Power wagon questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Winching

Reaction score
Hey all,

Firstly, apologies if this is the millionth time this week this question has been asked.

I'm considering getting a power wagon, maybe 2021. Is their any known issues with them? I've heard of ram trucks having transmission issues, cam issues, cp4 issues. Any particular things plague the power wagon 6.4? I'm interested in keeping the truck till the wheels fall off. Not a truck ill swap out every 3 years. Thank you kindly to any one for their opinions.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the new 8speed has been rock solid so far. I have not heard of any cam issues on new 6.4L hemi's obviously cp4 does not apply. I would say 2019 on up have been rock solid for the most part. I needed a battery and alternator replaced under warranty on my 2020. little things can happen with any man made vehicle but there is nothing over the top going wrong with newer power wagons. Probably the biggest issue I see people report is problems with their 12" screen. I have an 8.4" and never had an issue yet in 17000 miles.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Really nothing unique in regards to the engine, transmission, or really any other main aspects of the drivetrain or suspension with the PW.

Tinman454

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

Firstly, apologies if this is the millionth time this week this question has been asked.

I'm considering getting a power wagon, maybe 2021. Is their any known issues with them? I've heard of ram trucks having transmission issues, cam issues, cp4 issues. Any particular things plague the power wagon 6.4? I'm interested in keeping the truck till the wheels fall off. Not a truck ill swap out every 3 years. Thank you kindly to any one for their opinions.
I too am thinking of owning my 2021 power wagon for a long time and am happy to say I have 8,000 km and 8 months in the truck and no problems so far.

MantaRay67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got six months and 6,500 miles on my 21 PW.
Other than the dealer not resetting the TPMS for my 5th wheel spare that they put into rotation, the truck is fine with no other problems. I love this "Beast" and will be keeping it for a very long time!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

Anyone that has spent much time around the modern Hemi world knows it has inherent issues if not properly maintained. That is the key. Most people just change the oil every 10k miles or more with whatever oil the local shop puts in it, and drive the crap out of them. I have personally seen two 5.7L Hemi's blow up with only about 100k miles on them. It isn't a Toyota V8 or V6 engine so you cannot neglect them, or at least for a long time. I am a long time Toyota guy with trucks, land cruisers and 4Runners, and some went over 300k (why I brought it up). Those engines are bullet proof but gutless and exceedingly boring. The 6.4L with the 4:10 diffs is definitely not gutless and boring, haha. The truck flat gets it done and issues forth beautiful V8 sounds.

I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic that carries the specification for the 6.4 and change it about every 7,500 miles with the end goal of getting 250k out of this truck. The ZF HD transmission has been really great so far and with the massive axles and diffs, the truck is hell for stout.

All of that said, because I was shooting for maximum longevity like you, I special ordered my PW with a minimalist mind set starting with a base model Tradesman, added the 8.4, marker lights, trailer brake control, all vinyl seats and flooring, and the PW package. That is all, no stupid parking warnings blaring and such, and it keeps the truck about as simple as it can be. Some will argue that this isn't needed and the fancy tech on the full PW does not hinder its reliability, but ever had to foot the bill on an older vehicle with gobs of tech when the gremlins come out (and they will)?

An example are Wranglers. I have had a Wranglers for many years and still do. I always buy them new, maintain them properly with full synthetics, and special order them as the most base model you can get (manual windows and all), and they are incredibly reliable. I watch folks in the Jeep club fighting electrical issue all the time I never have, due to the extra tech and gadgets. I smile inwardly as my Wrangler plods along, year after year, problem free.

Flack jacket is properly fitted and ready, lol.

Keith67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2021, ordered brand new. 17,000 miles and only one issue, a leaky front driveshaft seal (transfer case side). Dealer ordered replacement under warranty. Probably rare. This truck earns its keep off-road and I have the scratches to prove it. It also tows 7,000lbs. With all the research I’ve done it sounds like if you change your oil/filter regularly (I do 5k) and use quality stuff you should expect a long life. I haven’t heard of any known problems in general.

OP
OP
W

Winching

Reaction score
Anyone that has spent much time around the modern Hemi world knows it has inherent issues if not properly maintained. That is the key. Most people just change the oil every 10k miles or more with whatever oil the local shop puts in it, and drive the crap out of them. I have personally seen two 5.7L Hemi's blow up with only about 100k miles on them. It isn't a Toyota V8 or V6 engine so you cannot neglect them, or at least for a long time. I am a long time Toyota guy with trucks, land cruisers and 4Runners, and some went over 300k (why I brought it up). Those engines are bullet proof but gutless and exceedingly boring. The 6.4L with the 4:10 diffs is definitely not gutless and boring, haha. The truck flat gets it done and issues forth beautiful V8 sounds.

