Protecting from door dings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eightd21

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
NA
I do as others have said and park way out away from others, as far as possible. Even then there's no guarantee. A stray cart blown by the wind can smash into your truck and leave a dent or scratch. Happened to my mustang a couple times when I had it.

MMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Parking away from everyone else doesn't help, because people are @$$holes.
My truck cqame with air suspension, which I didn't want.
However, what I do is as I am pulling into a spot, I raise the truck as high as it will go.
I added factory wheel to wheel step bars.
So what happens when someone opens the door into my truck?
It usually hits the step bars and does nothing to my truck, but hurts their door.
Now, if they have a truck, it's not going to help.

When I had my car, I pulled into Stalpes just before closing and parked my car in a diff isle away from everyone.
When I got out, I saw a truck parked next to me.
The whole friggin lot was empty.
Turned out that this fat B**** was so fat, she needed to lean per truck door against my car so she could climb down.
And that my friends, is an @SShole.

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie Sport 4WD
Engine
Just parking way in the back whenever I do go to the store has done wonders for me that and I’m sure the cquartz would help too. I’m just not a lazy person so I let all the fatty fight over those up front close parking spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Some folks who are elder had life events occur causing extreme pain and needing up close fatty spots! NOT LAZY! Weight gain can come from inability to stay active from disability that cannot be corrected with Surgeries! Hope like hell in your life it never happens to you! So I'm a fatty needing up front as close as I can get watching "Fit" folks try and ding my Rides who have zero respect for others and their possessions!

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I park at the back all the time yet some a hole always has to park next to you. I have side steps didn't help in this matter. Wind caught my door and barely tapped the mirror of the avenger parked next to me and big ding. Hate seeing it everytime I get in truck. Good luck

Had a women to park next to me when my Truck was a week old,she was being very careful not hit my door,the wind gusted just as she was opening her door hitting mine pretty hard. She was very apologetic etc. Just so happened her Sister owned a car lot and she sent me over to fix it about a week later or so. No Paint was scratched just a nice dent crease (Worst Kind) in my door. The guy used spoons,flat metal plates and mirrors removing the dent right out of my door! I asked him what he normally charges for others? 10 to 45 dollars for dents most of the the time. I tried to pay him but he refused saying it was covered by the woman who did it. I have used this guy for years now,he travels car lots on his days off to fix dents for a few dealers.

You find them VIA your car dealers who use them quite a bit. I have sent many to this individual who thought there would be no way! These guys are good. They can get some minor paint dings out but if its chipped or in to the primer or metal they can not correct. My daughter had a nasty one in her new Jeep a year ago....no paint ding and he took it out cost her 21 bucks.

I was told by our guy we use he knows some people who work for "Dent Wizards" full time as well. Hope this helps where you can get it fixed.

Last edited:

Ramit355

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Parking away from everyone else doesn't help, because people are @$$holes.
My truck cqame with air suspension, which I didn't want.
However, what I do is as I am pulling into a spot, I raise the truck as high as it will go.
I added factory wheel to wheel step bars.
So what happens when someone opens the door into my truck?
It usually hits the step bars and does nothing to my truck, but hurts their door.
Now, if they have a truck, it's not going to help.

When I had my car, I pulled into Stalpes just before closing and parked my car in a diff isle away from everyone.
When I got out, I saw a truck parked next to me.
The whole friggin lot was empty.
Turned out that this fat B**** was so fat, she needed to lean per truck door against my car so she could climb down.
And that my friends, is an @SShole.

Wonder if you seen any young fit skinny assholes parked in the handicapped?

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I'm curious as to what other members might have done in regards to any protection on the side of the trucks in regards to the fear of someone opening their door / pushing their grocery cart / my kids flinging the door open into something...

I know there are some crappy looking pieces of protection out there... but I'm curious to see if anyone has any decent recommendations...

There is only one method that I have found successful, and that isn't even 100% guaranteed. I park in the extreme fringes of parking lots and sometimes don't park at all if the lot is too crowded. I avoid restaurants with small or always crowded lots. There's a secondary benefit to this practice: It helps me to get exercise.

Best regards,
Dusty

2014 Ram Big Horn 1500 Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP70, 3.92 LSD, factory dual exhaust, 20” wheels. Now at: 076217 miles.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
So I'm curious as to what other members might have done in regards to any protection on the side of the trucks in regards to the fear of someone opening their door / pushing their grocery cart / my kids flinging the door open into something...

I know there are some crappy looking pieces of protection out there... but I'm curious to see if anyone has any decent recommendations...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 5-inch oval step bars that protrude about 2 inches beyond the tires. They help protect against sedan and small SUV and compact pickup dings, but don't help much against full-size pickups/SUV doors...so whenever possible I always try to park away from other vehicles. If I'm going somewhere I know the parking lot is tight, I take my wife's car! :D

wildkarde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm the guy who takes up two spots, parks on the corner where the tree pits are so my wheels are up on the curb.

Also, I bought the black rubber auto zone edging that goes on my doors. Prevents edge rust and if I accidently bump something I don't chip mine or theirs..

Aries Rising

Reaction score
Ram Year
199?
Engine
I have insurance. Why try to wrap your nice truck in a plastic bubble or some cheesy looking aftermarket protection products.

Because it's only original once. And car people (which include people like me, who used to do bodywork) can often see the failed paint blends, as may a discerning buyer, when they're looking for ways to pay you less than you want, when it comes time to sell.

Oh, wait? Do you lease? If so, never mind....

Last edited:

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have been lucky so far-but I too park as far away as possible-even in the dead of winter or pouring rain -- many times I will come out and find someone parked beside me but its usually another RAM of equal or greater value as my own-or a nice new Challenger. This I don't mind at all--it feels almost like a brotherhood as we are protecting a brother or sister with the same values and respect. Yes children and the elderly are the worst culprits-the children as they are often excited to get out and the elderly may not have the strength or agility to get out without fully opening the door or be able to hold it on a windy day. But some people just don't give a crap because they drive an old junker and don't care how much your truck cost you or the personal attachment you may have with it

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO----Some of those people that don't give a crap drive trucks just like ours----but you can tell by how their truck usually looks and how well they are taken care of.
Jay

jdavila99999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even parking far away fails sometimes. It doesnt matter how far you park, someone will ALWAYS park right next to you. When I had my Charger, I was at a grocery store, parked far away, sitting in my car on my phone. Out of no where a cart hits my rear door. I get out, no one around, just a lone cart that left three smaller dents in the door. Me not knowing what I know about business liability now, being in insurance, I just chalked it up as a loss. At the end of the day, its my daily driver, its going to get some bruises.

Sux

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n8schmitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you old enough to remember "Fingerhut" clear plastic seat covers???? Everyone used to use them to protect their cloth seats---LOL
Jay
Love it... I work for Fingerhut! Although we don't sell those seat covers anymore, they started the whole thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well it was a loooong time ago----LOL
Jay

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some folks who are elder had life events occur causing extreme pain and needing up close fatty spots! NOT LAZY! Weight gain can come from inability to stay active from disability that cannot be corrected with Surgeries! Hope like hell in your life it never happens to you! So I'm a fatty needing up front as close as I can get watching "Fit" folks try and ding my Rides who have zero respect for others and their possessions!
Yeah count me in to the fatty members club. Some**** happened to me during the last year causing me to gain about 75lbs. Not good!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Ram is 4 years old now, driven virtually every day, parked at a college and super market often. Not one door ding yet. I did add side steps and OEM chrome trim to the doors. Caught a woman opening her door into mine a couple weeks ago. The trim took the hit.