Painting Diamond Plate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

basscraiger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi,

Anyone have experience with painting diamond plate? My stepson is giving me his old tool box for the truck bed and I'd like to paint it black to better match the truck.

I appreciate any feedback from the forum, thanks!

-Craig

BlkXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. Scuff it up/ sand it/ sandblast it to where it's no longer shiny.
2. Clean with alcohol/acetone
3. Self etching primer
4. Paint

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
I would do an acid etch on it personally, just spray it with muriatic acid and let sit for 15-20min then rinse with water, prime and paint. The acid etch is faster than sanding the entire surface which will be a major PITA given the surface texture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
basscraiger

basscraiger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Done Deal...

Hi,

Thanks to all who gave input. The toolbox needed a little repair work too so after completing that and finding compatible J bolts at Tractor Supply, I ended up washing it really well using a degreaser and wire brush, then I wet-sanded with 320 grit, then I applied a self-etching primer, followed by Rustoleum's black, spray-on bedliner. Overall I am happy with the outcome however if I were to do this again, I'd opt for a different application method because the spray just didn't seem to go on evenly. I ended up using 5 cans of the stuff to get it to where I liked it. I have a few finishing touches to go but I'll put up pics of the finished job if anyone is interested.

-Craig

evanblain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking at doing something like this too. I can get it sand blasted to so I might just try to paint it. Just need to get some decent paint i think.