I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic that carries the specification for the 6.4 and change it about every 7,500 miles with the end goal of getting 250k out of this truck. The ZF HD transmission has been really great so far and with the massive axles and diffs, the truck is hell for stout.

All of that said, because I was shooting for maximum longevity like you, I special ordered my PW with a minimalist mind set starting with a base model Tradesman, added the 8.4, marker lights, trailer brake control, all vinyl seats and flooring, and the PW package. That is all, no stupid parking warnings blaring and such, and it keeps the truck about as simple as it can be. Some will argue that this isn't needed and the fancy tech on the full PW does not hinder its reliability, but ever had to foot the bill on an older vehicle with gobs of tech when the gremlins come out (and they will)?

An example are Wranglers. I have had a Wranglers for many years and still do. I always buy them new, maintain them properly with full synthetics, and special order them as the most base model you can get (manual windows and all), and they are incredibly reliable. I watch folks in the Jeep club fighting electrical issue all the time I never have, due to the extra tech and gadgets. I smile inwardly as my Wrangler plods along, year after year, problem free.

Flack jacket is properly fitted and ready, lol.
Great information, thank you for the write up!

mtu1293

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have approx 55k miles on my 2019 PW and have had no real issues. After adding my 37s and AEV Procal, I had some little electrical gremlins with SERV 4WD, and had to rhyme or reason to when it did it. This occurred for a few months, and now it hasn't come back up. Not even sure if the Procal was related to the issues, just had it occur only after that was added.

Also used er for towing a full loaded 16' enclosed trailers for approx 3k miles when we moved. Besides mpg, no issues at all there either, and that's even with stock gears and 37s

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Really nothing unique in regards to the engine, transmission, or really any other main aspects of the drivetrain or suspension with the PW.
The suspension is different then the regular 2500. The front and rear lockers are part of the axles and that too is part of the drivetrain. And 4.10 is the standard gear on a PW to support the stock 33s that come standard. I just mention this to keep the forum accurate. Especially the sub-forum “power wagon”

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm one of the unfortunate ones with the 12" uconnect screen. On my 4th replacement, this one seems to be performing fine. Other than that, no issues at 15k miles.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm one of the unfortunate ones with the 12" uconnect screen. On my 4th replacement, this one seems to be performing fine. Other than that, no issues at 15k miles.
Geesh. What happened to your screen?

grimmecm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Feeling luckier every day. 14k miles with no screen issues. Unless i just jinxed myself....

Andrew Austin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
I bought a brand new left over 2020 for $10,000 below sticker price 10 months ago. I have put 8000km on it already, 6000 km was me pulling my 7000 lb travel trailer last summer all over western Canada. I am thoroughly impressed with my PW. Drives and tows great. Went through several muddy situations during hunting season and never came close to getting stuck. Been pulling my snowmobile trailer through 6 inches of snow the past few months and still no troubles - and that is with the stock Duratrac tires. I do wish the gas mileage was a little better, but otherwise I have zero complaints. Plus, it just looks great!

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Lots of good info here, but it comes down to the same thing for any vehicle - it will treat you as good as you treat it.

I bought my 2017 new in January of 2018. It has had 5k oil changes religously with Mobil 1 (I have had nothing but trouble with most Pennzoil products), and I have had zero issues with it that weren't solved with either a programming update or part replacement.

The issue I had that was solved with a programming update involved hitting Resume on the cruise while accelerating ABOVE the set point - it would keep accelerating then error out the cruise. It went in for a programming update and the problem went away.

The issues I've had with part replacement had to do with the back-up sensors and the TPMS. A battery died in one of my TPMS sensors - not really anyone's fault. Living in the northern part of the US, we get snow and ice, and fight it with salt. I had two back-up sensors freeze and crack that needed to be replaced.

That's been it. Honestly it's been the most trouble-free vehicle I've ever bought. And with the Lifetime Maxxcare, I can't really justify getting rid of it either...so I'll live with the 6 speed.

Whiskey13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2019 with 21000, no issues so far. I have seen one post with a 6.4 with under 10K having a broken valve spring but that was not in a P/W. I tow a 28 foot TT and like said above with the exception of MPG no issues.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's been it. Honestly it's been the most trouble-free vehicle I've ever bought. And with the Lifetime Maxxcare, I can't really justify getting rid of it either...so I'll live with the 6 speed.
^^^^This to a T!!!

SUCKS!!!!! Lol

Airmousam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
One issue in 17k miles on my 21 75A. 12" screen locked up once...other than that flawless..great truck!

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
my '21 has a little over 11k kilometers.other than a couple bad sensors,a thermostat and an exploded winch that failed first time out it's been flawless,lol.