Radiator cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
OK, so I'm doing some work on my (new to me) used '12 RAM 2500... I pull the grille off and find that the radiator/AC/cooling units are almost completely occluded with Texas dust/dirt/mud/bugs... Does anyone recommend a cleaning solution I can spray on the coils to loosen up the crud so I can flush the fins out?? I thought about home air conditioner coil cleaning solution but didn't know if it would be too harsh... I could go with the usual standby, Dawn soap and compressed air, but was wondering if anyone knew of a commercial product that worked well but didn't destroy my cooling devices.

Thanks!

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
any all purpose will do the same, something with a degreaser. Or get the stuff from the A/C isle at your local home improvement store to clean coils let it soak then I use a pressure washer from about a foot or more away and watch it sparkle.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
OK, so I'm doing some work on my (new to me) used '12 RAM 2500... I pull the grille off and find that the radiator/AC/cooling units are almost completely occluded with Texas dust/dirt/mud/bugs... Does anyone recommend a cleaning solution I can spray on the coils to loosen up the crud so I can flush the fins out?? I thought about home air conditioner coil cleaning solution but didn't know if it would be too harsh... I could go with the usual standby, Dawn soap and compressed air, but was wondering if anyone knew of a commercial product that worked well but didn't destroy my cooling devices.

Thanks!

Word of advice,pull the shroud and pressure wash it from the backside of the rad,after you use your favorite cleaning solution,if you pressure wash from the front you're just blowing everything farther back into the fins,which will compound your problem down the road

OP
OP
PaulTGarrett

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Thanks William. I just wasn't sure that the off-the-shelf coil cleaning solution might not be too strong for a radiator... Last thing I want is a couple of clean radiator tanks with no fins between them! LOL

Wild, I was going to pull the shroud and maybe even the fan. This thing is -gunked- up... Am going to need some room to get a good back flush on it. I had even considered pulling the radiator out and just flushing it on the ground face down. That is still plan B if cleaning it in place is unsatisfactory...

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks William. I just wasn't sure that the off-the-shelf coil cleaning solution might not be too strong for a radiator... Last thing I want is a couple of clean radiator tanks with no fins between them! LOL

Wild, I was going to pull the shroud and maybe even the fan. This thing is -gunked- up... Am going to need some room to get a good back flush on it. I had even considered pulling the radiator out and just flushing it on the ground face down. That is still plan B if cleaning it in place is unsatisfactory...

It will be fine, the radiator on a car takes a lot more abuse than the one sitting safe in your yard. The fins are stronger on your truck than they are on a home unit. Just be careful not to harm the a/c condenser fin with a brush or get too close with a pressure washer. Chemical wise you’ll be fine with any off the shelf degreaser or like I recommend the A/c aresol foam