Pickup truck headlights performed poorly in new tests

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacobsmudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 express 4x2 6at reg cab
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My truck has the standard halogen lights... if im on the road with this truck after a fresh rain, it's as if there are no headlights. For a 2014, that's just shocking. Actually dangerous.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
FINALLY someone else acknowledges what we've been complaining about and spending hard earned dollars to fix aftermarket.

RAM - please fix this!

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2014 has OEM projectors and I find them decent on low beam and on high beam are actually pretty good, but I have seen some of the standard headlights on the RAMs and I agree they are definitely below par.

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My 2014 has OEM projectors and I find them decent on low beam and on high beam are actually pretty good, but I have seen some of the standard headlights on the RAMs and I agree they are definitely below par.

You must have gotten lucky. My 2014 Ram projectors sucked. I replaced the bulbs with Sylvania ZXE bulbs and the high beams are now acceptable.

Divinggumby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some of it could be cause of the color of the lights. They want the cool colors but don't realize they make it harder for your eyes to see and from what I've read as you get up past around the 5500 mark it's harder on your eyes. I'll be upgrading my lights to a 4500 35 watt HID, piaa high bulbs and maybe a light bar for those back roads.

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Stock bulbs are not cool colors. They are yellow crap. I had to change out my 2015 projectors to HID even still it its not very bright in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Aileron516

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You think the rams projector headlights are bad, i wonder how my fathers GMC sierra is road legal with halogen projectors. Needless to say HIDS fix em both

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
My truck has the standard halogen lights... if im on the road with this truck after a fresh rain, it's as if there are no headlights. For a 2014, that's just shocking. Actually dangerous.

Any headlights will degrade drastically on a wet road. The water on the road makes it more of a smooth flat surface causing the light to reflect at a similar angle away from you.

jacobsmudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Any headlights will degrade drastically on a wet road. The water on the road makes it more of a smooth flat surface causing the light to reflect at a similar angle away from you.

None of my trucks or cars produced this millennium are as bad as this RAM. And, on the markers, my headlights are aligned and level... in reality, they shine in peoples faces. I have them down a bit for other peoples safety as well and they STILL cant light the road.

Simply a poor housing design on the RAM.

Kincer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My wife's Kia borrego has stock OEM projector headlights no fogs and I can see way better in the rain in the dark than I can with a my brand new Ram.

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's humorous when people ***** about their headlights. Want bad? Drive a 2nd gen Dodge especially without sport lights. I feel like my Ram has pretty good lights for halogens. I'm a professional driver though so maybe I've learned to work with less than optimal lighting through experience.

I've had a few cars with HIDs, and they are really nice. Will most likely retrofit some on my truck in the future. One thing I would like to point out about everyone going with these super bright retina piercing lights is the pain of being in the other lane coming toward them. That and flashing headlights on bikes irritate the hell out of me when it's dark.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
None of my trucks or cars produced this millennium are as bad as this RAM. And, on the markers, my headlights are aligned and level... in reality, they shine in peoples faces. I have them down a bit for other peoples safety as well and they STILL cant light the road.

Simply a poor housing design on the RAM.

My truck has the factory projector housings, and honestly I have no complaints.

jacobsmudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's humorous when people ***** about their headlights. Want bad? Drive a 2nd gen Dodge especially without sport lights. I feel like my Ram has pretty good lights for halogens.

You're really going to complain about a 1994-2002 dodge? Crappy headlights are the least of your concern. I cant help it if youre used to working with less, but apparently I'm not alone in thinking these headlights are ********.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can remember how impressed I was when I changed my sealed beams to halogens on my 82. My 85 came with them. Never had and thing to complain about in my 95 & 97. My 95 had fogs the 97 didn't, but had plow lights on the plow. Wasn't happy with my 08 Jeeps stock bulbs. Changed them to silver stars which I liked. But according to those that know - they sucked too.[emoji15].
My 12 has fogs and again I leave them on. So I don't complain but wouldn't mind better, stock headlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're really going to complain about a 1994-2002 dodge? Crappy headlights are the least of your concern. I cant help it if youre used to working with less, but apparently I'm not alone in thinking these headlights are ********.

You said worst of any truck of this millennium, and I'm telling you that's an exaggeration compared to what I've driven. There's definitely better, but it wasn't long ago that they were so so much worse.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine seem fine to me. With my fog lights on I have no issues seeing. Granted there are better options. They are better then my grandpa's 15 Silverado and my dad's 07 Silverado.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use brighter sylvania's in my quad halogens and replace them once/year because bulbs degrade over time. When I'm on unlit country roads where the oncoming traffic is a little too frequent for hi-beams I turn the foglights on for additional lighting. It's worked quite well for $75/year :)

jacobsmudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You said worst of any truck of this millennium, and I'm telling you that's an exaggeration compared to what I've driven. There's definitely better, but it wasn't long ago that they were so so much worse.

If you read, i said worst truck or car i owned not ever made. There's a || bit of difference.

And ya'll know, foglights are supposed to be used in fog not all the time? So if youre using your foglights all the time, you're doing it wrong. Or the regular lights arent sufficient for you - AND THERES THE PROBLEM HERE </closethread>

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AKJeeper