Race Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2004hemi83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm apparently new to this forum. I have a stock 2004 QC 5.7 hemi, except for headers, cat delete & cutouts. My question is what performance gains would I get from running race gas or would I destroy my motor?

xtreme762

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've been thinking about the same thing lately. I have access to 110 octane at a local airport.

I've used it before in my quads. But I mixed it with 93 octane to lower the rating to a reasonable, and usable level that wouldn't make my engine run too lean.

I figured mixing 1 gallon of 93 with one half gallon of 110 made an octane rating of around 98-100. Which should be low enough to not hurt a lightly modified engine.

But with our HEMI's it may be a completely different story. I'm not sure the PCM would be able to compensate for it without a custom tune.

I'm sure someone around here has done it, and I'm sure they'll chime in.

mondo

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2wd express rcsb
Engine
It will smell good coming out the exhaust....lol. Without a tuner, there would be little to be gained. It will take care of any , short term knock, coming from the knock sensers if there was any knock. But you wouldnt know that with out a tuner that monitors.......

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Save your money and just run premium. The only advantage of race fuel is the ability to add timing into the tune and unless you're getting a custom tune you won't be able to take advantage of it.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's a damn good way to waste 10 bucks or more per gallon.

Quick octane lesson:

Octane resists ignition. The more the fuel has(the higher the number) the more the fuel resists ignition before the spark, meaning no uncontrolled combustion. All stock street engines will run at their peak on 93 octane or below. Running 93 in a vehicle meant to use 87 will neither help nor harm anything. The only time you need higher octane is when the timing or compression exceeds the limits of the fuel youve been using. Thats not gonna happen on a stock truck on a stock tune. 93 is the highest youll need to run. That's pump gas though. Race gas is a broad term that covers all kinds of fuels ranging from 96 octane to up in the 120s. But more goes into race gas than that, it's not just octane boosted pump gas. There's no ethanol in it. Most all race fuel is specialized in some way, and has a specific application. Aviation fuel contains extra oxygenation due to the lack of oxygen at high altitude. Running aviation fuels in street cars can cause problems. Running anything over a mix of VP100 and pump gas in most street cars can cause problems. Running certain fuels like C16, even mixed into pump gas, can melt down catalytic converters.

It's best to leave the race fuel for the people that need it and know how to choose and use it. You know, race cars.

OP
OP

2004hemi83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, you quelled my curiosity. My neighbor stockpiles 114.