Powering LED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got some 3ft flexible LED lights for the interior. I want to power them ON when the door opens. Can Any of you Electronic experts advise me how this might be accomplished. I was told you cannot tie into the footwell little lights as the computer will throw a hissy..any other ideas?..Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I doubt there would be an issue with trying to wire them to the footwell lights. I know some people had issues if the wrong LEDs were used in the map and cabin lights, but I have all LEDs running in mine.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
The footwell lights shouldn't be canbus you can tap Them Without issues. I put purple ccfl tubes in my x gf's truck and tapped into those and she never has any issues.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK thanks guys...reason I ask is one local mechanical shop said it cannot be done as it will screw up the computer? I know nothing of this stuff so his words made me back off until i thought of all te LED companies offering LED strip lights...thanks for the info

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So further, just tap into the power wire and ground the black somewhere..YES?? Then they should work in harmony with the little footwell lights that come on/off with the door opening.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So further, just tap into the power wire and ground the black somewhere..YES?? Then they should work in harmony with the little footwell lights that come on/off with the door opening.
Correct. If I'm not mistaken you can tap the ground to the footwell light too.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So further, just tap into the power wire and ground the black somewhere..YES??
That's what usually gets people in trouble with CANbus monitored lights.
Just wire your LED strips in parallel to the footwell lights(red to positive, black to negative).