Parts Dept told me Chrysler said not to upgrade radios? Really?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Appyfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just took my 2016 1500 with 5.0 radio in for the cruise recall. While there, I stopped in the Parts Dept to get an estimate on upgrading my radio (I have the lifetime Max care warranty, which I thought would cover an upgraded radio as long as it was dealer installed). Anyway, I barely get the words “radio upgrade” out of my mouth, and the parts guy says, “No, no, I’m not doing that. Everything is connected through there-air conditioning, etc. Chrysler told me not to upgrade radios. Sorry if that disappoints you.” I left dumbfounded. Are you trying to tell me that a radio exchange is too complicated for your Techs to handle? And CHRYSLER says that? REALLY??

@ramcares-can you comment on this?

Last edited:

Bryce951

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just took my 2016 1500 with 5.0 radio in for the cruise recall. While there, I stopped in the Parts Dept to get an estimate on upgrading my radio (I have the lifetime Max care warranty, which I thought would cover an upgraded radio as long as it was dealer installed). Anyway, I barely get the words “radio upgrade” out of my mouth, and the parts guy says, “No, no, I’m not doing that. Everything is connected through there-air conditioning, etc. Chrysler told me not to upgrade radios. Sorry if that disappoints you.” I left dumbfounded. Are you trying to tell me that a radio exchange is too complicated for your Techs to handle? And CHRYSLER says that? REALLY??

Ramcares-can you comment on this?

Good job on getting the max care warranty. My 2014’s radio stopped working after a few years of minimal use. Your thread troubles me as I’m currently looking for a solution. The climate controls might be connected to the housing plate. Others on here have upgraded with no problems though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dav8388

Reaction score
Ram Year
In limbo between trucks
Engine
3.6 pentastar
Not surprising. I had a guy tell me that it is physically impossable to upgrade from an RA1 or RA2 radio to a RA3 or RA4. I explained that it is possible and that many people have done it.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, it’s possible. A quick search here should give you some threads of how it went for others.

I would consider finding a different dealer.

Also, to tag @ramcares you need to add the @ symbol.

OP
OP
A

Appyfan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks @TomT . I’ll contact the Ram dealer owned by the big guns & see what they say.

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Metra has new dash kits for Rams

I think PAC also has a kit

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
the reasons a dealer wont touch it is the people use a harness created by a 3rd party that is not an authorized chrysler part.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Dealers for the most part, only like to deal with vehicles "as built" or if the upgrade is an actual MOPAR sold accessory.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Head unit failed on my 2014 when I had it one year after I got my truck new. Mopar replaced entire head unit and no more issues with it up until I traded it foe a 19 two weeks ago or so..