power fold mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Gentlemen,

I am new to this forum I am on another however, the others will have no idea what I speak of. A lot of you have made headway on this topic already so I have a simple question. I have a 2013 2500 Laramie with sport/express mirrors with all the nice options like: power fold, heated, memory, auto dim and whatever else they come with. I am only wanting to swap my mirrors out with tow mirrors with the exact same options that is it. I obviously have to get my hands on a set of tow mirrors, but what is the likely hood of me getting a set with the same options and them working? Obviously minus the auto dim feature as the tow mirrors don't have them. Yes I know '13 tow mirrors did not come with these options however, '14 3500's did as well as some '14 2500's and various '15 models. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

The wiring and connectors are the same for the tow mirrors, so you should be able to retain any features you currently have as long as the mirrors have them too.

beans20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The wiring and connectors are the same for the tow mirrors, so you should be able to retain any features you currently have as long as the mirrors have them too.

That is what I am hoping for, but obviously dealer says it won't work. I don't believe them though. What I don't understand is why will techs not take on this project seeing how it brings in business, granted some of them don't want anymore business than what they have.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That is what I am hoping for, but obviously dealer says it won't work. I don't believe them though. What I don't understand is why will techs not take on this project seeing how it brings in business, granted some of them don't want anymore business than what they have.

Most of the techs I've encountered are clueless. If they can't plug in a scanner and have it tell them what part to swap, they can't help you.

Also, there's nothing techs can do to add power folding mirrors to a truck that didn't have them. Only Chrysler can do it, so you're screwed even if you have a good service department.

beans20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Most of the techs I've encountered are clueless. If they can't plug in a scanner and have it tell them what part to swap, they can't help you.

Also, there's nothing techs can do to add power folding mirrors to a truck that didn't have them. Only Chrysler can do it, so you're screwed even if you have a good service department.

Yeah that's true, but if it weren't for the fact that my truck came with them then I could care less if I had power fold or not. But since I do have the option I would like to keep it that way, and I tow quite a bit, and I loved my tow mirrors on my other '13.

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah that's true, but if it weren't for the fact that my truck came with them then I could care less if I had power fold or not. But since I do have the option I would like to keep it that way, and I tow quite a bit, and I loved my tow mirrors on my other '13.

Gain access to the door modules and verify the part number on them, you can compare them to the p/n of the modules that work with the regular power folding mirrors.

beans20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Gain access to the door modules and verify the part number on them, you can compare them to the p/n of the modules that work with the regular power folding mirrors.

Yeah I've been trying to get the part numbers for the module but can't seem to get my hands on them. I can get a price but dealership doesn't want to give me part numbers.

beans20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well I talked to my service manager in MS and he said if I buy the mirrors he will make them work like they are supposed to if they don't just plug and play. I asked him about changing sales codes and such, his words were "oh yeah I've gone in several of these trucks and changed all kinds of sales codes this isn't new to me". The only thing he expressed concern about was the fact hat I will have to buy '15 mirrors. But once again he said "if you buy them don't give up the idea just yet until I know for sure it won't work, but I feel sure I can make it happen". So that's very reassuring. The only reason I asked about changing sales codes is due to the fact that once you flip up the tow mirrors there is a sensor in there so the switch operates correctly instead of being all jacked up.

beans20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So if there is anyone on here that has power fold tow mirrors and all that good jazz, that wants to swap for the sport/express mirrors I'm all ears!

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes, the truck needs the two mirror sales code in order to know when they're in the tow position. My only concern would be how the truck will react if it has codes for tow, power fold, and AutoDim set because that's a configuration that didn't exist in 2013. It theoretically shouldn't matter, but it's hard to say. The tow code might take precedence and it will ignore the others. You really won't know until you try.

beans20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My only concern would be how the truck will react if it has codes for tow, power fold, and AutoDim set because that's a configuration that didn't exist in 2013.

Yeah I asked about that, he said that he wouldn't know the answer to that specific question for sure until he got in the BCM and gave it a shot. Idk if it's possible but I'm wondering if he could possibly update it with '15 part numbers and make it work that way. But you're right only way to know for sure is let him give it a shot. Worst case scenario is I just have tow mirrors that don't power fold. I'm ok with that in the end as long as they will function properly when in the tow position. In case some of those options don't work what is your opinion on putting in '15 door modules? Or would that be kind of the same concept due to part number change and if sales codes changed on the modules also between the two years?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
All the sales codes do are generate a configuration file that gets downloaded to the BCM. The BCM then references that configuration to determine how to behave. As long as the system doesn't freak out because you have mutually exclusive option codes and the BCM doesn't care either, you should be OK.

Personally, I think you'll be fine. I think the new mirrors will work when you plug them with the exception of the tow position.

beans20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
All the sales codes do are generate a configuration file that gets downloaded to the BCM. The BCM then references that configuration to determine how to behave. As long as the system doesn't freak out because you have mutually exclusive option codes and the BCM doesn't care either, you should be OK.

