having the oil tested can find glycol in the oil that's not showing up visually. Testing for exhaust gases in the coolant is quicker as you don't need to wait for the results.

OP
OP

2010dodgesport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don’t think any exhaust gas is going through the system I burped the whole system and when running it and no air bubbles came out even when putting the heater on to burp the heater core. And I will check if that hose is collapsing here in a minute

Ron Boggio

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Your initial post is a little unclear. I believe you said you “do” see water but it’s not the water pump? If indeed this is correct the heater core should be on the suspect list. Traditionally if it is the heater core you would smell coolant in the cab. Everything else you describe is traditionally ascribed to a head gasket failure or a cracked head. Keep in mind I am not saying that’s what it is. You already have good advice here for a combustion gas check. While uncommon it does happen during an engine rebuild a head will crack on torque down. While even more uncommon, I have had new gaskets fail. One last question, did you use new or reuse the head bolts?

OP
OP

2010dodgesport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I replaced the water pump and it’s still overheating, the heater core doesn’t have any leaks, the original e fan went out and that’s when I started having the problems. I don’t know if I’m not burping the system right or if it is the heater core. But I don’t see how a bad heater core could make it overheat. Just not heat up the cab

Last edited:
OP
OP

2010dodgesport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My radiator is clogged up, I put the water hose on the bottom of the radiator outlet and what came out was nasty. Now my flow is a lot better, I put some radiator flush in it, drove it around then ima do it again and see if anything else comes out. I might have to replace my radiator

Last edited:
OP
OP

2010dodgesport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I put the water hose to on the radiator cap and I took the top radiator hose off, I took out the thermostat and doing that I get a lot more flow then putting it I. Where the top radiator hose is, some fiberglass is wore off at the inlet and I think it’s clogged up the radiator

tallfetcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
i wouldn't worry about your heater core either. But like Ron Boggio asked did you use new head bolts or reuse the old ones when you did the gaskets?