Questions about adding Homelink

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Tradesman Regular Cab
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I purchased a new Homelink module and was wondering if there were any updates or programing needed once installed. If anyone knows please chime in!

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
It was P-N-P on my 15. I already had the overhead console so it was a simple swap. No programming required. Be careful of the little cup holder light. It was difficult to remove (don't unplug it)

Jkieffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Anyone know if the homelink module changed between years. Can you use the 2009 through 2012 in a 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I purchased a new Homelink module and was wondering if there were any updates or programing needed once installed. If anyone knows please chime in!

I swapped mine out. There is a YouTube video on how to program it. I don’t think there is any up dates, I think it is just a basic radio frequency control unit.

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for all the info, I feel at ease now knowing its just an install and go item. Programing the openers should be easy to do.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Anyone know if the homelink module changed between years. Can you use the 2009 through 2012 in a 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just updated mine last week - you need to stick with 13-18 for a 2017 - the 09-12 is slightly different.

It's a plug and play swap, as already mentioned. Keep in mind, if your current panel doesn't have the cutout (which is likely doesn't), you'll have to swap over the entire panel from the one you buy, not just the homelink module. It's very easy, just pops out of the frame, but make sure the replacement has at least the same controls as your current one. In my case, the one I bought also had a sunroof switch, which I don't have. It doesn't hurt anything, but you do want to be sure the "new" one has everything yours has at least, other than the homelink of course.

I have some details in my Build thread linked in sig, but pulling the console down takes a firm pull, so much in fact I was a bit worried the headliner would come down with it lol. Plus there's not a lot of slack in the wiring, so be careful pulling the plugs. Also as stated, the cupholder light is kind of a pain, be careful when pulling it as well.

EDIT - Oh also, you want to pay attention to LED vs incandescent bulbs when you buy, and make sure you get the same as what you currently have.

OP
OP
circuitguy

circuitguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I just updated mine last week - you need to stick with 13-18 for a 2017 - the 09-12 is slightly different.

It's a plug and play swap, as already mentioned. Keep in mind, if your current panel doesn't have the cutout (which is likely doesn't), you'll have to swap over the entire panel from the one you buy, not just the homelink module. It's very easy, just pops out of the frame, but make sure the replacement has at least the same controls as your current one. In my case, the one I bought also had a sunroof switch, which I don't have. It doesn't hurt anything, but you do want to be sure the "new" one has everything yours has at least, other than the homelink of course.

I have some details in my Build thread linked in sig, but pulling the console down takes a firm pull, so much in fact I was a bit worried the headliner would come down with it lol. Plus there's not a lot of slack in the wiring, so be careful pulling the plugs. Also as stated, the cupholder light is kind of a pain, be careful when pulling it as well.

EDIT - Oh also, you want to pay attention to LED vs incandescent bulbs when you buy, and make sure you get the same as what you currently have.

Why the problem with the LED and standard bulbs?

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Why the problem with the LED and standard bulbs?

I don't believe you can interchange them, this guy ran into issues with an LED overhead console lights not working and he had to flip them back.

kp4243

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
did anyone figure out why the LED lights wouldn't work? I am getting ready to make the swap. Was the connectors different? Or something else?