Picking Up my 1500 black sport edition Monday, need some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ceej371

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey all, new to the forum. Will be picking up my 2016 1500 CC black sport edition with 5'7 bed on Monday and already have a bunch of little mods I'm planning.

1. Wanna do an HID kit, but don't wanna have to drill the projectors and I've read that the 2016 are very finicky when changing lights. Any suggestions on a good plug and play kit? Dynamic diodes has a kit but it doesn't say if it's plug and play or any drilling is required.

2. Looking to upgrade the fogs, license plate lights, interior lights and reverse lights to LED. Anyone have a reommendation of some that won't cause issues with the EVIC?

3. If I just plan on doing a level, should I go with 33s or 35s for the tires? (Don't want any rubbing)

4. I didn't order the park sense but now I'm kinda wishing I coughed up the extra cash and got it. Anyone know if it's possible to add after the fact?

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Drill out the projectors!? Huh

Plug and play harness and HID kit from retro shop. Go with a 50w kit in the stock projectors and either 5500 or 6500k bulbs. 2016 I think just require another set of resistors and small things but it comes as a kit.

I ran a morimoto ram harness, 50w HID and 5500 and 6500 in my 14 express with sport headlights for over a year. Just last week I opened them up and did a FXR projector swap, it's not easy but shows some good gains. Jeremy at retro shop will swap it all for u and sell you the harness and HIDs just
Gotta cough up the coin.

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put red LED map and dome bulbs in, LED plate and reverse lights in, no error messages .....2016 1500 Express Black Out Edition

chiefman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
if you have the back up camera the park sense doesnt really do much IMO. I had no camera or park sense on my old chevy and it drove me nuts. Did you get the 8.4 ?

Sowardcustoms

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
if you have the back up camera the park sense doesnt really do much IMO. I had no camera or park sense on my old chevy and it drove me nuts. Did you get the 8.4 ?

Park sense comes with sensors in the front too. The back sensors are helpfull when you cant see the camera bad lighting or the lens is dirty.

OP
OP
C

Ceej371

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Yes I got the 8.4AN with backup camera. No front or rear sensors though. I'd figure they just mark and drill the bumpers, snap in the sensors, I'm assuming all the wiring is already there and it just has to be plugged in and flashed at the dealer?

OP
OP
C

Ceej371

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put red LED map and dome bulbs in, LED plate and reverse lights in, no error messages .....2016 1500 Express Black Out Edition

Where did you get the leds? Apparently some work error free but most will give you bulb out messages

OP
OP
C

Ceej371

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Drill out the projectors!? Huh

Plug and play harness and HID kit from retro shop. Go with a 50w kit in the stock projectors and either 5500 or 6500k bulbs. 2016 I think just require another set of resistors and small things but it comes as a kit.

I ran a morimoto ram harness, 50w HID and 5500 and 6500 in my 14 express with sport headlights for over a year. Just last week I opened them up and did a FXR projector swap, it's not easy but shows some good gains. Jeremy at retro shop will swap it all for u and sell you the harness and HIDs just
Gotta cough up the coin.

From what I've read though the 15 and 16 rams are super finicky with all the lights now and a lot of kits that worked on older models will give you a bulb out warning on the new ones. I'd just like to buy a kit that has everything I need and is plug and play so I don't have to splice any wires and mess up my warranty

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Yes I got the 8.4AN with backup camera. No front or rear sensors though. I'd figure they just mark and drill the bumpers, snap in the sensors, I'm assuming all the wiring is already there and it just has to be plugged in and flashed at the dealer?

There are also switches in the dash under the heater controls also and adjustments in the EVIC which will probably require a flash from the dealer. OTOH, I like mine, they really help with distances when parking.

Not to be critical but why do you want to change the head/fog lights out until you have run them in the dark? My 14 Sport has pretty decent lights from the factory.

Last edited:

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
The factory projectors on the Sports and the Laramies (and up) are not terrible, definitely not as bad as the non-projectors. For the 2016s they are supposedly even a bit better from the factory, as they changed the bulbs to the 9005 instead of the previous 9012. The 9005s work a bit better in the factory projectors evidently, or so I've read.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Ceej371

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are also switches in the dash under the heater controls also and adjustments in the EVIC which will probably require a flash from the dealer. OTOH, I like mine, they really help with distances when parking.

Not to be critical but why do you want to change the head/fog lights out until you have run them in the dark? My 14 Sport has pretty decent lights from the factory.

I've seen the stock projectors at night. I like the look of HIDs in projectors much better.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 2016's sports headlights are frig all better with stock bulbs...I didnt wanna deal with flickering,error msg,cutting or anything else for now so i just spent to much on the zxe's..They are better but not like hid or led's..

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got them from superbrightled, and the dome light, which was a huge pita to find , the bulb for that won't match any number or code..... had to snap a few pics of it and talk to the service guy a couple of times on the phone. .... and he was extremely helpful. ... I prolly have the email with the dome light number , in my email somewhere if ya want it, I will dig it up

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pics don't do them justice

Attachments

• 20160423_213632.jpg
    20160423_213632.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20160423_213627.jpg
    20160423_213627.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 65

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guess I got the names messed up..... I got the cargo light from Diode Dynamics, the map lights from superbrightled ....

This can be one of two bulbs depending on how the bulbs are held in place. If the loop is used it will be the top link for 44mm, if it is held in with a compression socket it will be the second 39mm

The 39mm is the one that worked for me

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't seem to find the emails for the map lights atm.... but they are actual bulbs, not cylinder or fontoons. ... just give super bright a call.... they are extremely helpful.....
Map light part numbers that came with my truck are TS 212-9
The dome light is 7679 ....but you won't find that on the net, on a site, on a train, in the rain etc lol .... just get the 39mm ;)

OP
OP
C

Ceej371

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like dynamic diodes has all the other lighting I'm looking for. Soooooooo anyone have a name/link for a complete plug and play HID kit?

Can I get the dealer to install park sense?

And with the stock 20" rims will 33 inch tires rub?