Power steerimg fluid. UGHHH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

natedefelice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put power steering fluid in opposed to atf4. what is the procedure to flush this.. ugh stupid! How many quarts should ot take? thanks guys.. Ramsavers!

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Depending on how much you put in just leave it there i would think

wknoxfarms

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know they recommend atf 4+. The guy who had my pickup before me cost me a rack and pinion, power steering pump and new lines.... So i would NOT recommend leaving it in. I believe the reasoning behind this is viscosity, at lower temps the atf wont get thick like the power steering fluid will.. when the fluid gets thick the pump cavitates and causes issues. as far as flushing i would think the best would be pull of the lines let it run out, maybe jack up the front end and manually push the wheels to empty the rack.. im not expert just my thoughts and experiences.

FlaglerMegacab4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the same thing and yea that's all I did lifted the truck and removed the lines and just kept pushing the wheels to push all the fluid out. I can't say how much cause I have gear box steering not R&P