Programmers - Smarty Jr or H&S Performance XRT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wazzu11js

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I am running with a superchips flashpaq, however there are some things that it doesn't do that I would like to do and I am wondering if others are better.

After researching different options I think I've narrowed it down to the Smarty Jr or the H&S XRT.

I like all the miscellaneous little things that can be done with the XRT like killing the daytime running lights & removing the speed limiter. However, I see a lot of postive posts raving about the Smarty which makes me second guess the XRT a bit.

First off, I have all the emissions stuff on board still. We have sniffers around where I live frequently and I'm a bit paranoid about stripping that stuff off here in CO and getting hit with a big fine. If someone in the greater Denver area has some first hand experience to weigh in with on DPF & EGR deletes then please let me know.

What I want to find is a programmer that will take care of the above mentioned annoyance factors as well as provide increased "pop" when I get on it. Lastly, I don't really want to add a bunch of gauges and make it so that I've got to constantly be scanning temp gauges and things like that, because I'd like to run this truck as high as it will go mileage wise and I'm hoping that would be at least 300k and hopefully 500k, so I don't want to cause engine damage.

Side note on programming is whether it is difficult to program the transmission options and is there a lot to be gained by doing so? Again, I don't want to mess anything up.

If you have experience with either or both of these programmers, please let me know your thoughts on it. If I'm missing the boat because there is a better one that I didn't list, then please let me know that as well. Especially someone with an 08' 6.7L that has run them. Also, if anyone has had issues with the DPF filling up and not kicking into regen mode then please let me know. I'm having some issues with that and am not sure if it is being caused by the superchips programmer or not.

Thank you in advance!

ArmRippinToys

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 1989
Engine
I've owned and built 2 6.7 cummins and I personally would go with the H&S. The smarty is the way to go for the 5.9's but with the 6.7 I think H&S is a better option. The are easy to use and have amazing customer service and their product works very well

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
A lot of people use the Diablo tuners and swear by them. Not sure what they offer for the diesel guys but check them out.

OP
OP
Wazzu11js

Wazzu11js

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Thanks to all for their input. I kind of liked some of the flexibility to modify things like the daytime running lights and such that H&S offers, so I was kind of leaning that way but wanted to get more input here.

I posted at another site as well and am getting some feedback suggesting that I look at EFI Live as well. Has anyone here had any experience or have an opinion on EFI Live?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I don't like EFI live purely cause their customer service sucks
Now that H&S has MCC custom tuning I would go with them over EFI live

OP
OP
Wazzu11js

Wazzu11js

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Thank you, I'm leaning that way and if EFI Live has shoddy customer service then I think I will spare myself the aggravation. I appreciate the feedback!