Power Inverter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Wooten

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anybody used the in dash power inverter to charge laptops? I cant figure out what type of inverter it is, and I dont want to damage my Surface.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How would it ruin your device?

Wouldnt you use a power supply that converts from 110v to whatever voltage?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

GordDavey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something to keep in mind. The 4th Gen's 110V dash inverter can only supply a small amount of amps (1.5 or 3 I cannot remember). Not enough to charge a laptop, but enough to charge a cell phone. The new 5th Gen's use a different more powerful inverter and have enough amps to charge laptop class machines. The exact figures for amps I do not remember, but I have read it here on the forum as many others have asked this question in the past.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The 4th Gen's 110V dash inverter can only supply a small amount of amps (1.5 or 3 I cannot remember). Not enough to charge a laptop, but enough to charge a cell phone.
The inverter in the Gen4 trucks is 150 watts(or 1.25 amps). Whether it can charge a laptop depends on the size of the laptop power supply, there will be a input voltage/current rating on the charger itself.
I use my 17" laptop on a 150 watt inverter all the time, the laptop power supply is 65 watts.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ WHAT Crash Said. The Inverters on the 2019's are supposed to be 400 watts. ALAS< poor BOIRD here, Bighorn trim, no Inverter, LOL.....

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
If you are referring to the whether its a pure or modified sine wave inverter, my bet is on modified. Although a pure sine wave inverter delivers cleaner power, I don't think the manufacturer bean counters would approve the additional expense

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The only way I know to figure it out is to plug in something with a small motor. If it is steady wine it would be pure sine. If it sounds like it changes pitch or just not smooth, it is modified. Not fully scientific. Perhaps there is something on the inverter itself that would provide a clue, if you can get to it.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The only way I know to figure it out is to plug in something with a small motor. If it is steady wine it would be pure sine. If it sounds like it changes pitch or just not smooth, it is modified. Not fully scientific. Perhaps there is something on the inverter itself that would provide a clue, if you can get to it.

4th Gen inverter is under the passenger seat. Having installed one last year I can say that I do not recall there being much of anything listed on it other than the Mopar part number.

-K

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You’re not going to hurt anything. It will either work or it won’t. I have charged my HP laptop off my inverter a bunch of times.

TwinSuns

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Can definitely charge a laptop on the inverter, have done it plenty of times. Also bought a more powerful 1000w inverter that connects to the battery to charge more powerful items