Pre-winter Maintenance - What's On Your List?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I seem to do a bunch of maintenance heading into winter? Just curious what different guys do? Guys in Canada or the North, probably are doing different things than owners in the South or Southwest.

Items I finished on my DD's ...a few I still need to finish before snow flies:
- Oil & filter change. Inspect Air filter
- Check fluid levels & correct if needed
- Inspect underside for leaks, looseness, etc
- Inspect/clean throttle bore/plate
- Tire rotation & inspection
- Inspect belt & pulleys
- Inspect air filter
- Vacuum carpets
- Clean items and toss things as needed
- Clean sunroof gaskets, surround & ensure drains are clear
- Inspect spark plugs (I haven't done this in a few yrs)
- Clean/vacuum dried leaves out of lower fenders.
- Drizzle oil in the door bottoms/tailgate, etc
- Leather condition seats
- Inspect brakes
- On one vehicle I brushed fluid film oil on the backside of the aluminum wheels to help protect from road salt

Luckily I didn't need to replace much this fall. Pretty easy.

What am I missing ...what do you guys do?

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
As the cold weather slowly reduces my tire PSI, I don't refill them. I let that be my "air down" for the winter and add a bit in the spring.

Otherwise, normal maintenance as needed and hope for the best.

ThorsRams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 5.7l v8
Pretty much you nailed it… I also toss about 300-400lbs of sand in the bed for lil better traction in the winter

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
On the truck, all I do is a good wash and then ceramic coating on the exterior. Oil change/air filter, and tire rotation are done in mid to late summer so I wouldn't include that. The bulk of what you listed gets done in the spring.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Heck that's more than I do.

I have moved to using a battery maintainer all year since retiring and the pandemic, since these new vehicles have so much electronic parasitic amperage drains.

I use synthetic oil in all powertrain boxes, so only change engine oil to 0W-30 from summer 5W-30.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Looking at your list JW, the first thing I thought about relates to the sunroof.
Both vehicles get cleaned and drains checked, but I also go over the gaskets/seals for all door and trunks.
I don't know any better so I just spray some silicone lube on a cloth shop towel an wipe. Never seemed to make a difference until that one year I *didn't* do it.
Our winters here in south central Pennsylvania, temps can go from low 60sF to sub-zero. Sometimes in the same week!

If anyone else is doing this, what do you use, or what should I be using? So far I've had no issues with silicone spray or WD40, but I know not all rubber should be exposed to any and all chemicals.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i check my antifreeze,dig up my scraper/snow brush,swap to winter washer fluid and swap to my oem duracrap tires.if i'm almost due for an oil change (i am) i book that.my oil changes are included in my extended warranty. that's pretty much it for me.i've been prepping all my stuff since late september. mowers, snowblower, boats,atv,side by side,travel trailer.then it's on to furnace,gas fireplace,water filters,flush the hot water on demand,pull the docks.i have a bench with at least a dozen batteries all on trickle charge.it's exhausting.

Last edited:

skates15

Reaction score
Had exterior ceramic coated and the under carriage treated, along with doors, hood and tailgate. Looking to get amber led fog lights.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I definitely check all the fluids and inspect for any leaks, and top off or replaceas needed.
Plus, monthly I check all lights to be sure none are out and lenses for cracks or breakage. Tires are checked for tread wear and or hidden damage. And, I also go through what tools that are carried in my truck and update or replace as needed.
Plus, the one big thing that needs to done before winter is to use a light silicon on all the weather seals around the doors, both inner and outer as this will hopefully help keep your doors from freezing shut

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Check brakes and lube up slide pins etc. Work the ebrake a few times because I always forget to use it. Get in the grass and put er in 4WD make sure everything works. Order a bunch of woolwax and go nuts.
All of these things I still need to do.

ADWarlock20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Changed:
Engine oil and filter
Transmission and transfer case fluid
Front and rear diff fluid
Pads and rotors front and rear
Engine and cabin air filters

Other:
Put my winter wheels/snow tires on
undercoating at the local rust check
Final wash and wax
Vacuum inside
Throw essentials in (tow strap, water, food, spare clothes, ice scraper, air pump for tires)

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Changed:
Engine oil and filter
Transmission and transfer case fluid
Front and rear diff fluid
Pads and rotors front and rear
Engine and cabin air filters

Other:
Put my winter wheels/snow tires on
undercoating at the local rust check
Final wash and wax
Vacuum inside
Throw essentials in (tow strap, water, food, spare clothes, ice scraper, air pump for tires)

Holy moly... what did you do *after* lunch? :oops::cool:

Lockie5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi etorque
Well up here in Canada- I change my Crocs to my fur lined Crocs, and switch on the 4WD. Throw a shovel in the back, maybe a tow strap or chain, and if I’m travlin I have some non perishable food and water, a good lighter, some paper and firewood in back box in case of storm stranding. Extra winter wear in a duffle bag. And a good pair o boots. Just kidding about the Crocs.
See you in the spring!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't believe nobody mentioned switching to winter blend blinker fluid. But in reality, I use napa silglide on all my rubber bits, including bushings and door seals. It's got the consistency of petroleum jelly, and can help worn seals get a good seal.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 hemi
I seem to do a bunch of maintenance heading into winter? Just curious what different guys do? Guys in Canada or the North, probably are doing different things than owners in the South or Southwest.

Items I finished on my DD's ...a few I still need to finish before snow flies:
- Oil & filter change. Inspect Air filter
- Check fluid levels & correct if needed
- Inspect underside for leaks, looseness, etc
- Inspect/clean throttle bore/plate
- Tire rotation & inspection
- Inspect belt & pulleys
- Inspect air filter
- Vacuum carpets
- Clean items and toss things as needed
- Clean sunroof gaskets, surround & ensure drains are clear
- Inspect spark plugs (I haven't done this in a few yrs)
- Clean/vacuum dried leaves out of lower fenders.
- Drizzle oil in the door bottoms/tailgate, etc
- Leather condition seats
- Inspect brakes
- On one vehicle I brushed fluid film oil on the backside of the aluminum wheels to help protect from road salt

Luckily I didn't need to replace much this fall. Pretty easy.

What am I missing ...what do you guys do?
generally in the fall and spring I change my tires over winter- summer service my brakes and inspect them and rotors. oil change if it is due, air filter change inspect battery and the serpentine belt , and all lights