Prepping for future rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhead769

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys! New to the site. 2015 1500 Laramie 5.7. Truck is running like a gem and as should. I just know I’ll be keeping this truck for the long haul. And if and when something gives out (lifters & cam, crank/cam bearings, rings etc) I’ll pull the engine and do a full rebuild. Any recommendations on a cam kit? Not in to using stock springs, lifters or even rockers for that matter when building an engine. Even if the rocker ratio factory fits the bill for the new cam it’s worth the upgrade. Not looking for major hp just a little more lobe separation & duration for some chop. Probably mds delete. And does anyone recommend any rings or bearings? I looked on wiseco’s page for rings and piston kits but I believe the rod has to be changed as well to accommodate the different wrist pin. Just kicking some ideas around for what is hopefully WAY down the road. Also entertaining the thought of a high volume oil pump to cut down on the lube issues they develop at idle/startup in hopes to avoid the lifter failure. Thanks in advance. And if this is in another thread I apologize. Still learning the ropes.

Last edited:

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Hey guys! New to the site. 2015 1500 Laramie 5.7. Truck is running like a gem and as should. I just know I’ll be keeping this truck for the long haul. And if and when something gives out (lifters & cam, crank/cam bearings, rings etc) I’ll pull the engine and do a full rebuild. Any recommendations on a cam kit? Not in to using stock springs, lifters or even rockers for that matter when building an engine. Even if the rocker ratio factory fits the bill for the new cam it’s worth the upgrade. Not looking for major hp just a little more lobe separation & duration for some chop. Probably mds delete. And does anyone recommend any rings or bearings? I looked on wiseco’s page for rings and piston kits but I believe the rod has to be changed as well to accommodate the different wrist pin. Just kicking some ideas around for what is hopefully WAY down the road. Also entertaining the thought of a high volume oil pump to cut down on the lube issues they develop at idle/startup in hopes to avoid the lifter failure. Thanks in advance. And if this is in another thread I apologize. Still learning the ropes.

Google Jay Greene for cams. He has a Facebook page with his offerings that can be viewed with or without an account.

Rocker arms or the rails for that matter almost seem like taboo. You would think with as many hemi engines out there, that there would be more offerings. Many rocker arm offerings are either A. astronically priced or B. Forever out of stock.

Stanke Motorsports makes rocker arm bracing for the heads. Looks pretty sweet too just not sure how much farther they would put you in the failure zone of the valvetrain

Screenshot_20210215-043132_eBay.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Buy yourself a brand new or factory reman SRT non-mds 6.4 (manual transmission Challenger) ,you'll be farther ahead then messing around with the little 5.7.You'll be spending about the same amount of money ,then sell your original 5.7.

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Buy yourself a brand new or factory reman SRT non-mds 6.4 (manual transmission Challenger) ,you'll be farther ahead then messing around with the little 5.7.You'll be spending about the same amount of money ,then sell your original 5.7.
Rick, What’s that worth in Canuck?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I haven't priced a new one out in a couple years,but when i did price a brand new 6.4 out,my price on one was just over 7G Canuck,but i think they've gone up a fair bit since then,as that was about 3 years ago.Give me a few minutes and i'll phone my local parts department and see how much they've gone up since then

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Hokay this is what i can get one for through my local parts department.
A brand new 6.4 spec'd for a 2018 6 speed Challenger is $7930.00 with a $750.00 core fee.
They don't have one in Red Deer's warehouse,so it has to come out of Warren,which puts it about 5 or 6 business days out from Alberta.
My local dealer treats me pretty good,but i'd hazard a guess you should be able to find them for right around $8,000 Canuck at other dealers to.
Comes with a 3 year warrenty if installed by a dealer or an accredited private shop.
Tough to build a 5.7 to 485 hp /470 lb-ft for that price and have warrenty

6speed4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hokay this is what i can get one for through my local parts department.
A brand new 6.4 spec'd for a 2018 6 speed Challenger is $7930.00 with a $750.00 core fee.
They don't have one in Red Deer's warehouse,so it has to come out of Warren,which puts it about 5 or 6 business days out from Alberta.
My local dealer treats me pretty good,but i'd hazard a guess you should be able to find them for right around $8,000 Canuck at other dealers to.
Comes with a 3 year warrenty if installed by a dealer or an accredited private shop.
Tough to build a 5.7 to 485 hp /470 lb-ft for that price and have warrenty
Thanks Rick, considering how fast things can add up to do a 5.7, that’s really not too bad, considering the result is sort of pre-determined

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks Rick, considering how fast things can add up to do a 5.7, that’s really not too bad, considering the result is sort of pre-determined

I'd eat the 750 core charge ,as you could probably sell your 5.7 for more then that,and come out even farther ahead,lol.
You're not going to build a 5.7 to 485hp/470 lb-ft in Canada for that price,and have a 3 year year warrenty,lol
That's a brand new 6.4 SRT motor to,not a reman,according to my local guy,he says his parts books don't show a reman 6.4 SRT,only a reman 6.4 truck engine.I didn't price out a reman 6.4 truck engine though,but i'd guess it'd be somewhat cheaper