Paint protection film question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrbowtie26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
About to take delivery in the next 2 or 3 weeks of my new 2018 Ram 2500 with Sport appearance package (painted bumpers and grill etc...) and have been debating wrapping the full hood, grill, bumper, full fenders and rockers with 3m pro film (myself for about 1000) or paying someone to wrap the same with xpel for about 2200+ Any comments on the quality of current 3m pro and xpel film ? I will probably also ceramic coat over the film and the rest of the truck myself after the film is installed. I plan on having the truck for 10-12 years and want to make sure it stays as nice as possible. I'm curious how much damage you guys see as far as rock chips etc to the hood, fenders, and front bumper. I'm just not certain with the hood as high as it is if it will even get that many chips in it.

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have used 3m scotch guard on my charger and Xpel on my ram.. personally I like the Scotchguard more seems to look less obviously the finish looks so much better both are ceramic coated as well. Actually had a minor fender bender in my charger and the bra took most of the damage leaving just a little scratch. I would almost save your money if your planning on ceramic coating over it as well and just do half the hood, part of the fender, of course the mirrors, grill and bumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before I peeled the bra off

IMG_7040.JPG

After
IMG_7041.JPG

OP
OP
M

Mrbowtie26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The thing I'm unsure about is if I'd be ok with the lines in the hood and fenders if I did do a partial hood and fenders. Thanks for the reply !

I have used 3m scotch guard on my charger and Xpel on my ram.. personally I like the Scotchguard more seems to look less obviously the finish looks so much better both are ceramic coated as well. Actually had a minor fender bender in my charger and the bra took most of the damage leaving just a little scratch. I would almost save your money if your planning on ceramic coating over it as well and just do half the hood, part of the fender, of course the mirrors, grill and bumper

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What color is your truck going to be?

I did a partial hood and fender on my Bright White '17 and you can barely tell its there. It was my first time doing it and it came out pretty good....could have been better if I lined it up better. Now I know for next time :) Just a hint - if you do it yourself, make sure you make your "pivot" point the center of the hood, even if it requires stretching outward (and it will). The spot where the hood drops off and kicks backwards a little (to the left and right of the top of the grille) was challenging to get everything stuck, and since I started there by the time I got to the other side of the hood the whole piece was "cocked" back about 3/4". You cant really tell just by looking at the lines (since the hood is so big and broken up with body lines and curves) but *I* know its there.

I used Suntek Ultra film because its supposed to have the ceramic coating already on it and its easier to work with (less adhesive than the others, which is better if you arent a pro)

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The lines really aren’t hey look at me noticeable you really have to be looking for them to spot them. After all I rather have a minor film line then a rockchiped front end. My trucks red.. color makes a difference on how noticeable. If I remember tomorrow I’ll try to get a picture of the edges.

OP
OP
M

Mrbowtie26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The color is the dark red (Delmonico red).
Thanks for the input !

What color is your truck going to be?

I did a partial hood and fender on my Bright White '17 and you can barely tell its there. It was my first time doing it and it came out pretty good....could have been better if I lined it up better. Now I know for next time :) Just a hint - if you do it yourself, make sure you make your "pivot" point the center of the hood, even if it requires stretching outward (and it will). The spot where the hood drops off and kicks backwards a little (to the left and right of the top of the grille) was challenging to get everything stuck, and since I started there by the time I got to the other side of the hood the whole piece was "cocked" back about 3/4". You cant really tell just by looking at the lines (since the hood is so big and broken up with body lines and curves) but *I* know its there.

I used Suntek Ultra film because its supposed to have the ceramic coating already on it and its easier to work with (less adhesive than the others, which is better if you arent a pro)

tempotantrum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did my new White 17 Limited with Xpel- full hood, partial fenders and the part between the chrome bumper and grille. Also all four lights up front. The installer recommended full hood as the Ram hood curves can be tricky. The line on the fender and flares is slightly visible depending on the light- direct light hides it completely. I am very happy with it and the shop that did the work will replace it free if it starts to show wear within 7 years. This is in addition to the 10 year manufacturers warranty. $1200 for what I had done.

OP
OP
M

Mrbowtie26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How has anyone fared without the paint protection on their hoods as far as rock chips etc ?

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My buddy pretty much did his whole RS with xpel and it looks amazing. Self healing and it works.

Also, let the pros do it. It’ll come with warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Will someone please explain to me how the ceramic coating "bonds" to the film. What is the name of the ceramic coating?
Jay

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Will someone please explain to me how the ceramic coating "bonds" to the film. What is the name of the ceramic coating?
Jay

From what I know the ceramic coating is for paint. Not the film. Buddy of mine did ceramic where they didn’t cover with film. I’m pretty sore they don’t apply it to the film. The polishing of that stuff into the film would prob damage it

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on the film used and ceramic coating used. Cquartz will bond over Xpel

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess I misread the posts. I thought they said the film was ceramic coated. Some film you can coat and some I think it is not a good idea. "My guy" said if you wax/coat over some film it would lose some of its ability to "repair" itself. I did it anyway, just cause I think it looks better.
Jay

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yep some you can other aren’t recommend. Both the Xpel on my truck and Scotchguard on my Charger have been coated over. Just added protection I figure since both were getting fully coated anyways.

OP
OP
M

Mrbowtie26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My buddy pretty much did his whole RS with xpel and it looks amazing. Self healing and it works.

Also, let the pros do it. It’ll come with warranty

I'll take my chances. I can do the entire front end including the rockers for 650 (bought a bulk roll of 3m pro 60" x 240") myself with 3m Pro so I'd rather that than 1600 for 3M or 2500 for xpel. I'm confident I can do a good job with it.

OP
OP
M

Mrbowtie26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I guess I misread the posts. I thought they said the film was ceramic coated. Some film you can coat and some I think it is not a good idea. "My guy" said if you wax/coat over some film it would lose some of its ability to "repair" itself. I did it anyway, just cause I think it looks better.
Jay

I think I'm going to take a test piece of film and try a scratch test with and without coating to see if it still self heals with the coating before I consider ceramic coating it after the ppf

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^ I'd be interested in your results.
Jay