Plastidip explained...for the naysayers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I used it, have no complaints whatsoever.
Would I use it again, sure. I know what I am buying, and what to expect.

kml9491

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used it last weekend, didn't dry my bumper completely as water started to seep out from under the plastic as I was spraying so it messed up on those edges. Did I cuss plastidip? Did I go bash it? Nope. I'm not a ******* who blames others for my mistakes. I screwed up. I'll be redoing it this weekend. FTW!!

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used it last weekend, didn't dry my bumper completely as water started to seep out from under the plastic as I was spraying so it messed up on those edges. Did I cuss plastidip? Did I go bash it? Nope. I'm not a ******* who blames others for my mistakes. I screwed up. I'll be redoing it this weekend. FTW!!

I saw your pics.

Simple mistake. Lesson learned.

My first rookie f---up was on my 300 SRt wheels. Well...those have lots of spokes...and I didn't put enough layers on. It was a nightmare getting it off let me tell you.

But it was MY fault. I didn't apply it correctly.

Last edited:

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Man whats the deal with plasti dip bashing? It feels to me like some guys have resentments against it which I cannot understand that mindset.

I'm just paying back all the people who ***** when I recommend Rigid lights vs. Chicom crap.

I understand each to his own, and would never presume to "tell" anyone what to do with their own rig, all I can do is recommend based on my personal experiences. That said, experience DOES count for something. I notice a pretty stark demarcation of supporters/non-supporters of plastic-dip (and cheap Chicom lights) according to age. Seems to be right around 35 give-or-take with few exceptions. I think the older folks tend towards higher quality/more permanent rather than the instant gratification. It also likely helps that we are probably, on average, more financially stable than the younger crowd.

Again, to each his own, enjoy your own rig and have pride in the work you put into it.

And GET OFF MY LAWN!!! :favorites13:

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm just paying back all the people who ***** when I recommend Rigid lights vs. Chicom crap.

I understand each to his own, and would never presume to "tell" anyone what to do with their own rig, all I can do is recommend based on my personal experiences. That said, experience DOES count for something. I notice a pretty stark demarcation of supporters/non-supporters of plastic-dip (and cheap Chicom lights) according to age. Seems to be right around 35 give-or-take with few exceptions. I think the older folks tend towards higher quality/more permanent rather than the instant gratification. It also likely helps that we are probably, on average, more financially stable than the younger crowd.

Again, to each his own, enjoy your own rig and have pride in the work you put into it.

And GET OFF MY LAWN!!! :favorites13:

lol! :favorites13: Touche !!!

Nothing financially for me at 32 yrs old. I mean I bought the truck in Feb on Super Bowl Sunday and it was bone stock minus the 2" front end lift kit and the 18" rims and 35" Mud Terrains. Now I have American Racing Long tubes, MBRP cat back, Diablo Sport Trinity tuner, Edge Racing torque converter, 16 OEM NKG plugs, Billet Tech catch can and thats just my Moes Performance bill :roflsquared: Add in Retro Shop headlights, efan, Vibrant resonator, Motorad 180 stat, Got some aftermarket tail lights and 3rd brake light on the way, K&N 63 intake, seat covers, console cover, a set of four Nitto Terra Grappler G2s when I went down a size for performance reasons. Then my Chicom (Auxbeam) LEDs. Oh and some OPT7 low beams and fogs. And yes all my bills were paid on time with the barn still stocked.

I simply cannot buy cheap 99% of the time. The Auxbeam LEDs I read enough and was willing to buy since Amazon Prime is free returns. Basically many many people kept saying how surprised they were of the quality and no one reports water leakage so I took a chance. If I went hunting for two weeks in no mans land I may have reconsidered. I feel in my consumerism I have learned the ability to research enough to know if the product is not top line if it will meet certain levels of expectation still. LEDs for me were 100% extra fun, not needed at all.

Plasti Dip for me is fun because anyone can try out a look for cheap and easy way. I never intended fire meant grill to be permanent but would have no second thoughts about using it to be a permanent solution.

Where quality really matters is function and performance, not cosmetics per say. You see what I mean right? I wouldn't trust my engine to any ol tuner, or if you truly need Rigid LEDs (for any reason) to know in your mind they will never fail then awesome! I could have bought long tube headers for half the cost but I wanted the best. I have Aimpoint optics on my AR...I would be fine with Vortex optics for 1/3 of the cost. But then again Vortex may not be able to withstand the torture testing Larry Vickers and Daniel Defense did with Aimpoint optics on that particular rifle two times. I don't personally need that level of quality but it's nice knowing :)

Anyway how about Hilary? Jking...

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plasti Dip for me is fun because anyone can try out a look for cheap and easy way.

This...

I get bored with **** too fast to make permanent changes. So if I can make quick, cheaper changes for the time being I'm content.

Also, I agree with sbarron to a point on the money factor.

As already stated...paint/powder coat will look nicer and be permanent but at a cost wayyyyy more than dip. Not to say the younger crowd can't afford it...if there's a will there's a way. So I don't believe the age thing plays a significant role...just my opinion. But I get his point.

Also I agree with jlpowell....can't cheap out on everything.

Did I need a $300 s&b intake? No.
$2000 toyo r/t's? Nope.

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This...

I get bored with **** too fast to make permanent changes. So if I can make quick, cheaper changes for the time being I'm content.

Also, I agree with sbarron to a point on the money factor.

As already stated...paint/powder coat will look nicer and be permanent but at a cost wayyyyy more than dip. Not to say the younger crowd can't afford it...if there's a will there's a way. So I don't believe the age thing plays a significant role...just my opinion. But I get his point.

Also I agree with jlpowell....can't cheap out on everything.

Did I need a $300 s&b intake? No.
$2000 toyo r/t's? Nope.

Man I tell you though I think the Toyo "RT" is the best looking tire on the market IMO. I really wanted them but with my goals the weight was too much...Looks great though :)

RamWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man I tell you though I think the Toyo "RT" is the best looking tire on the market IMO. I really wanted them but with my goals the weight was too much...Looks great though :)

They are ****.... that is all.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't know if it's been mentioned, but it would seem plastidip has its uses. Especially for parts that you want to look good but routinely get damaged from adverse driving conditions. Even as a protection for factory paint.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Anyone use plasti dip clear glossifier as a paint protectant on the rockers . Does thT peel of just like normal stuff?

OP
OP
Rzrman328

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone use plasti dip clear glossifier as a paint protectant on the rockers . Does thT peel of just like normal stuff?

Plastidip clear/glossifier yes.

NOT regular clear coat....not trying to insult your intelligence but some have tried it.

Lil FYI.....you CAN put regular clear coat over plastidip and it WILL still peel off but it will not be fun. I do not recommend lol

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So clear plasti dip. Is that the glossifier? And it will peel and add protection

jssmith76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this picture isn't a Ram or a Dodge, but I had to surprise the lil wifey this morning by dipping her rims. Plus, doing this (without being asked) automatically gives me permission to spoil my Ram.

IMG_20160529_133431.jpg

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
Walking across the parking lot. I saw this dudes wheels on his Challenger....I thought to myself "wow! Those look SO Cleeeean!"

0842459f0cdff44221a17982f04a9edf.jpg