Power Wagon???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on how you buy that diesel, I bought my 07 bighorn with everything but leather, sunroof and upgraded stereo for $31,400, list price was $53K

I added a Carli backcountry system, track bar, end links etc cost about 3k tires wheels were around 2k. rear locker was $800, front bumper I never bought but was looking at was $1100. all the power adders and such to my motor were about 5k etc etc all in all I was into my truck for less than 45k when you add in all the tool boxes, headache rack, lights gauges, etc etc and Im willing to bet that my truck was as or more capable as a off the shelf PW and was around the same cost as buying one new, (that they wouldn't come down on the price. I know cause Ive tried.)

So cost wise they Can be similar comparison. its all in how you buy things and look at them.

But either way I'm willing to bet that if Ram produced a CTD version f the Power Wagon it would sell alot more than the hemi version.
And diesel around me is at $2.56 vs 87oct at $2.89

To add, not all need a diesel, a Hemi is more than adequate for for most. For me I needed a Diesel for the farm but also wanted a smooth riding, performing, good off road vehicle. and for me the PW fell short on the towing and hauling side. for most it probably doesn't. but you can build a diesel version of a power wagon if you purchase a the diesel right. and for someone who can afford and willing to afford expensive Carli products generally can afford to build up a truck to suit

Last edited:

oz97tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The sticker price of the truck is sort of irrelevant. Assuming similar options, the diesel is around 5k more. Usually a dealer will give a little more on a normal truck with a diesel but vs the specialty vehicle PW but it's not much. Also, you didn't add front locker or a winch so you aren't being fair. As for bumpers, I've looked and they are all well over 2k except for crappy ones.

Like I said, I just spent lots of time looking into this. I'm a jeep guy and have built lots and frankly Iwould rather build one but no matter what i did, I would have been. A minimum 10 to 12 k more once I added all the crap to make my own PW.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The sticker price of the truck is sort of irrelevant. .

Sticker price has everything to do with it. IF you can get 20k off the sticker price like I did and a PW has a sticker price of 55K (which the onces Ive looked do) and they will not budge on that price making a reg diesel price lets just say -15K so 40k and a PW still 55k then you have 15k worth of budget to build whatever if your budget was 55k. its all what your budget is set to and the sticker price or more the negotiated price of the vehicle. and since most dealers wont budge on specialty vehicle prices a basic model lends itself well for a build like this.
I too have bought and built many rigs from diesel to offroad and the formula is the same for all new or used.

oz97tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Sticker price has everything to do with it. IF you can get 20k off the sticker price like I did and a PW has a sticker price of 55K (which the onces Ive looked do) and they will not budge on that price making a reg diesel price lets just say -15K so 40k and a PW still 55k then you have 15k worth of budget to build whatever if your budget was 55k. its all what your budget is set to and the sticker price or more the negotiated price of the vehicle. and since most dealers wont budge on specialty vehicle prices a basic model lends itself well for a build like this.
I too have bought and built many rigs from diesel to offroad and the formula is the same for all new or used.

Well that's not exactly being fair. I just bought a 15 PW with a sticker of $56k for $44k out the door. I priced diesels of similar spec with stickers of $60 to $62k and I c was being quoted Icould be out the door for around $50 ish. I can't say how much farther I could have gone if iI pushed buy it wouldn't have been enough to eat that gap.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well with that purchase price it would be hard to justify the numbers depending on what the budget it. I'm still a fan of a CTD PW and would expect it to have a higher cost if produced factory just cause it covers more bases than just a HEMI PW... just all what you can get it for. Around my area dealers are asking about 60k for every bell and whistle on a Longhorn package and about 53-55k for the mid range big horn. And they also deal (have for me in the past but thats cause I've bought alot of trucks from them)

Don't get me wrong the PW is a damn great truck but as I spec one out to build its more in my area than a similarly equipped diesel. I'd rather build my own.. but then there is also this Million dollar ride from AEV

American Expedition Vehicles - Prospector

oz97tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I live close to AEV. I've wheeled with many of their guys with jeeps. Good guys with great stuff. I've also spent a fair amount of time drooling over their Ram's. They are badass. I'd like to add some of their stuff to mine.

As for diesel vs gas, there are obvious pros and cons. I think a diesel would be cool but for its designated design principles it would also be a waste. A PW can only tow around 12k and has a payload under 1500 lbs. I also think that weight would negatively affect it. Building your own would be cool, but those same negatives still apply vs gas.

For an expedition type rig or something that needs to tow a bunch while being a weekend toy I could see it. For me, my commute is under 15 miles. I rarely pull over 10k. Family doesn't fit in a Jeep anymore and I don't have time to build a new trail rig so this fits the bill. It's a nice DD and does pretty well offroad assuming it'll fit. It's also built much more robust so doesn't really need upgrades. I purchased a Rubicon JK years ago. The lockers on it suck. The front axle is weak. And it suffers from all the same issues a non Rubicons does. I ended up buying a standard JK Unlimited next and swapped out the axles axles and such. I was farther ahead that way.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For an expedition type rig or something that needs to tow a bunch while being a weekend toy I could see it. For me, my commute is under 15 miles. I rarely pull over 10k. Family doesn't fit in a Jeep anymore and I don't have time to build a new trail rig so this fits the bill. It's a nice DD and does pretty well offroad assuming it'll fit. It's also built much more robust so doesn't really need upgrades. I purchased a Rubicon JK years ago. The lockers on it suck. The front axle is weak. And it suffers from all the same issues a non Rubicons does. I ended up buying a standard JK Unlimited next and swapped out the axles axles and such. I was farther ahead that way.

#1 item right there in buying a vehicle.... needs to fit your needs and really we can all suggest this or that only the buyer really knows what fits him/her 100%

With that said I still want both :roflsquared: well more, I'd also like a full dominator Carli set up on a ram