Problems with 1999 dodge 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snakelongmont

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 v8
Hey guys I'm looking into buying a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 it's got 124,000 miles on it with a 5.9L V8
Has anyone experienced any majors issues with this vehicle? How is the gas mileage? I would appreciate any feedback

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 98 (similar) 2WD gets 14/12 MPG but that seems higher than most. Search Dodge Ram 1500 Plenum Repair. Common. The auto tranny isn't their best effort either IMO.

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Plenum, transmission, and ****** fuel mileage are all issues.
Before purchasing though make sure the motor can pass a compression test and ask if the transmission has been replaced. If it has not been, it will probably need to be soon, depending on how it was driven.
Fuel mileage on these trucks really are not great. You can have the best, most well kept 5.9 magnum in the world and the most you will see is 15mpg on the highway if you're lucky. These trucks are torque monsters not Priuses so don't get your hopes high for fuel mileage.

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 2500 5-speed, soon to be leveled on 33's
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Plenum, transmission, and ****** fuel mileage are all issues.
Before purchasing though make sure the motor can pass a compression test and ask if the transmission has been replaced. If it has not been, it will probably need to be soon, depending on how it was driven.
Fuel mileage on these trucks really are not great. You can have the best, most well kept 5.9 magnum in the world and the most you will see is 15mpg on the highway if you're lucky. These trucks are torque monsters not Priuses so don't get your hopes high for fuel mileage.
Everything he said. &If you're not mechanically inclined, I urge you to either take someone who knows what to look into when purchasing a vehicle or have a shop look it over top to bottom before buying. You never know how someone treated a vehicle until you really drive it and get it looked at.

DO NOT take their word for it if they say the tranny has been rebuilt recently unless they have paperwork.

feel free to look around the forums and you'll see that most anyone around here that posts regularly loves these trucks. best trucks you can buy for your money as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca