radio screen problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reborn55

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Working on 2018 ram bighorn..Has the 8.4 inch screen--when driving the screen keeps saying would you like to reset the clock. you can try to say yes/no or exit and it won't happen--sometimes it wil go back to normal screen for a second of two, other times longer. originally happened only when cold but drove 300 hundred miles the other day--70 degrees out- and it was that way most of the trip--owner had tried disconnecting the battery for awhile and it worked for a little while but then started acting up again. any help greatly appreciated

Knee Deep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Probably starting to delaminate.

yogibear18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Common problem these radios have the glue that adheres to the digitizer gets warm and oozes on it and acts if it being touched (ghosting) is what’s happening, there is fixes like taking the plastic piece off and cleaning off the glue residue off with rubbing alcohol and retaking the edges with two way tape, I tried doing mine and the ribbon that connects below the circuit board fell tore real easy if you aren’t careful, I did I’m out of a radio now, these videos people post make it look easy, my opinion it’s not, better off buying a new oem or aftermarket radio, i recently tried fixing mine like I said, I screwed myself out of radio now

LeeD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can replace the digitizer for around $100. I broke that ribbon cable just trying to only clean the old glue off the first time too.
I used denatured alcohol to clean the glue off and it worked okay.
I’ve actually replaced the digitizer twice as the first one had a lot of dead areas and was also delaminating. You want to get an upgraded version 02 or 03 for the last number. If I can find a link I’ll post it later.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Common problem these radios have the glue that adheres to the digitizer gets warm and oozes on it and acts if it being touched (ghosting) is what’s happening, there is fixes like taking the plastic piece off and cleaning off the glue residue off with rubbing alcohol and retaking the edges with two way tape, I tried doing mine and the ribbon that connects below the circuit board fell tore real easy if you aren’t careful, I did I’m out of a radio now, these videos people post make it look easy, my opinion it’s not, better off buying a new oem or aftermarket radio, i recently tried fixing mine like I said, I screwed myself out of radio now
If it's just the ribbon cable this member might be willing to buy you old radio for parts (he's looking to upgrade).

This is what screen looks likes almost all the time nowView attachment 534354
Your screen is in the early stages of delamination but I've had success with getting rid of the ghost touches and keeping the glue from flowing out by better managing the heat of the radio. Does this happen immediately when on or after driving for a while? Did it first start occurring when you started using the heat more for winter?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517