Power wire with power only when lights are on?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Detroitfd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 diesel
Power wire with power only when lights are on? (Led cup holder lights)

Hey guys,

Going to pick up a couple led lights to use as upholder lights, and was wondering if there's a wire near that area that's only powered when parking lights are on?

If not, I know I can use the cigar lighter wires, butt hey don't really need to be lit during the day

Thanks!

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I had tapped mine off of the illumination for the HVAC unit. I cant remember the wire color but if you have a multimeter or test light youll be able to find it

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Another source is the wire that is set to dim the stereo when you turn your lights on. It is powered only when you turn on the parking lights.

OP
OP
Detroitfd

Detroitfd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 diesel
I ended up using the power wire at the headlight switch since it was already tapped for gauges which made it obvious. I grounded it at the cigar lighter. I used 1 of a 2 pack of 8" long green led strips from Autozone. The were very thin, so it fit perfectly under the lower lip of the dash bezel, just above the upholders.

I'll post a pic later when it's dark, but looks great. :). Thanks all!

OP
OP
Detroitfd

Detroitfd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9 diesel
Well I took a pic, but it doesn't show the brightness well at all. It's just about perfect : it illuminates the cup holders but doesn't grab attention.

I take it thinly way to post a pic here is to host it on the web somewhere first?

An any rate, those 8" Autozone led strips work perfectly for this application.