Put some "valuable" Idle-Time on my truck today...LOL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Must be losing it. Went over to check on a property we keep an eye on for a guy. Left the truck running as I was intending to just pop in real quick and make sure everything was all good, no leaks, etc. Wife called (yep, blame it on the Mrs!), ...out of town for a work meeting. Just got to talking about a lot of things. Then I check upstairs, walk around. Go back down by the boiler. That's all good. Looking at all the piping for no reason. Check my emails. All good there. Start reading the news lol. Take a bio-break ..page through a couple magazines sitting there. Swept some dead bugs off the floor. About 50 min later decide maybe I ought to head home. Go outside....dang..forgot I left the truck running! :sad72: Not what I wanted to do. Was a nice toasty 90 degrees in there on the ride home!

Probably should shut it off next time, huh? :banghead:

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Relativity minor in the grand scheme of things.

Once idled for 9 hours straight stuck in a blizzard on the Minnesota/Iowa border. Stuck, could not move forward or backwards. About 35 cars in the same situation. Biggest John Deere tractor I've ever seen cleared the road. State had called out the local national guard unit to help stranded motorists.

Sold that Ram with 150k on the clock. Original cam and lifters. Guy that purchased it, still driving it today. Got over 200k now.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
In terms of idle time that is truly a nothing burger. By the time I turn over a truck it usually has almost as many idle hours on it as running hours. The ones that work the oil patch have 90 percent idle, 10 percent run time. I know trucks that ran 24 hours a day 365 days a year on mine sites, for 5 years and still purred like they were new. Idle time is FAR easier on a truck than running hours. Keep the oil changed and you get near zero wear from idling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357