Premium vs regular gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

airrecon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.4
Engine Masters did a dyno test of different grades of gas to show it didn't amount to much at all and not worth the cost of premium in normally aspirated engines. It made more HP and torque on E85 than on 116 Octane racing fuel. LS3 6.2L crate motor, 10.7:1 compression. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryqyTPfNj1Q
I get all the major car magazines and their results are the same as you list. On real road driving and Dyno

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
many years ago people thought i was crazy when I had an f150 with 5.4 and i told them i got many more miles out of 93-94 octane than with 87. honestly I never tried just stepping up to 89 or 91 so for all i know that could have done the same and at the time i had a company gas card so it did not matter for the increase in cost but it was nowhere near the current prices or price difference between 87 and 94 so the difference in the cost to fill up was maybe a couple dollars now that difference is like $20 +

now with the Hemi ive bought higher octane when gasoline was around $1.70/gal but ive been buying 87 99% of the time since I bought this truck. I wonder how much of a difference is noticible in real world driving between 87 and 89.

interesting topic.. but theres not a shot in h*ll i would be paying for premium in this economic environment...

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2022 Ram pickup with 5.7 L std V8. I started with premium gas - 93 octane as I thought in the long run it would be better for the engine. Manual says regular gas 87 octane is ok.

Now I'm at 6.00 per gallon, the 33 gallon tank is $200.00.

Does anyone know how it impacts the engine to switch back to regular? What are the negatives?
93 is actually NOT good for the motor, never was, gets worse mileage, runs not as well as either 89 or 87. Have three RAMS with 5.7, all of them get Top Ter 87 gas and they are great. Meet or beat EPA mileage estimates all the time, change oil every 5K with good Mobile on oil, and have between 42K and 128K over the three and not a problem with any of them.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd be curious to see data logs for your fuel trim and timing, seems "fairly often" is too often. Knock sensors should be preventing pre-ignition. Are you loaded heavy all the time?
many years ago people thought i was crazy when I had an f150 with 5.4 and i told them i got many more miles out of 93-94 octane than with 87. honestly I never tried just stepping up to 89 or 91 so for all i know that could have done the same and at the time i had a company gas card so it did not matter for the increase in cost but it was nowhere near the current prices or price difference between 87 and 94 so the difference in the cost to fill up was maybe a couple dollars now that difference is like $20 +

now with the Hemi ive bought higher octane when gasoline was around $1.70/gal but ive been buying 87 99% of the time since I bought this truck. I wonder how much of a difference is noticible in real world driving between 87 and 89.

interesting topic.. but theres not a shot in h*ll i would be paying for premium in this economic environment...
will get best mileage with 87 but a mile and a half or so as compared to the 89. actually my RAMS all do better with 87 than 89. Quit even tgrying 89 a year or so ago, 87 only.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 21 5.7 runs like crap on 87. Knocks fairly often.
qwhere do you live - at 12K feet or something? these motors do just fine with 87, you got knocking then you got some p[roblem, bet then 89 knocks also, unless of course you are towing all the tgime.

Davieboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run a 2020 6.7 diesel but the wife’s got a Lexus LS400 sedan that that Lexus recommends Premium gas to be run. WeI do run 87 octane in the sedan but only purchase from ‘Top Tier’ sellers. This at least guarantees you’ll be getting the additives top tier requires. If you hear knocking, find another top tier station until you find the best gas locally.

jimmyfjk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
my 2021 1500 5.7L 8speed runs the same on 87 or 89. I see a slight difference in power on 91 or better but at the cost who the hell cares. I run 87

Alweeja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I only use premium on my 67 Vette w/extremely modified high compression engine. My hemi runs great on 87. The truck is built to.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I have a 2022 Ram pickup with 5.7 L std V8. I started with premium gas - 93 octane as I thought in the long run it would be better for the engine. Manual says regular gas 87 octane is ok.

Now I'm at 6.00 per gallon, the 33 gallon tank is $200.00.

Does anyone know how it impacts the engine to switch back to regular? What are the negatives?
I have used 87 gas for 107,000 miles and its does not ping and has great power. I tried one tank of 93 and it made no noticeable difference.

duc1100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My manual says 89 is recommended for mine. I have a tuner for 87 octane and that's what I've been running for some time now and I'm very happy with it. I can't make up the difference in MPG to make it work cost wise for higher octane for me. Whatever you decide I'm afraid we're in this ridiculous price gouging in fuel for the long haul. "I" feel the higher ups is in their way trying to force us into EV's their way! I hope I'm still allowed to have an opinion in our "free" country! I'm a fighter, they have a long way to go to break me!
The “higher ups” consists of the petroleum industry and the internal combustion based automotive industry. It’d sure be nice if people used some of that freedom to think before posting nonsense.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My truck seldom moves without the 8800# trailer and truck loaded with another 1500#. I have tried all 3 grades over 85000 miles and no difference in performance or mpg. I'll stick with 85/87.

duc1100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well thank you for being one of the "higher ups" that obviously knows every thing and everybody's thoughts. You have your opinion and I'll have mine, try to remember it is an opinion and you or no one else will take that from me.
So your opinion is the EV industry has more influence than the petroleum and internal combustion auto industries and me calling you out on that makes me part of the EV industry. I’m definitely interested in the reasoning behind your opinion.

DA Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Premium fuel in a stock 5.7 is nothing but a waste of money, it adds no extra horse power or torque. My 2019 fifth gen 1500 Laramie with 5.7, 392 gears and 4x4 calls for 89 octain or 87 octain. I've been using 89 until recently when I switched to 87 since fuel prices have gone crazy. I just returned from a 1200 mile trip pulling my 18 foot car hauler with a 5200 pound vehicle loaded on it and averaged 11.5 mpg with cruse control set on 68 mph. I have pulled this same trailer and vehicle on other occasions when I was using 89 octain fuel and there was no difference in fuel mileage. I don't think I will go back to 89 octain because the truck preformed great on 87 I see no reason to waste money. Every 10-k miles I run a can of seafoam fuel conditioner and cleaner in the tank, don't know if it is worth the trouble but I don't believe it hurts, I now have over 48-k on the truck with no issues of any kind since it was purchased, the oil is changed every 5-k .

duc1100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm allowed to have an opinion as do you. I'm not in school so not interested in your debate. All you have to do when you don't agree or like what someone says or feels is ignore and turn the page. I don't let your thoughts effect me, thanks.
Actually I seldom reply but playing the victim card about fuel costs then claiming it’s a conspiracy to force EV sales is such an absurd claim I wanted to poke the hive to see if there is something worthy of consideration.