Performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YellowTruckMan25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi - 5.7
I want to build out my 09 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 Hemi. I really just want the most performance im not worried about cosmetics rn. So far what im thinking for mods. is slowly do oil catch can, nos, maybe some exhaust work and a tune, maybe switch to a 6.4L intake manifold. Im just trying to figure out what the best performance will be. As far as modifications suspension lowering everything.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was under the assumption the stock 1500 5 speeds can hold up to 600 hp unless im wrong and im going to blow my tranny
Pretty sure if you use that 600hp at a track, you’ll be rebuilding your trans, unless it’s already been rebuilt or beefed up. Yours would be the first Stock ref to hold up that I’ve read about that held up.

OP
OP
Y

YellowTruckMan25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi - 5.7
Pretty sure if you use that 600hp at a track, you’ll be rebuilding your trans, unless it’s already been rebuilt or beefed up. Yours would be the first Stock ref to hold up that I’ve read about that held up.
Something I might have to look into then. Is it the newer 8 speeds that can hold up to 600 whp then? So the 390 is all the stock 5 speeds can hold? Thats a big let down if so because I cant afford to build the trans.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Something I might have to look into then. Is it the newer 8 speeds that can hold up to 600 whp then? So the 390 is all the stock 5 speeds can hold? Thats a big let down if so because I cant afford to build the trans.
As I understand the numbers, yes that is the case. Not sure on the of the number on the eight speed. There is a performance section with guys with far more knowledge than I have.

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you refer to a nitrous oxide system as NOS..you should put the bottle down and slowly walk away. The trans will be the least of your worries. And the catch can mod..I’ll leave that one alone.
Figure out your goal RWHP or 1/8mi & 1/4mi time slip.
Then start with the basics fella;
Custom tune.
Exhaust.
Intake.
Cam.
Torque Converter.
Gears.
Colder plugs if you spray.
Hopefully it’s a wet shot.
And some tires to make use of the power.
When the 5spd craps out, go for 8spd swap. Unless you wanna keep sinking money into that 5spd after every track visit.
Good luck and welcome!!

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Will your transmission hold up ? I believe a stock hemi at 390 hp is all it can handle.
As I understand the numbers, yes that is the case. Not sure on the of the number on the eight speed. There is a performance section with guys with far more knowledge than I have.
This list might help.

The 6-speed transmissions used for that model year 1500 was the 545RFE which is not on the list. Despite the 8HP 70 and 8HP75 8-speeds reputation for durability, the 66RFE has better torque specs.

Regards,img176.jpg
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 91311 miles.