Ram 1500 Brake pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rajingles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am looking to replace brake pad and rotors. I am looking for a metallic option as that seems to be the best for overall price and reliability. I cant seem to find brake pads with this material. I researched a lot and cannot seem to find the material the OEM brake pads use.

A lot of reviews suggest powerstop brakes however they are carbon fiber-ceramic. Reviews say they do not perform as well and are louder in cold weather. From southern ontario and do alot of winter driving.

Any suggestions? I dont mind using OEM again but if I can get better performance for the same price I would prefer that.

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking to replace brake pad and rotors. I am looking for a metallic option as that seems to be the best for overall price and reliability. I cant seem to find brake pads with this material. I researched a lot and cannot seem to find the material the OEM brake pads use.

A lot of reviews suggest powerstop brakes however they are carbon fiber-ceramic. Reviews say they do not perform as well and are louder in cold weather. From southern ontario and do alot of winter driving.

Any suggestions? I dont mind using OEM again but if I can get better performance for the same price I would prefer that.
I use the Wagner semi-met pads on just about everything I have. The are the SX series.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The wagners would be good. Premium Raybestos too. I use semi-metallic pads as well.

Consider OEM pads (not the Mopar Value pads). The OEM Mopar pads are going to be your best performing pads most likely. They're going to cost more too. The word on the internet is the original pads were supplied to Chrysler by Akebono, ...their Premium pads. And I think Advance Auto can get them. Or probably other parts stores up by you.

The Mopar Value Line pads are supplied by Magneti Marelli which I read are supplied to them by Bremo. IDK how accurate that is, but several searches indicate such. I received Value Line pads thinking I was buying the real-deal Mopar OEM pads. They're not ....and too expensive to ship back to Rock Auto, so I'm going to give them a try as an experiment. Let you guys know in a year. Owners online said they squeak and aren't nearly as good as the OEM pads, and went back to OEMs, but I guess I'll see. LOL. You know how the interwebs can be. If they're terrible, I'll take them off and put something else on. The good side of the Value Line pads is they have a greater brake pad surface area (not tapered on the ends).

So there you have some options and ideas. Mopar OEM factory replacement pads (not Value line) or Akebono Premium's would be tops. Wagners/Raybestos good too. I've had some parts store brand pads friction material literally rust off the backing pad, so I kind of shy away from OReilly pads lately. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Brake pad channels sound good in theory. And maybe they work great when brand new or in some areas of the country. But after about a year or two the channels seem to get plugged up with debris or brake dust anyway ...so how well to they allow off-gassing? And ultimately you end up with 10-15% less pad friction area. So...IDK if it's a good gimmick, or how much they *actually* improve performance in normal everyday street driving (not racing). And when they get worn to 30% ...will one of the segmented pieces break off (shortening the life)?? I worry about that. They look good though.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Installed power stop Z36 pads and rotors on my '16 and it stops better than any pickup I have ever owned.

Being in NC and having just installed, have no comment on winter performance.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wagner OEX pads and e coated rotors.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

I'm in Michigan and have had Power Stops on my 2015 HD for several years with out a single issue. They are quiet, do not load up with debris, and do not fade even when pulling 16K of trailer. I have not experienced what you have read. I also had Power Stops on my 2013 1500 that I traded in on my 2022. When the 2022 is ready for brakes, Power Stops will be on the top of the list for consideration.

BLUEDERANGO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I am going to have to jump on the wagon here! I have found that the Power Stop brakes work extremely well and made a totally great difference in the braking capabilities of my trucks and Durangos. Replace the pads and rotors together and follow their break-in recommendations. Also if your truck has a few miles on it I recommend checking/replacing the front wheel bearings at the same time. The original bearings are not known for their long-lividity. TIMKIN makes a reasonably priced bearing with a lifetime warranty. You can source all these items on Amazon.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I have the PowerStop Z36 package and they are incredible brakes. No issues with noise, or cold related things either.

As long as one properly breaks them in (per the PowerStop recommended procedure as indicated on their website) you'll not have any issues.

I also recommend you do a thorough brake fluid flush and fill as well. Brake fluid is only good for so long and then it gets contaminated with moisture and its usefulness (reliability) is greatly diminished. I went with Motul DOT 5.1 and it took almost 2 liters of fluid to do a thorough flush and fill up to the proper level in the reservoir.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
I did metallic replacements ( OE is metallic) as my stockers were squealing at 40k. They squealed with new coated Wagner premium rotors within a few thousand miles. I tried EBC yellow pads (metallic) and they squealed around 8k miles. I took @Burla advice and got the Wagner OEX ceramic pads and they have been quiet for 5k miles and dust like 1/16 of the stock and EBC pads. Stopping is good as well. I would go with Wagner OEX and it was less than $100 off Amazon for the 4 wheels.

dodgepdw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I use green stuff is the name they have different colors for different applications. But i use to go thru pads and rotors every year towing my 5600lbs baja and that was 3years ago still have them in but maybe will need replacing at end of this summer. Just do a search for green stuff brake pads. You get what you pay for i won't use anything else after trying these.

Hardracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 1500 laramie 4x4 crew cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll jump in here too...I just changed my pads bout 3 weeks ago..went with the Wagners which led to 2 new calipers...(wait til you see this).had tires rotated and rebalanced ,found a bunch of weights missing on 2 tires bout 2 months ago..guy said front pads are gettin low...said thanks ill take care of it.
I've had the truck for about 75k now had 73k when I got it...I or anybody have never been Into the brakes since I've owned it...
So I open up the drivers side .hey these don't look to low but ok...but i found (pic)what can only be describe as holy s*#t!!....pulled the pass. side,did find bout 1/4 "on top and zero on the bottom of 1 pad...easy..1 stuck piston...to my amazement this truck stopped fine in every way,no noise,no pulling 1 side or the other....just blows my mind how the drivers side even worked....my guess someone before me changed some pads and didn't retract the caliper far enough and caught on the backside rivet things on the pad...broke the piston,2 pieces still in there...I tore it open to see it better....
Sorry for the long write up.

Attachments

• 20230617_143647.jpg
    20230617_143647.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230617_143631.jpg
    20230617_143631.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 29

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good thing you looked them over!

My guess is the former owner or dufus mechanic tried to get on one with a pliers (who knows why?), or tried to pry the caliiper and got on the piston ...and broke it. Chrysler uses phenolic pistons, which is like a bakelite "brittle" plastic. They have a stainless cap on them which contacts the brake pads ...so to the untrained eye it look like a steel piston. But they're not, and they'll crack if ya get on them with a pliers (I've done it).

It's actually a superior design. The SS cap gives some strength and robustness to the surface (SS is a poor heat conductor too). Phenolic pistons don't transfer heat as well too the caliper (less likely to overheat brake fluid), they won't rust or chip like a chrome-plated piston would (and do). It's possible it also lubricates the seal better too. Part's store calipers with chrome-plated steel-pistons are an inferior product IMO. But of course they work fine. Replacement phenolic pistons are avail through chrysler or RockAuto.

I popped the pistons out of our old '03 Jeep calipers last year just to see how they looked inside. They still look great! No problems, put them back together and good to go.

Glad you got your brakes figured out ...and it should be safer now :waytogo:

Last edited:

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put on R1 Concept Geomet rotors with ceramic pads. My truck can stop way shorter than it used to. The second best thing is they never rust. Now I don't go through salt but just sitting there between drives they don't get that surface rust. These will stop your truck way better than your stock pads and look better doing it. Now I ordered them straight from the vendor and got front and rear. This is just a quick link to what they are.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517