pre amp voltage, xm radio, usb questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
So I'm looking at getting a new radio for the truck. Probably a nice single DIN. What pre amp voltage would be needed? I have a mono Alpine amp and may add another amp for dash/door speakers later on. Would the factory Sirius/XM antenna still work? And if it had a usb would that charge a phone? or would it just be for a flash drive

tokenindian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm looking at getting a new radio for the truck. Probably a nice single DIN. What pre amp voltage would be needed? I have a mono Alpine amp and may add another amp for dash/door speakers later on. Would the factory Sirius/XM antenna still work? And if it had a usb would that charge a phone? or would it just be for a flash drive

Higher the better, so you won't have to set gains as high on your amp(s). Most new radios these days are between 4-5V. The older eclipse radios were 8v...haven't seen anything that high lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And PreAmp voltage out will work.
The higher (best my understanding) the better the signal.

I have a single din, and next Friday my double din will be in. It's really quite far away and the display on a single din kind of sucks (small)

The USB charging depends on the deck, but typically the answer is Yes.

as for the Sat radio antenna, you have to modify it to fit an aftermarket box, but you just cut off the 'housing':

and I put a piece of shrink wrap over it, and it plugged right in to the SiriusXM box.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
If you are in the market for a single din...it's nearly impossible to beat the Pioneer 80PRS.
For it's price point, it's loaded...I believe 5-6v pre-outs, and it will charge a phone cause I own one.
Lots of dsp capabilities as well