Paint film

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m thinking about doing a protective paint film on the bumpers. There are a lot of options out there. If you have done this, what product yet did you use, and are you happy with it?
Also, I’m in the DFW area, and if anyone has had a good experience with an installer here, I’d appreciate a recommendation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 3m Scotchguard on my Charger and Xpel on my Ram... I prefer the Scotchguard.. cleaner look doesn’t look cloudy like the Xpel. Has better adhesive imo. The Xpel on my Ram is lifting in a few places.. the Scotchguard still looks as good as new. Scotchguard is also more invisible on my Charger then my Ram now granted they both are obviously a different color and the install was done by two different places.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I went with 3m ppf Pro because of the 10-year warranty against Yellowing and cracking if one of their approved installers does the job. My truck is white like yours and was taking Stone hits / chips in the first week from driving 85 miles an hour on I-40/I-93 through Arizona. I'm sure there are other brands that are good but I buy a lot of 3M so I went with what I knew. I had the installer do my bumper/Grill/Fender tips / front hood Edge. And on my own I did the heels of the front fenders, the front edge of the Box behind the cab and the lower box side behind the tires.
My only piece of advice is if you get more done besides the bumper find an installer that can wrap the edges of the sheet metal. If they don't they leave paint showing on the edges and that sure as hell is where it gets chips. Thank goodness that pw7 White touches up easy.

btw there's on one 3M approved installer in the DFW area.

Last edited:

rod from md

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I hope these products have improved over the years...My dad has a high end motor coach and the clear protective film was applied to the entire solid front end...after 8 years it turned cloudy then ended up pourous ( i guess) and got moldy...i helped him remove it was a HUGE job . Ever since being involved w that, i have not considered it. i beiieve that was a 3m product but not 100% sure . Has anyone had the newer stuff on for a bunch of years?

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My chargers has been done for going on 4 years no issues. I’ve pulled off the section of the bumper last year after I got into a minor fender bender to verify if the paint was damaged on not. Thankfully besides the film it was good as new. Technology has come a long way especially when it comes to PPF, it’s more invisible nowadays.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I've had my 3M Scotchgard Pro on for 2 years. I lived in Arizona where the ambient temperature was 118 + and then was relocated to New York with an ambient temperature of -15 or so. Absolutely no discoloring, no issues, no cracking, no peeling. Something did whack the grill enough to put 2 gouges in it but it never marked the paint.