Personally, I think you'll be fine. I think the new mirrors will work when you plug them with the exception of the tow position.

Thanks man I appreciate your help!

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I've read this entire thread but would still like to know what I'm about to get myself into. I'm trading in my 11 sport that has tow mirrors and getting a 13 sport with power fold sport mirrors. If I get towing mirrors for it should I get power folding ones since mine has that feature? I dont really care if I have that or not as I can fit everywhere I need to by folding the drivers side. Then I need to get modules specific to tow mirrors for both sides? And different switches if I go the non power fold route? And of course before all that I should probably see if any dealers will have any ability to help before installing all of this?

On another note I'm surprised so many people want to get rid of the tow mirrors, I could see needing the power fold if you have a garage where both have to be folded in. But I have a regular cab and dont tow anything but I couldn't imagine not having them. I love how I can see where my rear tires are on the ground, along w/backup camera and under bumper reverse lights I can back up our dark driveway filled with cars with tons of confidence and never having to look behind me. Also for parallel parking or just parking on tight streets where you want to get as close to the curb as possible, and I can see exactly where I'm at. And the extra blind spot help on the highway is great.

And on that note if anyone with tow mirrors is wanting to switch to power folds from a sport, let me know.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks man I appreciate your help!

00R/T is correct your 15 mirrors will work on your truck with no issues as long as you have the correct sales codes for blinker and puddle it's LEB and LEC I know there is a code for the tow mirrors as well but I can't remember what it was. It should be available in your options list as tow mirrors were an option on the 13 Express. I put 13 tow mirrors on my 14 and the blinker and puddle lights worked fine. I never put them in the tow position to see if they adjusted properly because I removed them. I just thought they looked way to big for the truck. My Sport mirrors work fine for me while towing so I changed them back.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so I've read this entire thread but would still like to know what I'm about to get myself into. I'm trading in my 11 sport that has tow mirrors and getting a 13 sport with power fold sport mirrors. If I get towing mirrors for it should I get power folding ones since mine has that feature? I dont really care if I have that or not as I can fit everywhere I need to by folding the drivers side. Then I need to get modules specific to tow mirrors for both sides? And different switches if I go the non power fold route? And of course before all that I should probably see if any dealers will have any ability to help before installing all of this?

On another note I'm surprised so many people want to get rid of the tow mirrors, I could see needing the power fold if you have a garage where both have to be folded in. But I have a regular cab and dont tow anything but I couldn't imagine not having them. I love how I can see where my rear tires are on the ground, along w/backup camera and under bumper reverse lights I can back up our dark driveway filled with cars with tons of confidence and never having to look behind me. Also for parallel parkinjig or just parking on tight streets where you want to get as close to the curb as possible, and I can see exactly where I'm at. And the extra blind spot help on the highway is great.

And on that note if anyone with tow mirrors is wanting to switch to power folds from a sport, let me know.

If your truck has power fold mirrors you already have the LER sales code so the power fold option should work if you get power fold tow mirrors. You may need to have the tow mirror code installed for them to adjust correctly when opened which 00R/T stated in another thread may overide the other options because I don't believe the power fold tow mirror was an option until the later years. I belive in became available in 15 or 16. The worst case senario
in my opinion is maybe the power fold option would be overridden by the tow mirror code.

Last edited:

beans20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
00R/T is correct your 15 mirrors will work on your truck with no issues as long as you have the correct sales codes for blinker and puddle it's LEB and LEC I know there is a code for the tow mirrors as well but I can't remember what it was. It should be available in your options list as tow mirrors were an option on the 13 Express. I put 13 tow mirrors on my 14 and the blinker and puddle lights worked fine. I never put them in the tow position to see if they adjusted properly because I removed them. I just thought they looked way to big for the truck. My Sport mirrors work fine for me while towing so I changed them back.

Do you still have those '13 tow mirrors? If so what options do they have?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your truck has power fold mirrors you already have the LER sales code so the power fold option should work if you get power fold tow mirrors. You may need to have the tow mirror code installed for them to adjust correctly when opened which 00R/T stated in another thread may overide the other options because I don't believe the power fold tow mirror was an option until the later years. I belive in became available in 15 or 16. The worst case senario
in my opinion is maybe the power fold option would be overridden by the tow mirror code.

So if I got power fold tows then I could keep my door switch but still need new modules? And when you say work properly when opened do you mean the mirror just unfolder, or the mirror in the vertical position as opposed to horizontal? As long as they worked properly while in the horizontal position that would be good enough for me, wouldnt ever have them up.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So if I got power fold tows then I could keep my door switch but still need new modules? And when you say work properly when opened do you mean the mirror just unfolder, or the mirror in the vertical position as opposed to horizontal? As long as they worked properly while in the horizontal position that would be good enough for me, wouldnt ever have them up.

Swapping modules and switches doesn't get you anything because you can't change the BCM configuration. If your truck is setup for power fold it will have the BCM config, the door modules, and the switch needed for power fold. If it didn't come with power fold, there's nothing you can do to add it (right now).