Pulling the valve cover - 2005 RAM 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Common Rail 24V Cummins TD
Okay, I need to know what I need to pull off of my '05 half ton 4.7 Liter in order to pull the valve cover and get to the lifters. I gotta replace the radiator as well so I figured it would be easiest to already have the old radiator removed and before putting the new back in to just go ahead and do the lifter repair I need. So, I've got that step already. I just need to know what else I have to pull in order to make my lifter repair easier. Any suggestions/recommendations?

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Disconnect the battery first. You have to remove your air intake or cai, disconnect the engine harness from the coil packs, injectors, alt, ac, coolant temp, map sensor, basically anything that's going to be in the way. Remove oil fill tube, 3 bolts holding the ps pump through the holes in the pulley. You don't have to disconnect the ps lines just pull the whole assembly out of your way, and after the harness is disconnected pull it out if the way along with the hoses for the heater core. The back bolts in the drivers side valve cover are a pain especially if you have an egr valve. I removed the 2 bottom rear bolts from under the truck. Just be very careful when removing the valve covers not to scratch the camshafts with the bolts in the valve covers. Also the tone wheel on the right sprocket is another item that can't be damaged. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
VictorBermea

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Holy cow. There's a lot more than I imagined. I've got the intake off and the radiator out as well. I was thinking to pull the ps pump. But since the harnesses are flimsy you think it's possible to pull the valve cover without removing wires?

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have to remove the harness. Believe me I just installed HO cams and 3 days after that I pulled them again bc I was worried if I torqued everything to specs or not.

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh and keep in mind they don't just pop right off, like an old school 350. You have to maneuver them very carefully to get them off without scratching your camshaft. The little red safety clips are easiest to remove with a very small flat tip screwdriver.

OP
OP
VictorBermea

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have any idea what the torque specs are to a 4.7 liter valve cover?

OP
OP
VictorBermea

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AImageUploadedByTapatalk1384640401.748517.jpg

Are you talking about these??

OP
OP
VictorBermea

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay so stick a small flat tip screw driver through the top and they pop off?

OP
OP
VictorBermea

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay gotcha. Any easy way to pull the rocker off?

OP
OP
VictorBermea

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Holy cow removing these harnesses is not freaking easy.

OP
OP
VictorBermea

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did that. Finally got it pulled. Four hours later. Haha. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384646080.816593.jpg

OP
OP
VictorBermea

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I noticed that too. It looks like it's been rubbed off. Like over time.

redram2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That may be bad. If you still have it apart see if you can feel any difference between it and the rest. If its not smooth I would replace it, a bad lash adjuster may have caused this. If you need another set I have my stock cams I may be willing to part with. Or you can buy new cams for a reasonable price.

OP
OP
VictorBermea

VictorBermea

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How much ya want for them? I didn't mess with it last night after pulling all the rocker arms off. I'm gonna mess with all that today after church. I'll keep ya posted on what they feel like.