Purchasing soon, Ram 1500 4x4 vs 2500 4x4 durability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chapman89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'll soon be the owner of a 3rd Gen Dodge Ram but I'm not 100% on which model would be best for me. I currently own an 06 Jeep Commander Limited w/ the Hemi and Quadra-drive 2 4x4 system w/ 60k miles. It has a mild lift and some 32 inch AT's.

I've loved this thing over the last 3 years I've owned it but my needs have changed since purchasing a home with a couple acres of wooded land. The amount of hauling building materials and landscaping requires a truck.

My only complaint with it has been the IFS and steering system. Since I've owned it I've replaced sway bar bushings/links twice, ball joints, and now my struts and steering rack are starting to fail. I haven't been too hard on it off road, just a couple trips to Uwharrie and regular back road trails. To me, it concerns me that Chrysler would use considerably weak parts on a vehicle that is "supposedly" trail rated, especially one with the heavy 5.7 engine and awesome 4x4 system.

My point is, should I be concerned about the durability of the IFS and other components found on the 1500 4x4 models? I intend to install a mild lift and probably 33's or possibly 35's within the future. I'd like to hit some moderately remote trails occasionally and have a little fun.

I've been super impressed with my brothers '00 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4. After installing a 4 inch lift and decent tires it's seen hell and back without any issues. I'd go for a second gen but I'm a huge fan of the wanna be Hemi.

I'm definitely getting a QC/SB regardless of chassis. Fuel economy is not much of a concern, I'm currently getting 13 mpg city - 17 mpg hwy. If money wasn't a concern I'd go straight for the 2500 without a doubt but they are a few thousand more than the 1500 with similar miles and options. The idea of a SFA and the heavy duty suspension components is reassuring especially with larger tires. It appears that the 2500 4x4's sit higher from the factory, I may even skip on a lift at that point.

I guess at this point I would like some input from members who know from personal experience what to expect. From what I'm seeing the IFS on the Rams is probably similar to my Jeep because of the amount of threads pertaining to ball joints, tie rods, control arm angles, etc. Maybe I'm just paranoid? haha

Thanks in advance, sorry about the rant.

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like a 2500 with a solid front axle would be best for your needs. Especially if you plan on larger tires and a small lift then a SFA would hold up better during off road use.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I would think you sway bar link problem was caused by your lift and not poor quality jeep parts
I think the weight of what you plan to haul is important.
From what you said a 1500 would do what you want

OP
OP
C

Chapman89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have mixed opinions about the lift causing problems, its a 2 inch spacer lift which I know is cheap and not "correct". My concerns come from the reviews I read from this forum and others.

How much stronger are the 2500 suspension components in comparison to the 1500? I'm sure there are stronger aftermarket parts available from companies like MOOG to replace worn out parts on the 1500's.

The materials I'll probably be hauling the most would be rock, dirt, yard waste, lumber, etc and occasionally towing a car trailer.

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the forum. :)

I can say from personal experience that leveling a 1500 does wear out the front end prematurely. I had my front end rebuilt after about 4 years of a 2.5 leveling kit. I was told the factory parts of these 1500 just don't hold up well to the stress.

suzukiquadrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 , 2004
Engine
cummins 5.9, 6.6 duramax
I would go with a 2500 HD is a pickup that will hold up and last.

DeputyDipShizz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will never buy a 1500 again...The front end doesn't hold up...just explained the other day to my wife why I want a 2500 myself. She understood and suprisingly agreed my next one would be a 2500...Now to talk her into a diesel :)

***Disregard any and all typos as my large thumbs cannot fit the keyboard correctly***

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I will say the ride on a 2500 is much rougher then the 1500 if that bothers you. Other than that, I say 2500 FTW!

archerr2002

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 2500 does ride a little rougher, but hey it is a truck. If I wanted a smooth ride I would have bought a car. 34" tires will fit under the fenders with no lift or level and make the truck look way better. I just did it to mine. The hemi has some great power too.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
No doubt I would go with a 2500 if I was in you. It's all around build for regular hauling/towing jobs like it sounds like you will be doing a lot of.

OP
OP
C

Chapman89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thank you for the input guys, I do appreciate it. It seems like a 2500 is better for me. Right now the amount of hauling I plan to do is a few times a month but I'm sure it'll see a lot more towing in the future after my dad moves closer to me. We'll have a car trailer towing a '70 Cuda or whatever other project comes our way. haha

westtnfx4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I'd go 2500 all the way!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
You can fit 35s under 2500s stock but they rub a little bit on the control arm due to the width of the tire.
Its kinda funny you mentioned the cuda, my dad has had 2500s before to haul his 70 challenger but went back to a 1500 because it was more truck then he needed

OP
OP
C

Chapman89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I wouldn't doubt that the 2500 is more truck than I "need". I think the most important factor is the SFA. It's probably not the greatest reason to buy a 2500 over a 1500. If it comes down to it I'm sure I could upgrade the IFS.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'm just not a fan of IFS in any truck application.. IFS for car applications of a truck chassis, fine... ie, road travel, etc... but truck applciations, offroading/towing/etc SFA is the right choice. I've owned a 2007 1500 and as nice as it rode... I feel my 3500 is a much more solid truck, and it could go through hell and back if required...

OP
OP
C

Chapman89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The sooner my Jeep sells the sooner I can buy a Ram. I'm sticking to my guns and searching for an 04-07 2500. It just hit me I could go the Cummings route! decisions, decisions!